Sign in to follow this  
PaulV

Selecting Map Crashes Program

I started a career with 20 RFC in 1916. The first mission was a scramble. Selecting the in-flight map causes the program to crash. I'm patched to version 1.28 and haven't had this problem with other campaigns. Is this a possible bug?

When it only happens at scrambles, you mustn't bother.

You won't need the map there, cause you're at your airfield.

There won't be waypoints necessary. Just don't press it.

It's a "feature" at the moment for some people. Altering the details sliders won't necessarily solve the problem (I still encountered it when all of the settings were 1). There is another thread (here) which, if you have dual core CPUs, talks about setting the CPU affinity (i.e. which CPU cfs3.exe is to run on) to try to remedy the problem.

This could be a challenging "feature" to remedy as it looks like the issue may be in cfs3.exe (i.e. the MS executable) rather than the OFF manager (i.e. the OBD executable). One of the developers may be able to enlighten us on this.

Edited by cazna

I was having a lot of crash to OFF manager problems until I went from a 256 Mb video card to a 1 gig card.

I still wonder about a memory leak in the game though. I get a crash if I leave it paused for too long.

Yes. I have Nvidia 8800 GTS 500megs and m- button never crashed my game before 1.28. Something is changed..

If CFS3 crashes after a long time (even when paused) or when pressing the M key (for Map) then it's due to either:

1) Sliders too high and exceeding GPU mem.

2) A problem with your PC Ram.

OFF uses a lot of RAM and will use a lot more of your available RAM than most PC games.

HTH

WM

When it only happens at scrambles, you mustn't bother.

You won't need the map there, cause you're at your airfield.

There won't be waypoints necessary. Just don't press it.

I had the same concern in a scramble, but like Olham says you don't need the map...

If CFS3 crashes after a long time (even when paused) or when pressing the M key (for Map) then it's due to either:

OFF uses a lot of RAM and will use a lot more of your available RAM than most PC games.

HTH

WM

My sliders are set at 4/3/3/4/1.

I have a GeForce 9600GT with 1 Gig RAM

4 Gig system RAM installed in computer

I don't think lack of memory is the problem.

HTH

WM

This is definitely a separate issue, not RAM related.

It only happens during "scramble" missions, and I'm running at 1280x720 with all sliders at 1 on a GeForce 8800GT 384 meg P43.4ghz XPSP3 2 gigs ram

Edited by flynnj

After installing 1.28a, I can look at the map during Scramble missions, and haven't had a map crash since. Something might have fixed it in 1.28a.

Good to hear flynnj, maybe a file was corrupt somewhere, and installing 1.28a overwrote it, either that or been lucky so far?