Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Vista 64 bit

Hey All,

I know this has been answered elsewhere and I just can't seem to find it. I'm looking to upgrade my rig, but does OFF P3 support Vista 64 bit? I don't believe it does, but before I spent any money I just wanted to be sure. My apologies for asking. I KNOW it's answered somewhere and I just can't seem to locate the thread.

Hellshade

Hey Hellshade,

I'm using Vista Ultimate, and it is working for me. And on the case it says it supports Vista 64, so you shouldn't have any problems.

That sounds like good news for me and bad news for my tax return. heh. Pretty sure I'm going to get a i7core intel and OC it to 4 Ghz. 6GB of Corsair DDR3 RAM, new all black ANTEC case, 850 watt power supply, motherboard, fans and a 10k RPM 300GB raptor drive. I'll keep my GTX280 as that really ought to be fine for awhile. I bet I could run OFF smooth as glass with all settings on 5 then! Dunno though. I got a wedding and honeymoon coming up. May have to wait 3 or 4 months. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Hellshade

am sure someone will disagree with me,,,

but performance improvements of a 10k rmp over a 7500 drive are so minimal its not worth the money.

not an expert on raid 0, but think you would better going that route with 2 nice wd caviar drives....and probably get better performance over 1 10k drive..

and,,,memory is so cheap,,,,dont stop at 6 gig.....for dollars spent, and improvment gained,,,right now its the best place to make performance mprovements

(im assuming you have a raid compatable mb to put that nice i7)

Edited by sitting_duck

Vista?... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(Sorry, just my personal opinion, and I know that OFF now works with Vista, but have you considered ALL the ramifications of Vista?)

Especially as Windows 7 will be around before too long?

I already have Vista 32 bit, Widowmaker. I was only going to get Vista 64 bit along with some hardware upgrades to try and improve my performance, however it doesn't really matter now. The 16xQ antialiasing has smoothed everything out wonderfully. I'll wait until Intel ships a new processor type so the i7 Core 920 drops in price. Then I'll get that and overclock the begeezus out of it. I know the extra cores won't matter on the CFS3 engine, but going from 3.2Ghz to 4 Ghz should help something. Add some more ram and get a 64 bit OS to handle it all. When does Windows 7 ship anyway? I think it took them 2 years to ship Vista after it went beta. Good old Microsloth. :)

Yeah, it will be a while before they ship Win7 (they don't want to be making the same mistakes they made with Vista, that's for sure)

The other thing is, I have never seen any real advantages (game wise) to having 64Bit (XP 64 bit included)

The only advantage I figured 64 bit would give is the ability to address over 4GB total memory. Right now I am maxed at 3GB system memory and a 1GB GTX280 video card. I thought maybe that might give the game a little more room to handle all those high res textures. Other that, there really aren't any games I play that use the DX10 features.

Looks like I am somewhat close to the max anyway Pol. 3.16Ghz Intel Duo Core 2, 3GB Ram (PC 6400), 1GB GTX280. Honestly, now that I found out about the 16xQ settings, I don't need to upgrade a thing. All settings on 5 except scenery 4 and clouds 1 and I can hold steady at 40 FPS in flak filled skies during a 6 v 6 furball right over an air field. No stutter, no white jaggies, no frame drops. It's so smooth that nothing really takes me out of the immersion.

But you know what? The game is so good I was willing to fork out the cash if needed to upgrade my gear so I could have the best experience possible if I had to. You know THAT is a satisfied customer. The fact that it turns out the game runs so well when correctly configured that I don't NEED TO UPGRADE just makes it that much better. Great work guys!

Hellshade

OK great :)

Yeah saves you a shed load of cash too so can't be bad.