Sign in to follow this  

I picked up WOE and WOV today, happier than a pig :good: in you know what, until I patched it up and did trial runs with both games. The required specs for WOE are

System Requirements

Processor: 600 MHz or faster

Memory: 256 MB RAM

Hard Drive: 1.1 GB free space

Video Card: 64 MB DirectX 9

My specs are

AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+,

CPU speed 2.00Ghz rated at 5.70Ghz,

2 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GSO 768MB,

Windows XP Home.

I expected 60+ FPS on high detail. But to get 60+ I have to use low detail...bummer. Med detail I get around 40, is this normal for this game? Are there any tweaks to improve FPS ?

Thanks,

WT

The game is cpu limited, not graphics limited. If you can OC your cpu then do it. I found turning off mirrors helped a ton.

Wango Tango.......Welcome

My first suggestion would be to turn off the FPS counter :wink:

Then saddle yourself up and go learn how to enjoy this game cause it is alot of fun. 40 fps aint that bad for a flight sim, they say that anything over 25 the human eye cant distinguish the difference, thats a debateable statement but trust me, if you turn off the counter (which consumes FPS's) then you wont know that your game isnt performing as well as you think it should, and the next thing you know you will be having fun Mig hunting.

Personally I always keep all the cockpit detail way up, and everything else at about half throttle (including horizon distance) I've got a tired old piece of s#%t for a computor and I get about 60cpu and about 40gpu........granted I dont have the latest patch, which from what I understand is an FPS killer :rolleyes:

Good luck with this very fun game.

Cheers

Rom

Wango Tango

the ones you should consider the most frame rate unfriendly are mirrors (try turning them off), horizont distance (set to medium, big framerate boost!) and shadows (also try medium settings)

Turning everything unlimited in TW sims after recent patches gives 15-20 fps on a system capable of running Crysis Warhead or FarCry 2 at steady 35-45 fps (my system)

The game is cpu limited, not graphics limited. If you can OC your cpu then do it. I found turning off mirrors helped a ton.

Yeah but that's because my CPU is calculating stuff like shadows and reflections while my 1 TeraFLOPS capable gfx card is jacking off lol

Edited by Brain32

Yeah but that's because my CPU is calculating stuff like shadows and reflections while my 1 TeraFLOPS capable gfx card is jacking off lol

But "extra candy" stuff like shadows and mirror reflections are always CPU's work, unless TW will go CUDA

Nice card BTW :ok:

Thanks for all the replies guy's. I will play around with the settings. Yes turning off Fraps is an idea :biggrin: Good to hear that it is a common issue,disapointing that the latest patch would be a FPS hog.

not a problem with me i'm running two amd 3.1ghz cpu's (although dual core is not supported) and 4gigs of ram at 800mghz with a 1gig geforce vid card but i still set the horizon at near and the mirrors are off so my fps are insane! all my 3rd wire titles are patched to the latest oct 08

Edited by Viper6

But "extra candy" stuff like shadows and mirror reflections are always CPU's work, unless TW will go CUDA

Nice card BTW :ok:

I has nothing to do with CUDA. All of that stuff can be put on the video card without CUDA. It was a choice TK made for whatever reason. Besides CUDA only supports Nvidia cards, and as a platform is terrible, it doesn't even support Recursion. There is a enw open platform coming out for both brand cards called OpenCL. It is a much better platform in every way.

I has nothing to do with CUDA. All of that stuff can be put on the video card without CUDA. It was a choice TK made for whatever reason. Besides CUDA only supports Nvidia cards, and as a platform is terrible, it doesn't even support Recursion. There is a enw open platform coming out for both brand cards called OpenCL. It is a much better platform in every way.

First Person Shooters and Racing sims can get away with GPU-based shadow rendering, but that's not an easy task for a flight simulator. In a flight sim, aircraft shadows are often cast at extreme distances. For example the TW default value is 10000.0, lowering that value to 800.0 (800 meters = 2400+ feet) will help reduce the load on your CPU. Also, the cockpit mirrors are rendering a 2D image...TK was smart here. Had he gone to 3D rendering, I'm sure that only the latest and greatest of CPUs would be able to run them.

The shader effects are GPU-driven as are most of the particle effects (the the CPU is still called upon to calculate and render complex geometry, such as clouds and smoke effects). In SF2, TK's gone to DX10 geometry shaders in place of many of the particle effects, which helps those with Vista-based systems, allowing the title to run smoothly with all the eye-candy turned on.