Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

The never ending trip

Last Sunday, our crew set out on what was planned for a 1 week trip dragging some German F-4 Phantoms into the Mid East for an exercise. After a 10 hour flight from Kansas into Sigonella, we had enough time for a couple of beers and off to bed. The next day we flew into Souda, Crete. Upon landing we discovered that one of our hydraulic pumps had died, so we were pretty much broke. This pump is essential for air refueling and since that is our mission, everything was on hold. Wahooo 3 days in Crete. My liver is still hurting.

After the 3 days in Crete, we took off and flew out to pick up our 3 Phantoms and refueled them along the way to the Mid East. Another night there with some of our deployed squadron mates and friends. So on Saturday (yesterday) we took off and flew into RAF Mildenhall. Again, we partied it up with some more of our friends (more liver pain). However this morning as we arrived at our -135, it has an oxygen leak so we are most likely staying another 24 hours.

Ahh the life of a tanker guy.

I'll post some pics of the Phantoms when I get home. ???

Thought I'd share.

Cheers!

Sounds like such a hard life - ever thought of filling the tanker up with beer instead :)

Looking forward to the Phantom pics! :biggrin:

Oh poor baby..... :lol:

And sure you were "broke" at Souda.......just we were last week in Hawaii.......for 4 days.

Still broke here at the 'Hall with an O2 leak. This morning, I was trying to get out to the approach at Lakenheath to catch some Strike Eagle photos, but couldnt get a ride or the taxi driver didnt know where to go specifically. This blows!!

I think we are going to hit up the Green King brewery tour though. More liver pain...

Cheers!

P.S. Broke in Hawaii? Not us, but it as our squadron guys on their way to Australia. And honestly, these have all been real breaks, not gaming the system.

Wait, do you have a 2nd job as a human beer tanker??

Human Beer tanker. Hmmm, I like that.

Any of our UK based friends near Mildenhall? My plans got cancelled for the night so maybe a beer at the Bird in Hand? Anyone??

Here's a quick shot from the Phantom drag.

GAFF-4FPhantomsA-to-A13032009sm.jpg

Jeff

hard times... reminds me of last week on Purim and my birthday

liver pain ^ 2 :)

Look on the bright side. You were able to refuel Rhinos.

Jeff check your user title under your name.....

Made it home last night around 1730. The damn jet leaked out all of the oxygen again from the primary system during the flight across the pond, so we had to go to the auxiliary system. Luckily it held pressure.

I'll post some photos sometime today.

-Jeff

Now we're hearing rumors that the new tanker competition may be postponed indefinitely...because the 135s are still all in great shape!! Really! They are! Pay no attention to that human beer tanker behind the curtain!