Sign in to follow this  
Aussie Pilot

This whole claims thing is weird...check this out.

You know, Viet Nam-style "bodycount math". The OFF version would be like 1 horse + 2 arms + 1 leg = 4 Albatri shot down. I want the REMFs trying to sort that out years after I'm dead and gone :rofl:

Probably shouldn't do this, but just for the sake of being grisly... :biggrin:

January, 1971. Mike 3/1 pos outside Dai Loc, across the Song Vu Giah from the Arizona Territory.

Mister Charles made the mistake of trying to turn one of our Claymore mines around last night. He got spotted with a starlight scope and the grunt on duty tripped the hell box. Charlie must have been hunkered down over the thing when it went off, because the next day there were pieces of him sprayed across the overhead tree canopy and surrounding bushes. The remains got collected up in a rain poncho and carried back to where the CUPP unit was camped.

The corporal called Hill 55 and told them about the kill. There was a Lieutenant over on Hill 37 who just had to see it for himself. Got carried to the site in a Huey.

The squad's Navy Corpsman throws back the poncho, and starts pointing with a bamboo stick. "Yes sir, this appears to be a tibia...I believe these are fragments of upper thoracic region...that's a large section of the skull and the frothy pink gray stuff inside is brain matter...."

'Bout that time the Lieutenant looked like he was going to toss his cookies, turned around, and walked away.

And, oh yeah..... it got confirmed. :rofl:

Prost!

TvO

OK, so no Rank, Claim two planes, no comma's, no semicolon in the times, still, Erroneous Claim??

So, next time to fly I will have to deviate from DiD, and try Easy claims as it just isn't working. Haven't had one claim be accepted yet??

Regards,

British_eh

Erroneous claim just means you are claiming two when you should only have claimed one...it has nothing to do with what you wrote.

A mahcine gun on the gournd or a wingman could have taken the kill away by being the last to put a bulllet into the plane before it crashed.

Here's a couple of more points from my experiences.

1. If anybody else hits the plane you are shooting at before it hits the ground, they will get credit for it. If it was the only plane you shot down, the claim form will not even come up after the mission. You can also steal kills from your wingmen by snap shotting the plane they were after just before it hits the ground. This will not endear you to your squadmates!

2. Occasionally, you will get a purple message that reads "Goals Failed. No more goals." The game does not seem to keep track of any kills after that. If you shoot down two enemies before that message and one after, when you go to fill in your claims it will say that it is "Erroneous" if you claim three kills. If you drop it back to two kills, it will then accept it as correct.

3. Two or three sentences usually get me into the 68-80% range for kill claims. I mention altitude, direction, rounds fired and several "gory details" like "down in flames", "out of control", "blood on my windscreen", etc.

Hope that helps!

RR

Erroneous claim just means you are claiming two when you should only have claimed one...it has nothing to do with what you wrote.

A mahcine gun on the gournd or a wingman could have taken the kill away by being the last to put a bulllet into the plane before it crashed.

Let's say you down three Spad XIII's in a single campaign flight. The machine says you shot down a S-13 each time. These are separate engagements in one flight.

Should you log them as 3 S-13's; or fill in three sections, one each, for a S-13, describing each action in the comments section?

I ask because I just downed 2 S-13's, logged them as three separate planes; and the claim in my dossier lists only one S-13, witnessed and pending confirmation.

BTW: I guess it just takes time for the claims to be confirmed. On my first campaign flight I got one kill; on the second I got two. Been six flights since then. The first three kills just now got confirmed.

That's about right, though. I guess it would take time for the paperwork to get done.

Prost!

TvO

Here's a couple of more points from my experiences.

1. If anybody else hits the plane you are shooting at before it hits the ground, they will get credit for it. If it was the only plane you shot down, the claim form will not even come up after the mission. You can also steal kills from your wingmen by snap shotting the plane they were after just before it hits the ground. This will not endear you to your squadmates!

2. Occasionally, you will get a purple message that reads "Goals Failed. No more goals." The game does not seem to keep track of any kills after that. If you shoot down two enemies before that message and one after, when you go to fill in your claims it will say that it is "Erroneous" if you claim three kills. If you drop it back to two kills, it will then accept it as correct.

