Sign in to follow this  
Todt Von Oben

Tail-gunner

A while ago i asked and was told that (when I sign up for a bomber) there's a way to be the gunner rather than the pilot.

So far, all the options I see make me the pilot, and my gunner is an AI.

What options do I select to become the gunner / observer? :dntknw:

Danke!

TvO

A while ago i asked and was told that (when I sign up for a bomber) there's a way to be the gunner rather than the pilot.

So far, all the options I see make me the pilot, and my gunner is an AI.

What options do I select to become the gunner / observer? :dntknw:

Danke!

TvO

Shift and F8 to switch to the gunner position, it's all in the manuals included with the game.

I remapped the key to shift to gunner position to "g". Easy to remember and you never use that key (it's for retractable landing gear). Makes it easy to jump to the gunner and F6 takes you back to pilot slot. It's easy to remap when flying by hitting "esc" for the Hanger and then clicking on Controls. You can delete and add key assignments. Just save your config as Mine and it will work from then on.

I remapped the key to shift to gunner position to "g". Easy to remember and you never use that key (it's for retractable landing gear). Makes it easy to jump to the gunner and F6 takes you back to pilot slot. It's easy to remap when flying by hitting "esc" for the Hanger and then clicking on Controls. You can delete and add key assignments. Just save your config as Mine and it will work from then on.

Cool, guys; thanks a lot.

Sorry for not having read the manual yet. Busy working...just got the game...kinda learning as I go. Will make it a point to read it soon.

One other question if I may: when I'm in the back seat firing the gun, who's flying the plane? I mean, does AI take over, or do I set auto trim, or ??? :dntknw:

Thanks again.

TvO

Edited by Todt Von Oben

AI takes over. I've never set "auto-trim" before jumping in the back. But, here's the rub. The AI will pilot the plane toward the next waypoint. He will NOT dogfight or even try to evade any attack. The only time I've had an AI pilot do that was in QC and I've been trying to figure out what the settings were ever since. I don't think there were any waypoints for the pilot to follow so he did a very credible job of dogfighting while I took potshots at attacking planes. It was a hoot.

Anyway, in campaign mode, I jump in the pilot seat and turn sharp left or right for at least 90 degrees, then jump in the back and shoot at things while my AI pilot returns to the waypoint heading, then rinse and repeat. It works, sort of.

AI takes over. I've never set "auto-trim" before jumping in the back. But, here's the rub. The AI will pilot the plane toward the next waypoint. He will NOT dogfight or even try to evade any attack. The only time I've had an AI pilot do that was in QC and I've been trying to figure out what the settings were ever since. I don't think there were any waypoints for the pilot to follow so he did a very credible job of dogfighting while I took potshots at attacking planes. It was a hoot.

Anyway, in campaign mode, I jump in the pilot seat and turn sharp left or right for at least 90 degrees, then jump in the back and shoot at things while my AI pilot returns to the waypoint heading, then rinse and repeat. It works, sort of.

Thanks Griphos. I asked that question while away from the computer that has my OFF game installed. Afterwards I got to it and found what you say is true.

The "G" key didn't work for me, but F8 got me into the back seat.

I tried it in a campaign. The first time was a bombing mission. Didn't even see an EA. I tried shooting up our empenage and wings: no can do. I got bored and fired at a friendly. Yes, you can shoot them down. (Just experimenting.) :biggrin:

The next mission was a scramble. I hit "E" to engage the engine starting sequence, and then jumped in the back seat. The game said the pilot had control, but we just sat on the tarmack. I jumped back into the pilot's seat, took off, and then became the gunner.

And you're right: the AI pilot just flew to the waypoints. I never even got to fire at an EA, and we didn't get hit.

Will try it in QC later on tonight to see if the pilot dogfights. Will report back later for the group's general info.

Prost!

TvO