Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

Problem with Balloons in version 1.26+hotfix

I have OFF (P3) patched up to version 1.26 plus the Hotfix and everything was looking awesome (I specially liked the improved Damage model) but sudently I found a very annoying bug which wasn't present in previous versions of OFF:

- Now the balloons (at least the German ones) aren't either destructable (in a attack railyard mission I happened to decide to attack one balloon without managing to destroy it despite the many bullets that I hit it with) or either in a balloon busting mission after I hit a few bullets in the target balloon I saw it "change" to the destroyed texture/object but it didn't explode or burned like happened in the previous versions of OFF and I also didn't receive the "German Balloon destroyed" messenge like I was suposed to receive (and that I did in the previous versions of OFF) and I also didn't had the chance to fill the claim report regarding the balloon (it was as if I didn't destroy the balloon), again like happened in the previous versions of OFF-P3.

Curiously the ballons also don't appear in the "radar" and therefore it's impossible to send wingmen to attack the balloons.

Please take a look at this problem since this is a very annoying one (even more annoying since it wasn't present in the older versions of OFF-P3).

BTW, is there any "temporary fix" for this problem? Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

I have OFF (P3) patched up to version 1.26 plus the Hotfix and everything was looking awesome (I specially liked the improved Damage model) but sudently I found a very annoying bug which wasn't present in previous versions of OFF:

- Now the balloons (at least the German ones) aren't either destructable (in a attack railyard mission I happened to decide to attack one balloon without managing to destroy it despite the many bullets that I hit it with) or either in a balloon busting mission after I hit a few bullets in the target balloon I saw it "change" to the destroyed texture/object but it didn't explode or burned like happened in the previous versions of OFF and I also didn't receive the "German Balloon destroyed" messenge like I was suposed to receive (and that I did in the previous versions of OFF) and I also didn't had the chance to fill the claim report regarding the balloon (it was as if I didn't destroy the balloon), again like happened in the previous versions of OFF-P3.

Curiously the ballons also don't appear in the "radar" and therefore it's impossible to send wingmen to attack the balloons.

Please take a look at this problem since this is a very annoying one (even more annoying since it wasn't present in the older versions of OFF-P3).

BTW, is there any "temporary fix" for this problem? Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

I have to admit, you are the first to flag this one. We'll have to look into it. First we'll have to re-create the problem.

If you get a chance, can you attack another one and post the results. We need to know if it's the one balloon or all of them doing it.

Thanks,

OvS

Ok, I was flying in a quick dogfight mission (me flying in a Sopwith Triplane against an Albatroz) and after I shot down the enemy aircraft I decided to take one more look into the balloons (by travelling to the enemy lines) and I noticed that the balloons are now (with version 1.26) much more resistant to machine gun fire than before (or am I wrong?) - I manage to destroy a balloon by making 2 passes and fire lots of bullets (more than 100), so this should explain my first problem (the balloon appearing to be indestructable).

But nevertheless there's still the problem where after I hit the (target) balloon with a few bullets I saw it "change" to the destroyed texture/object but it didn't explode or burned like it should. There's a diference here since in this latter situation the balloon was a mission objective ("balloon busting" mission) where in previous cases it wasn't.

I will definitly try to play an another "balloon busting" mission in order to see if I can re-create the problem. I just hope to be lucky so that I get one of those missions in the campaign as soon as possible.

I just finished a balloon busting mission in the campaign (RFC-29) where I experienced a similar problem as the one that I previously posted in here where after hitting the balloon several times that balloon "changed" to destroyed balloon object and again without burning or exploding! Also please notice that this "destroyed balloon object" always keep "floating" in the air without ever going towards the ground (like happened in the previous versions). The only diference from this latest experience of mine from the previous one, was that in this last one I did get the "balloon destroyed" messenge (and therefore I was credited with the kill).

No one else with the issue?

Maybe try a "reset CFS3" ricnunes. (you will lose pilots) We did no changes to balloons at all. In fact your bullets are now even stronger.

We have to slow down now, we can't verify every persons possible "bug" immediately, first thing is try the basics on your install unless someone else can confirm the problem?

Well I really didn't try the "reset CFS3" because I will loose my pilot after playing which after surviving lots and lots of mission with flying that crappy Airco DH2 and managing to get 15 confirmed kills so far would be an extremelly frustrating thing to happen!

Isn't there a way to "reset CFS3" while don't losing the pilot?? Maybe a way to backup the pilot? Again it's very frustrating to lose pilots (after lots of missions) this way.

I would also like to know if there are other with the same issue? (Balloons in the campaign - Balloon busting mission)

This in order to know if this is really a bug or something lets say "wrong" with my instalation.

For example, does this happen to you Polovski?

I received a mission to go shoot down a balloon just now. I arrived at the destination, and there was no balloon there. Is this just something that may randomly occur in the campaign engine, or is it a bug?

No unfortunately there is no way to fix issues that could be related to settings by not deleting pilots and player settings.

I have never seen that no ricnunes, but I am too busy to fly balloon busting missions at the moment to check your issue - if others have the same issue then we can look at.

Maybe if I fly later I will try - you must understand it is very difficult to personally check out every single reported possibility unless others also see it and we think it is a bug?

flynnj no idea. We'll see when others have flown some balloon missions?

I have never seen that no ricnunes, but I am too busy to fly balloon busting missions at the moment to check your issue - if others have the same issue then we can look at.

Maybe if I fly later I will try - you must understand it is very difficult to personally check out every single reported possibility unless others also see it and we think it is a bug?

Yes I understand that it's very difficult to personally check out every single reported issue, but I think this issue is quite easy to confirm (or dismiss) - All people need to do is to fly a balloon busting mission in the campaign (probably the hardest thing here is to "wait" until the player receives a balloon busting mission).

But yes, I would like to see others confirming or dismissing this same issue.

Yes quite easy just takes time....

Many others are playing and flying they will soon no doubt fly balloon busting I am sure and report back. Many have already I am sure flown balloon busting with 1.26 and 1.28 (which you should update to) and not reported this too... so that does indictate it is likely your setup, but we canwait to see if anyone else has seen this..

Anyone out there flown a successful balloon mission recently?

Last night I did a QC and after I dispatched my foe, I set off after an airfield and a balloon. Previously, I was able to flame both planes on the ground and balloons with ease (though in campaign mode). Since 1.27, the strafing run was getting hits but no real results. The balloon took over 300 rounds dead on at close range. It did not explode like previously, just turned to a flat brown mass which floated there. Before, balloons would explode and drop to the ground. I'm not sure if this is just due to QC as I haven't been able to get a balloon mission in campaign yet.

OK I managed to check balloon missions, I saw 4 balloons destroyed, 3 were fine, 1 showed no damage etc as above, so probably why not many reports.

We'll look into it, may not be fixable as it's random but we can look...

Just flew an airfield attack mission and popped a balloon on the way out. It burned after two or three bursts and went down to the ground in flames. Flying ALB DII for MFG1 in 12/1916.

Yeah seems to be a problem with ground objects in CFS3 -same with the trucks that don't always explode correctly. If you see if hang in the air shoot it some some it should explode.