Sign in to follow this  
Madprof

Track IR with WOI/WOE/WOV ?

Is anybody using Track IR with WOI/WOE/WOV? I'm very interestested in purchasing one and wanted to know if they really are as good as they sound.Any feedback would be really helpful,thanks.

Yes they are fantastic - you can zoom in with your head too in these games.

I wouldnt fly without one - takes a bit of getting used to - also make sure you have the sensor on the monitor pointing away from sun light.

I have tweaked the viewlist.ini file to give a bit more freedom of movement - so just say if you want that when you get it.

Works really well, very pleased that I bought one.

It is a necessary tool for flight sims.... although it does make you look like a bit of a geek when you clip on the reflectors to your hat. Don't expect to be hooking up with a lot of chicks with it.

Edited by serverandenforcer

i was a skeptic but now a convert. :D

It is a necessary tool for flight sims.... although it does make you look like a bit of a geek when you clip on the reflectors to your hat. Don't expect to be hooking up with a lot of chicks with it.

All you really have to do is remember to take it off before running out the door and you won't get all of the funny stares that I got.

Sorry for my poor knowledge but what are You talkig about... :blush: What is Track IR system... :dntknw: Is this a mod which I can download... :tumbleweed:

Sorry for my poor knowledge but what are You talkig about... :blush: What is Track IR system... :dntknw: Is this a mod which I can download... :tumbleweed:

It's not a mod but a hardware addon, that is supported in many games these days but works spectacularly with flight and driving sims. There are two physical components, one is a little IR camera that mounts to the top of your monitor. The other is (I think there are a few ways you can do this part now) a metal clip that you put on a baseball cap that has 3 reflectors on it. The IR camera reads the relative position of these reflectors on it and translates it into head movement in your game. So, you're flying along in your plane (you must be in the virtual cockpit view) and you want to look left - just turn your head and the viewpoint follows. Up, down, left right just turn your head a bit. Games that support "6 degrees of freedom" (6DOF) are even better - you can move laterally or even move your head closer and it will zoom in as if you were moving your head closer to the panel to read a guage or something. It's very cool and adds a lot to the immersion!

I will anticipate a common question - "How can I see the screen if I'm turning my head?". It is scaled so that a relatively small movement is required to turn the view a long way. For example you can have your head turned 30 or 45 degrees from the screen and still see it easily but the viewpoint in the game can be looking over your shoulder. How much you need to turn and how fast the rotation responds is all customizable, but I use mine almost exactly as it came "out of the box". The hardest part is learning to control your head movements so you can stay focused on one spot if you need to - but a handy way to remedy that (like if you need to do an instrument scan and don't want to hold perfectly still) is using a hotkey to temporarily pause the TrackIR and then turn it back on when you want your eyes out of the cockpit.

I think most people will tell you once you try it and get comfortable with it, there's no going back. It's indispensible in a dogfight, I used to get disoriented in seconds during hard maneuvering using snap views with the hat switch (or worse, VC panning with the hat switch) or internal padlock views. It's way better now with TrackIR, you always know which way you're looking (where's your head pointing?) and it reacts very fast - no more waiting for the manual pan rate to catch up.

I don't know what the cost is these days, I got mine a couple years ago and I think it was around $150 - $180 (US). I actually think it's worth it, it has made that much of a difference for me. If you can swing it, I'd say buy it - I doubt you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the replies guys,guess you're telling me what I expected to hear,that this gizmo is a brilliant addition to the flight sim kit.