Sign in to follow this  
themightysrc

Do I need to upgrade, and by how much?

Hi all,

I've been playing RB3D for donkey's (years, that is), FE since the middle of last year and latterly I've discovered OFF:BHaH. In that time, I've been through a few different PCs and versions of Windows, in effect always playing catch up as my wallet permitted. My current setup is a dual core 2.8 Intel system with 1mb of RAM and a Radeon 7000 video card, which means that my heavily patched RB3D does odd things, but is quick, FE does nice things, but stutters as it passes data back and forth (I assume), but OFF can only really run on 1-2 vid settings and is still a little stuttery when working hard.

Given that I don't have endless reserves of dosh - who does? - would I be better off ditching the Radeon card for another one, or should I simply try to stuff more RAM into the box, to bring it up to at least 2 and preferably 3mb?

I know this is probably noddy stuff to most of you, but I'm not a PC expert, and would appreciate your opinions.

Cheers,

Si

try a little of both. a bit more ram and a better card (if possible) I got a Geforce 8600gt 1gig card for $150.00 U.S.

try a little of both. a bit more ram and a better card (if possible) I got a Geforce 8600gt 1gig card for $150.00 U.S.

Hi Viper,

Well, given that memory is as cheap as (RAM) chips, i guess it's that first and then more major outlay. Thanks for your response.

Cheers,

Si