Sign in to follow this  
Jimko

Campaigns: a question

Since I have only recently started using OFF P3, and never having used CFS3, P1 or P2 before this, I wonder if there are some general instructions or guidelines for flying OFF campaigns? Are these documented somewhere, or are they the same general instructions contained in the CFS 3 guides that are in the Help menu? I would like to find some kind of general info about flying waypoints, mapping, etc.

in OFF P3.

Here and there I've seen posts where others refer to things like dragging aircraft into positions and I have no idea what they are talking about.

I hope that the question isn't ridiculous... but I can't find any concise information on how to properly fly OFF campaigns.

Thanks for any help!

Here and there I've seen posts where others refer to things like dragging aircraft into positions and I have no idea what they are talking about.

Never heard of anything like that...maybe you are thinking of mission building? Don't get freaked out...nothing to worry about.

Really, no special instructions needed to fly campaigns. It has always seemed very intuitive to me. You get missions assigned and you just fly them. Don't be afraid, just dive right in :good: and learn as you go.

Welcome aboard.

I would like to find some kind of general info about flying waypoints, mapping, etc.

Well, when you go to fly a mission, the waypoints will already be set up for you to follow. You'll need to use the map and/or the TAC display to see them, though, to know where to go. On the TAC, there's a blue line pointing to the next waypoint. Just turn until that line is vertical to the top and you're heading for that waypoint. When you get there, the line will change to point at the next waypoint.

If you look at the map, you can see the flightplan with all the waypoints on it. If you want to cut corners, there's a command you can do in-flight that cycles through the waypoints so you can skip ones. Say you want to just go home. Cycle until you're on the last waypoint, which is near your home 'drome.

There's no click-and-drag interface, if that's what you mean.

To me, "dragging" aircraft around is 1/2 of the tactical move called "drag and bag". The idea is, you get the enemy chasing you (hopefully he's just outside of guns range on you), totally concentrating on killing you. Thus, he doesn't bother to check his own 6. This allows you to "drag" the enemy into a position where one of your squaddies can swoop in and "bag" him :).

I hope that the question isn't ridiculous... but I can't find any concise information on how to properly fly OFF campaigns.

Just create a pilot first and make him active. In the process of this, you'll pick his name, rank, fighter/bomber job, squadron, and timeframe. Once done with that, hit the CAMPAIGN button, read the news, meet the other pilots in your squadron. Then go to the briefing, then go fly. Simple as that.

Nah...it's not a big deal, believe me. But, I tried a mission to find out that no compass bearings are given...unlike CFS2 which I was used to. I then discovered that apparently you have to pull up the map to see where you are heading and from that you can get a compass reading...I guess! Before I found the target (railway yard), archie blew my controls to pieces and that was the end of that. I can see that finding ground targets is going to be a tricky endeavor!

After this, I started to wonder what other tools, practices and procedures I'm unaware of in flying campaigns, that's all.

Are we supposed to rely on a lot of ground object identification for bearings as they did in WW1? If so, it begs the question...is the modeling of terrain, buildings and other objects exact enough for that in this sim? Perhaps it is

So, I will muddle on since perhaps I've discovered all there is...to discover!

Mission briefing shows you were you are heading, so makes notes. Also map in game (M) shows you too.

Visual awareness "radar" (shift+t) shows blue line for heading too.

F5 brings up extra instruments on screen, compass etc. OR if you look around most pits have compass somewhere (SPAD down inside left, Tripe middle of dash, Albs down right etc.. EIII on right wing, DFW on left wing :)

Welcome aboard.

Well, when you go to fly a mission, the waypoints will already be set up for you to follow. You'll need to use the map and/or the TAC display to see them, though, to know where to go. On the TAC, there's a blue line pointing to the next waypoint. Just turn until that line is vertical to the top and you're heading for that waypoint. When you get there, the line will change to point at the next waypoint.

If you look at the map, you can see the flightplan with all the waypoints on it. If you want to cut corners, there's a command you can do in-flight that cycles through the waypoints so you can skip ones. Say you want to just go home. Cycle until you're on the last waypoint, which is near your home 'drome.

There's no click-and-drag interface, if that's what you mean.

To me, "dragging" aircraft around is 1/2 of the tactical move called "drag and bag". The idea is, you get the enemy chasing you (hopefully he's just outside of guns range on you), totally concentrating on killing you. Thus, he doesn't bother to check his own 6. This allows you to "drag" the enemy into a position where one of your squaddies can swoop in and "bag" him :).

Just create a pilot first and make him active. In the process of this, you'll pick his name, rank, fighter/bomber job, squadron, and timeframe. Once done with that, hit the CAMPAIGN button, read the news, meet the other pilots in your squadron. Then go to the briefing, then go fly. Simple as that.

Thanks for the comments...good stuff! You just got your post in ahead of my last one, so you've cleared up a couple of things for me. I better go and take a better look at the TAC, since I don't think that I've seen the blue line or the waypoints on it. I guess I'm not familiar with CFS3 and that could be part of the problem, as it is different. I better go and have a good look at CFS3 instructions as well.

I thought I saw a post once where someone talked about dragging...it sounded like he was rearranging members of his flight, perhaps. I just read it quickly while I was hunting for something else. But, not a problem as I was just curious about it and I used it as an example of new things I haven't yet discovered in this sim... :unsure:

Thanks again, Bullethead!

Dragging the on screen instruments. Press F5, now click on a dial, and drag it. I think you have to hold Ctrl key down too.

Mission briefing shows you were you are heading, so makes notes. Also map in game (M) shows you too.

Visual awareness "radar" (shift+t) shows blue line for heading too.

F5 brings up extra instruments on screen, compass etc. OR if you look around most pits have compass somewhere (SPAD down inside left, Tripe middle of dash, Albs down right etc.. EIII on right wing, DFW on left wing :)

Hi Pol...roger that as in my last post. I'll check out the TAC carefully. The compass in the cockpit works well and is not a problem; I'm used to them from the past CFS2 life.

Re F5 though...I've discovered that it doesn't work in OFF P3 although it does work in CFS3. I've tested it both ways and under different conditions. Not a big deal, but...?? I reloaded OFF yesterday due to some sound corruption, but the sound stutter still happens and F5 still doesn't work. I'm still mulling over the sound issue and the occasional freeze-up or crash and reboot.

The F5 situation seems strange, check your overrides, for a possible Disable HUD. Because that'd do it.

A great cheat would be the ( Z ) key, aside from your F.P.S. it shows your current course in Degrees

Sooo you bring up the TAC (shft+T) make sure to get that blue neon line vertical, then just look up, and you'll see your course degrees

Ohhhhh....of course! I followed the suggested instructions for setting up the CFG and forgot that "Disable HUD" was in there! Good man! What a silly thing to get caught on...that's what happens when everything is so new, I guess! Thanks a lot. I re-installed OFF because of the sound issue just to see if it would change and I hadn't really bothered looking at the F5 problem very much, but you've saved me time chasing it down!

I've been out all afternoon but now I'm going to carefully check out the TAC display as applied in campaigns.

Ok...no wonder I didn't remember seeing a "blue" line on the TAC that so many of you described. On mine it's green...I must have the cheap version...it must be the same thing.

I was a bit confused about which TAC display works best for a campaign but now I set it for "air" as suggested in "Tips and Cheats". The other TAC settings such as "all" don't seem very useful to me unless I'm missing something important about them.

If those are the main issues in flying campaigns, I'm good to go.

Thanks a lot guys!