Sign in to follow this  
flynnj

Fuel mixture question

I've read in the tips section to use "ctrl-=" and "ctrl-minus" to adjust fuel mixture. I've done this when at high altitude, and noticed no effect. Is there some sort of indicator in the cockpit showing where fuel mixture is currently set?

I've gone so far as to hold down ctrl-minus for 10 seconds, ditto on ctrl-=

Edited by flynnj

I've read in the tips section to use "ctrl-=" and "ctrl-minus" to adjust fuel mixture. I've done this when at high altitude, and noticed no effect. Is there some sort of indicator in the cockpit showing where fuel mixture is currently set?

I'm not aware of a visual indicator but the audio indicator I use is the engine noise (or lack thereof). Keep clicking the ctrl-minus until the engine cuts out and then ctrl-= to wind it back until the engine comes back in again. As an example, flying a Nieuport 11, I have to click ctrl-minus about 75 times at 5000ft to get the engine to cut-out and then I will click ctrl-= about 5 or so times.

And don't forget to enrich the mixture on your way back down too - having the engine cut out at low altitude because the mixture is too lean is more deadly than it cutting out at high altitude because the mixture is too rich.

Also, not all planes have the ability to adjust the mixture. Perhaps reply with what plane you are flying and someone who flys that plane may be able to indicate whether or not it has the ability to adjust the fuel mixture.

HTH

I'm not aware of a visual indicator but the audio indicator I use is the engine noise (or lack thereof). Keep clicking the ctrl-minus until the engine cuts out and then ctrl-= to wind it back until the engine comes back in again. As an example, flying a Nieuport 11, I have to click ctrl-minus about 75 times at 5000ft to get the engine to cut-out and then I will click ctrl-= about 5 or so times.

And don't forget to enrich the mixture on your way back down too - having the engine cut out at low altitude because the mixture is too lean is more deadly than it cutting out at high altitude because the mixture is too rich.

Also, not all planes have the ability to adjust the mixture. Perhaps reply with what plane you are flying and someone who flys that plane may be able to indicate whether or not it has the ability to adjust the fuel mixture.

HTH

See if this is any help >>>http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/archive/index.php/t-9918.html