Sign in to follow this  
Jimko

"Options" drop-down menu box is empty

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to CA with the OFF gang and I have two issues that puzzle me:

1. I don't get anything at all in the "Options" drop-down menu for a forum topic and the same for the "Forum Options", so I can't subscribe to a topic, email it, etc.
  2. There is text under my avatar info that reads "Warn ****". Have I been bad?

Thanks for any help!

1) humm....on second look....I'm not see the issue....let me look again.

2) No, every members has that under their Avatar. It's a tool that moderators can use to keep the Trolls under the bridge

What browser are you using?

1) humm....on second look....I'm not see the issue....let me look again.

2) No, every members has that under their Avatar. It's a tool that moderators can use to keep the Trolls under the bridge

Hi Fates,

I'm using IE 8.

I don't see the "Warn" under other users' avatars, just mine. It doesn't seem to show up for most people who log in as users. Maybe you can see it for all the users as administrator.

Do you have Java installed on your machine? I believe those buttons are Java applets.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Erik

Hi Erik,

I thought that you had found the answer as I have just rebuilt and reloaded my pc and forgot to install Java. But, I used the link you provided to reinstall Java and it hasn't changed the drop down menu. I have rebooted to make sure and verified that Java is installed with the latest update. Still nothing in that "Options" menu box. I am using IE 8.

And that "Warn" thing is still under my avatar info although as a user, I don't see it on others' avatars, just mine. Maybe administrators see it on all the users, but regular users don't??

Any other ideas?

The warn notification is standard with all members. You can see your warn level but you can't see other people's warn level just like they can't see yours. Basically it's a moderator's tool and will always be there. Ignore it unless you've done something that warrants a moderator warning you about, which I doubt will ever happen.

IE8 ... That explains it. Because IE8 is still Beta software I hate to even begin diagnosing problems. It's possible that Java isn't supported under IE8 at this time as they might not have released a Java platform for IE8. I really don't know how to advise you on that.

I would however do the following. Download and install FireFox. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

You can then use that browser to determine if it's a browser issue, which I'm betting.

As a side note: IE8 is designed for higher strength security while web browsing. One of the options in the Tools > Options > Advanced? (I think) allows you to put a check mark (select a radio button) but allowing java applets to run. I'm guessing but I'm betting the security on your stock installation of IE8 is probably set to not allow java or popups from our site.

Erik

The warn notification is standard with all members. You can see your warn level but you can't see other people's warn level just like they can't see yours. Basically it's a moderator's tool and will always be there. Ignore it unless you've done something that warrants a moderator warning you about, which I doubt will ever happen.

IE8 ... That explains it. Because IE8 is still Beta software I hate to even begin diagnosing problems. It's possible that Java isn't supported under IE8 at this time as they might not have released a Java platform for IE8. I really don't know how to advise you on that.

I would however do the following. Download and install FireFox. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

You can then use that browser to determine if it's a browser issue, which I'm betting.

As a side note: IE8 is designed for higher strength security while web browsing. One of the options in the Tools > Options > Advanced? (I think) allows you to put a check mark (select a radio button) but allowing java applets to run. I'm guessing but I'm betting the security on your stock installation of IE8 is probably set to not allow java or popups from our site.

Erik

Hey Erik,

Roger that re the "Warn" thingy...I understand now!

Java is enabled in IE 8 Tools/Options/Advanced...set to allow JRE 1.6.0_12 which is the Java download I installed. I tried setting the security from default medium/high down to medium but no luck.

I also found that since my last message to you, I can't even get the drop-down menu box to open at all anymore, and I haven't changed anything since the Java download at which point it would drop-down the box but it was still empty...??

I tried using Firefox as the browser (I have it on my pc but don't often use it) and the drop-down still won't open the box at all. Looks like it's getting worse...oh well...

Do you have a popup blocker or internet security suite installed like McAfee?

Do you have a popup blocker or internet security suite installed like McAfee?

I have tried the Options drop-down with the pop-up blocker turned off. I use Eset NOD32 for the antivirus...turned it off as well. No change to the drop-down menu. In fact, as I mentionned in my last message, it won't even open the drop-down box any more whereas before it at least did that.

It's a puzzle! Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have access to the functions.

gotta be security related or connected to the browser settings.

That's all I can think of.

E

gotta be security related or connected to the browser settings.

That's all I can think of.

E

You might be right Eric, although I can't find anything.

I don't, however, have this problem with any other site, sim forums included and there are many drop-down menus on all sites.

I wonder if I can get my account here removed so that I can re-register with my current name and pw, just to ensure that something didn't corrupt when I first registered. I haven't been here long so I wouldn't really lose anything by trying this.

I am certain that would not do any good. There is nothing in any of the account settings that control how web pages on your machine are displayed. The fact that both FireFox and IE are doing the same exact thing leads me to believe that the machine's software environment is preventing pop-ups or java style applets from running, or local browser settings that are causing the problem.

:imo:

Erik

I am certain that would not do any good. There is nothing in any of the account settings that control how web pages on your machine are displayed. The fact that both FireFox and IE are doing the same exact thing leads me to believe that the machine's software environment is preventing pop-ups or java style applets from running, or local browser settings that are causing the problem.

:imo:

Erik

Erik,

Thanks for the comments. However, I just tried accessing CA from my wife's home/office pc and still the same result. She has a different os (XP pro, IE 7, etc) so it's hard for me to accept that my pc is causing this problem. And again, I can access any other sites just fine from either pc including other sim forums, all the drop-downs, etc. I will try and test from another completely different pc site (my daughter's) just to confirm this, but if it also refuses to work from there, it has to be a more central problem.

Call me thick.

I just realized you were probably using the new OFF skin which isn't quite complete as of yet. There are still a few bugs left in that one though for the most part it works well. I also can't use the forum options in that skin, so it's not just you.

At the very bottom of this board there is a skin chooser (from main forum page, lower left next to RSS feed). If you would select a new skin, try the options button, and report back.

If it works in other skins, then we'll both assume it's the OFF skin that just needs a little work.

Thanks;

Erik

Call me thick.

I just realized you were probably using the new OFF skin which isn't quite complete as of yet. There are still a few bugs left in that one though for the most part it works well. I also can't use the forum options in that skin, so it's not just you.

At the very bottom of this board there is a skin chooser (from main forum page, lower left next to RSS feed). If you would select a new skin, try the options button, and report back.

If it works in other skins, then we'll both assume it's the OFF skin that just needs a little work.

Thanks;

Erik

Ok "Thick"...eh, I mean Erik... :biggrin:

You've solved it! That's exactly what it is...Groan! I never would have guessed, so thanks a lot!

Another problem solved...Good Work!

Try it out now. If you dont see it, try a hard refresh with <CTRL-F5>. Let me know. This should work with all skins now.

Cheers~

Try it out now. If you dont see it, try a hard refresh with <CTRL-F5>. Let me know. This should work with all skins now.

Cheers~

It works! Excellent!

Thanks Fates!