Sign in to follow this  
franksvalli

New interview regarding demo, required internet connection, screenshots

http://wwiaircombat.com/articles/rise-of-f...-demo-confirmed

I posted a new interview with the developers of Rise of Flight regarding a few topics such as the upcoming demo and questions concerning copy protection and if an internet connection is required to play.

I looks to me I will be a game system like WoWarcraft. You will pay for the disk, for the on-line game and for the on-line addons. 

"5. Can I play ROF in offline mode?

No, you can't.

6. If an internet connection fails while playing ROF, what will happen? Can I start the next mission? Same with career mode, what will happened with my statistics?

"Connection error" message will appear and you will not be able to continue without proper internet connection, thus all statistics will be lost. But if connection to the internet will be reestablished before the end of the mission this problem might not appear. Please note that multiplayer mode will crash due to lack of internet connection."

Damn it damn it damn it.

It's more of a Guild Wars or Battlefield system. Pay for account, for content updates but with free gameplay.

It's more of a Guild Wars or Battlefield system. Pay for account, for content updates but with free gameplay.

Yea and I was not expecting that from ROF.... im a bit taken back now. I see their idea and the point but hmmmm :shok:

That info sure pulled me back for an auto purchase on ROF. May be more of a wait and see thing now. I was really hopeful for being able to use HL or private server framework. :crazy:

Yea and I was not expecting that from ROF.... im a bit taken back now. I see their idea and the point but hmmmm :shok:

That info sure pulled me back for an auto purchase on ROF. May be more of a wait and see thing now. I was really hopeful for being able to use HL or private server framework. :crazy:

Yes Firecage and anyone else wanting to jump right into RoF, there is something definately not right in my eyes with the always on IP connection at least for the SP aspect of the game, it really isn't necessary for copy protection. A simple one time check when you start the game would take care of that and can also check your version to let you know if you need any patches or to install an update for MP play. Other then that the SP part of the game should not require an always on IP connection, after it does it checks it should DC. Even the uploading of your stats could be done the same way at the end of the game, but I think that should be optional for the player IMHO.

I have been following some threads at other sites and reading between the lines and catching little hints kind of dropped here and there from some posters who maybe might know a little more then most. I think (and I am drawing my own conclusions here folks) based from what I have read, there is a good possibility RoF might be a flying version of a pay to play MMORPG in sheeps clothing. God I do hope I'm wrong on this, but something definately isn't right with the SP aspect of this game requiring always on IP connection just for copy protection purposes. It's like they are trying to mainly condition the SP to maintaining an internet connection, preferably a high speed one for this game, now why would that be? Were they possibly thinking of going stictly pay for play MP only down the line? Consider this, they offer a flight sim seen like no other, superior GFX, high fidelity FM and damage model, everything a flight simmer could want in a WWI flight sim (or any sim for that matter), then after a couple of months of playing this game for free SP or MP (or both) how many could or would walk away if they announced that due to the huge popularity of the game and to off set server cost they were going to a paid MP only system, and the SP aspect will no longer be supported. I'm sure some will walk away, most won't and if you have ever seen that TV special about people addicted to WoW..well you get my point. Another really weird thing was the Devs have become like vaporware over the last couple of days, when before that interview they were present almost every other day at one site. With all the speculation going on you would think they would make a brief appearance to kind of clear the air. Are they just avoiding the verbal abuse they will get from some posters or is there something else they are trying to avoid? Maybe I'm just overeacting, but you know that weird feeling you get in your gut when something ain't quite right, well I've been having this since that interview and the devs sure are not doing anything for me to make that feeling go away.

I bought OFF the very day it came out and was going to buy ROF just the same but after reading this interview I don't think I will. I never played games like WoW, Guild Wars, Battlefield or whatever and I'm not about to start. :dntknw:

I hope TK starts working on the next ex-pack for 'First Eagles' soon.

Because I'm sure as hell never signing up for this bulls**t. Online authentication for single-play - what a joke. They are about to find out that just because Blizzard makes billions (yes, billions) of dollars with WOW you can't copy their business model with some half-assed Russian flight-sim.

I hope TK starts working on the next ex-pack for 'First Eagles' soon.

They will upgrade the games to directX10 or 11 level, I think. TK must do something to improve, if not, then they are loosing the market.   

Edited by Dutch_P47M