Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Star Trek Trailer 3 out

You said it my friend! Can't wait!

I saw it in HD during Heroes and it looked awesome!

May will be a busy month for films. Wolverine, Star Trek, Angels and Demons, Terminator 4, Night at the Museum 2, Up...lots of big name and budget films coming out.

Saw this when I went to see The Watchmen. It blew me away. Then the Watchmen blew me away and I forgot all about it. I don't think I like the new look of the Romulans though.

I'm just pissed at some of the trek fans being upset with this film. It's like they actually want to see Star Trek die. I think this movie will be great. JJ Abrams has done an awesome job on Alias, Lost, Mission Impossible 3 (about as good as the first one if not better), and Cloverfield. I have no doubts that he'll make this movie bad ass.

Star Trek needed something new after Voyager ended. Enterprise was not it. The concept was fine (although not great) but the execution was flawed. Nemesis as well.

This is a blending of what ST:TOS was and Star Wars. "Real" Trekkies don't like Star Wars and are upset by any attempt to change ST, but the truth is every Star Wars film did better than the best of the ST films in the box office (ST4 which broke $100m).

I hope one day we'll see another ST series, although when or what I've no idea, but for now this Abrams film is it.

Trek had an awesome thing going with DS9, but for whatever reason they have completely abandoned it.

Trek had an awesome thing going with DS9, but for whatever reason they have completely abandoned it.

Yeah, considering the show was based on the dramas off a space station, IMHO, it had a lot more going for it than any other series which were based on ships going into the drama. Kind of funny ain't it?

Star Trek needed something new after Voyager ended. Enterprise was not it. The concept was fine (although not great) but the execution was flawed. Nemesis as well.

For me, the problem was the writing, the same stale, predictable writing. Watch any two episodes of Voyager or Enterprise with similar plots ie, a crew member gets kidnapped, crew mates risk all to save them, aliens take over the ship, crew has to claw their way back, etc and you'll see exactly what I mean. They're almost interchangeable. For me, it was like they were picking polts from the earlier series out of a hat and Voyagerising it, or something. Having someone like Abrams come in will do a lot for it, break it out of it's nice comfy, conservative shell. And I don't mean conservative in any kind of political sense or any of that BS, just take a look at Tom Paris. He was supposed to be the "Wild" "risk-takey" type! How family friendly was he?? I mean, I must be the devil compared to him!

You know what, if the 'core' fans get pissy, let 'em. It looks fantastic (so far) and it looks to give Trek that updated, edgy feel it's been lacking since TOS/TMP. If they wanna get their Cap'n Kirk panties in a twist over nit picky things like continuity or that Romulans aren't Bald, let 'em go for it. Most of us will be getting into it or trying to figure out how we dragged our wives and girlfriends to see it! :tongue:

I'm just pissed at some of the trek fans being upset with this film. It's like they actually want to see Star Trek die.

Exactly...I call these folks canonistas...

Seriously, does anyone really think 1960s costumes and sets are going to cut it in the 21st century? Also, ST has always been about the future...so it should look the part methinks.

Finally, the ST universe has always been a little too utopian for me since TOS. DS9 was the first serious effort away from this sanitized version of the future. My wife enjoyed DS9 more than I did (she's always been into the political intrigue stuff...) but you should hear the howls from those who didn't like DS9.

Anyway, the more stuff I see about this flick, the more hopeful I am.

Bring it on!

FC

Oh man, this movie is going to be off the fraking hook! Ok, who got emotional when Kirk took the chair? I did?

Edited by Acidrain

Leonard Nimoy gave it a thumbs up on a recent radio show he was on. Good enough for me.

ST needs a breath of fresh air and I, too, am a fan of Abrams other work.

If anybody is wonderng what the sound track is from the latest trailer, it's "Feedom Fighters" by Two Steps from Hell.