Sign in to follow this  
tc223

Lomac $29.90

How do retailers do this?

Do they all just agree to sell at manufacturers *suggested* retail price (MSRP) or what?

How does one seller suddenly come out and slash his price like this?

Does the developer still get the same amount for the original product?

Publishers still get the same amount. Some retailers are willing to take a loss for promotions like that (No doubt they are). If you catch those deals you make out :) I can live with it.

xpbargains.com is another good one to watch for stuff like hardware. I've picked up some killer deals on hard drives and stuff before.

Yep, GoGamer is known for such promotions. I wish they would make a discount on MaxPayne 2 or KOTOR though! tc223, you have had good experience with xpbargains, I take it? Never heard of 'em.

Oops, never mind, just checked them out. They seem to be running a bit higher than GoGamer across the board.

Edited by Vegas

The devs and publishing company have already been paid. They get paid as soon as the store places an order from the factory. The game store my roommate is the manager for actually pays about $33 to $35 for a $49 game from the factory. The stores have to mark up the price to $49 in order to pay for employee's and other store expenses. This is why usually online you can find games cheaper as it usually is just a warehouse. However, most states have what you could call tariffs in place that force online retailers to raise the price to about the same as retail stores. If not a lot of game stores would be out of business.

The MSRP actually sets the suggested retail price nationwide. It really is sort of a protection for us consumers as we can look up the standardized price of the game. So if we walk into a store and some jerk has it for $90. We know just how badly we are getting screwed

So my friend can lower the price on a game $10 and sell if for $39 and still make $6 in profit. However, that profit has to usually go right back into store expenses. The more you dig into business practices the more you realize just how consumer dependent the US economy is. It's actually quite frightening when you look at.

Thanks for the tip, I got my order in with an hour to spare.

I had been looking all over town for a copy of Lock On for the past 3 days with no success and I was already resigned to ordering it online, so you just saved me $4 or so (the shipping was $5.99).

Edited by Sal_

my view not worth it really, by the time post and package is added =nearly

$40,be as well going in store getting it. what a big saving of $5.

Edited by ARCHER

Good point. When I buy from Go Gamer, I usually try to pick up a few titles that I am interested in. Free shipping, a free T-Shirt, some candy and a good price. If I have to have it right away, I usually visit EB.

:)

Oops, correction to my last post. Priority shippping is $5.99 even if you order three games. Still not too bad considering what your getting.