Sign in to follow this  
Womenfly2

So, you would like to build a WW-1 plane ....

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

This is pretty cool!

You can read more here along with the rest of the videos and pictures.

Enjoy,

WF2

Damn!..WF2... I was hoping this was going to be another Gmax tuitorial!! :smile:

Damn!..WF2... I was hoping this was going to be another Gmax tuitorial!! :smile:

It is! Buy the kit and then model all the parts on your computer. Geeeeee! How simple do you want it. :rofl:

LOL,

WF2

Thanks for sharing WF2,

I've never really understood though, why if your going to go to all the time, trouble and expense to build a WWI type airplane why you would do one of the 3/4 or 7/8 scale ones? If I were going to do it I'd do it full size. I'm thinking a full size Nieuport 11 would be a perfect subject for the home builder. The other thing I've always thought odd of the home built crowd is that no one has come up with a modern, reliable rotory engine. I would think that with modern machining equipment and material one could be built that would be reliable and affordable. I think you could use a splash type electronic fuel injection with a throttle body that would allow you to have a working throttle (vice having to rely on a blip button for speed control). Sleeved aluminum cylinders and an aluminum crankcase would keep weight and gyroscopic procession down. You'd still need to have a total loss oil system but with modern lubricants at least you could use one that wouldn't make the pilot sick :smile: Just seeing even the small scale home built planes with VW engines in them just looks wrong.

Scott

Edited by Hoghead

I agree HedgeHog. People build these to keep the engine cost down and to use what they can get fairly reasonable. There are many other factors to, like loss of medicals, inexperience, simplified building, availability of plans, enegines .... on and on.

There are people that are building new rotary engines, just write them a check for $20,000.00 plus and you too can have the WW-1 engine for the plane of your dreams.

"Ooooo" and you will need to remove yourself from a social life for a few years too to build it ..... sorry forgot, the social life thing, we play OFF, never mind.

I say go for it .... keep us updated with photos and progress on your build, we are all pulling for you. Maybe build a two-seater, 1-1/2 Strutter, so you can give us all here rides when your done!

LOL,

WF2

Edited by Womenfly2

There are people that are building new rotary engines, just write them a check for $20,000.00 plus and you too can have the WW-1 engine for the plane of your dreams.

If you can afford an airplane at all, you can afford a $20K motor :). I mean, otherwise, the sheer cost of Depends or whatever you need to use to account for the steady diet of castor oil combined with high positive G would bankrupt most folks :biggrin:

Edited by Bullethead

I agree HedgeHog. People build these to keep the engine cost down and to use what they can get fairly reasonable. There are many other factors to, like loss of medicals, inexperience, simplified building, availability of plans, enegines .... on and on.

"Ooooo" and you will need to remove yourself from a social life for a few years too to build it ..... sorry forgot, the social life thing, we play OFF, never mind.

I say go for it .... keep us updated with photos and progress on your build, we are all pulling for you. Maybe build a two-seater, 1-1/2 Strutter, so you can give us all here rides when your done!

LOL,

WF2

WF2

First I'd have to get my pilots license, I've always wanted to but the cost prevented me in the past. Now I can afford it but don't have the time. However if I were going to do it I'd do it full scale. Like I said it would see to me that the Bebe would be in the same realm cost and construction difficulty wise as most of the kit planes currently available. I'm guessing though that there would be no kit available and so would have to be built from plans. Seems the Fokker DVII would be a good candidate also. Steel tube construction (no cabinet makers level wood working skills necessary) Wings could be done with modern components ie aluminum spars and ribs again eliminating wood working skills. Additionally I would think there would be a number of light weight inline engines that could be used for a power plant. As for the rotories are these reproductions of the originals or redesigned engines that just happen to be rotories? Other than the total loss oil system, I'd think a user friendly rotory would be very possible with fuel injection and electronic ignition systems. I'm just musing mind you. I do a lot of R/C modeling and today you can purchase working turbine jet engines for R/C planes along with working rotory radials.

Scott