3. Two or three sentences usually get me into the 68-80% range for kill claims. I mention altitude, direction, rounds fired and several "gory details" like "down in flames", "out of control", "blood on my windscreen", etc.

Hope that helps!

RR

Thanks Rick. I'll try it that way.

Prost!

TvO

Personally, I just don't see how so many folks get so wrapped up by whether their claims are accepted or rejected. It's very simple. You ONLY get the claim form to fill in at all if you actually did shoot something down. So that's your confirmation right there.

I agree. The sim recognizes the kill but then can deny it. If it recognizes the kill to pop up the claim form, why have the form if it's already been recognized? I've stopped bothering with them as I've had 75% rejected. At that rate Richthofen would have had to submit 320 claims and I assure you he did not. One guy said he had 1 out of 14 claims approved flying BHaH. That rate has Richthofen submitting, what, 1,120 claims!

Still, I think it's a grand idea. Perhaps an expansion of it would be to have a claims form to fill in after every mission, with an option to bypass if you didn't have any claims. It would be coded so you couldn't pencil whip claims, but it wouldn't just pop up when you shot one down. (I concede I have no idea about coding and what that entails and this request may either be impossible or ridiculously time consuming.) I've had it pop up after landing and didn't even realize I had shot one down. However, I had only tangled with one plane and obviously he went down some point after our encounter. If it weren't for the claim form, I would have had no idea I shot one down--just as it would have been. Yet I filled in the details of the only fight I had and it was actually accepted. So I'm given kills I didn't know I had and denied kills I know I had.

In any event, I don't get many kills because I have precious little time to spend in my Albatros D.V, which I'm going to do now.

Has something changed ? {yes catch there's been more patches !} Oh ! So soon ! I've been away on business amongst other real life stuff and haven't had the chance to check out 1.28 fully nor attend the forum as much as I'd like.

So the last time I filed a claim (1.25 I think), if the claim submission form appeared, I'd jot down my wingman's name (as written in the duty board but without rank). Then select the plane(s) I shot down from the drop down. If the exact type wasn't available I'd select single-seater or two-seater. Then I'd make up a complete load of utter tosh (one line only) as the explanation and submit. Some would be accepted. Some wouldn't. Sometimes accept/reject would be slow. Sometimes fast. Seems pretty real to me. And I accept the umpires decision without complaint or stressing over every minor little thing. I like it the way it is.

Unless you have system/install issues screwing up the way P3 behaves, I don't know what some of you guys are whingeing about to be perfectly honest.

Well, it looks like it takes time for the claims to be confirmed and some never do. That's life.

Manfred used to collect souvenirs: a serial number cut from the fabric of a downed plane, one of the guns, etc. What we can do is collect screen grabs recording the moment of victory.

I took the advice of some of the guys here and put the Pause button on my stick. Makes it possible to capture Kodak Moments like this one:

JUMPER.jpg

You can start a Campaign File in your computer. (Honor system, gentlemen please.) And number each kill with the appropriate date. Do it on a Word Document and you can even add a narrative describing the action.

That'd be one way of doing it. Mightn't get you any medals, but you'd know what the score is.

Prost!

TvO

Edited by Todt Von Oben

It may seem like a while to get confirmed but you are by default flying around THREE missions a day, so after all that your claim probably hasn't even left the building.

It takes days or weeks! Stay alive, or reduce the mission frequency or use auto/manual campaign advance option.

If you cannot work out how to claim properly (pretty easy really) then switch to easier claims whatever. No need to moan, do it right, or choose an easier option job done.. :grin: )

And, oh yeah..... it got confirmed. :rofl:

I've known some ossifers who think that if their units have higher bodycounts, they'll get a gong and/or promotion. So they'd have assigned each major fragment to a different individual. Then they'd have assumed the wild hogs had carried off the remains of a couple more guys during the night, and that the pieces that were too small to pick up amounted to another poor sod.

So even though the guy with the Starlight only saw 1, it would get sent up the chain as 5 or 6 kills. That's what I meant by "bodycount math". You know, like beer math: 2 beers per man per day for 10 men = 57 cases :)

Edited by Bullethead