I've been testing many aircraft with SF2 (as i'm a new user) and i've noticed some have a bug where the shadow goes from one wing tip to the ground? This seems to occure on Wrench's F-86E-10 and (i think not 100% as i'm not playing it atm) Dave's F3H Demon. I'm not knocking the mods in anyway, i'm just wondering if i'm doing something wrong or is it due to the fact they were designed for SFP1 not SF2?

It's been coverd several hundred times, my brother, since the Patches came out in 9/08 & 10/08. I'm assuming that SF2 using the same type of rendering style as the PostPatch SF/WoV/WoE/WoI.

So, what does that mean?? A lot of earler mods will NOT cast their shadows properly. This is caused by various and sundry VERY small faults in the aircraft lod files. There's aboslutely NOTHING that can be done about, short of rebuilding the aricraft COMPLETELY in MAX.

This is how the game engine 'sees' shadows, postpatch:

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=800

THOSE lines are the cause of the "black beam to the ground" line.

Here's what you need to do...we'll start with the Sabre, as I've just been working on another variant

Open the F-86E-10.ini (in this case I'm showing the one that due to come out this week)

this is what the ini looks like, with the shadow section highlighted..

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=F-86E Sabre (FAH)

AircraftDataFile=F-86E-FAH_data.ini

CockpitDataFile=F-86F_cockpit.ini

HangarScreen=FAH_Sabre_Hangar.bmp

LoadoutImage=F-86F_Loadout.bmp

LoadoutFile=F-86E_loadout.ini

[LOD001]

Filename=F86F_001.lod

Distance=100

[LOD002]

Filename=F86F_002.lod

Distance=250

[LOD003]

Filename=F86F_003.lod

Distance=500

[LOD004]

Filename=F86F_004.lod

Distance=1000

[LOD005]

Filename=F86F_005.lod

Distance=8000

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowLOD=F86F_shadow.shd

ShadowType=1

ShadowCastDist=5000

MaxVisibleDistance=400

[DamageTexture]

DamagedPostFix=_Holes.tga

DestroyedPostFix=_Shredded.tga

[TextureSet001]

Directory=FAH

Name=Fuerza Aérea Hondureña

Nation=Honduras

Squadron=Escuadrón Sabre

Specular=0.400000

Glossiness=0.400000

Reflection=0.000000

Now, The Great and Powerful Zur has done a great thing here; when he relesed the Sabres, he'd also created a SHD, which is the lod for the shadow. And it works fine, post patch.

The alternative is the just comment OUT the lines for the shadow for that particular aircraft, in it's own ini. In the case of those WITH the old style shadow callout , you just change the TRUE to FALSE. Thusly:

[shadow]

CastShadow=FALSE

ShadowLOD=F86F_shadow.shd

ShadowType=1

ShadowCastDist=5000

MaxVisibleDistance=400

For those using the NEW style, like this:

[shadow]

CastShadow=FALSE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=800

BTW, this WHOLE issue is also covered in "The Things You Need to Update Thread" in the knowlege base, wherein we mentions glitches and the (hopefuly) fixes for them.

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks, Wrench, I didnt find anything on a quick search related to SF2 so i thought i'd at least ask. Thank you for your thorough reply.