Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Beautiful Perfomance increase at zero cost!

Wow, I'm not sure if ATI users have this option or not, but if you are running an Nvidia card, I found one simple setting to change that smoothed out my gameplay tremendously while improving the quality of the graphics at the same time. I was literally thinking about spending some serious cash to upgrade my system for better perfomance in the game and now I'm not even going to bother. It looks that much better and plays that much smoother, even when the sky is filled with planes and clouds and the ground has a ton of scenery like trees and buildings. No frame hiccups at all!! In Windows go to :

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Nvidia Control Panel.

Under 3D Settings (left side panel) select Manage 3D Settings

in the right side window "Manage 3D settings" select Global Settings > Antialiasing Setting and change it to 8xQ

Apply changes and load up OFF P3. Enjoy. I get a rock solid 30 FPS no matter what the scenery (because I have it capped at that) and everything looks beautiful. Even looking around in TrackIR quickly produces no lag and only extremely rarely a slight white artifacting on the edges. Far less white artifacting than before, to be sure. If I'm looking at the sky and my foe dives for the deck, I can follow him down and there will be no stutter as my view shifts from sky to ground scenery. It's as smooth as flight and really helps keep the immersion factor up 100%. Try it out and see what kind of results you get.

My setting are all at 4 except clouds are 1. I might try higher soon just to see how far I can push it.

Hellshade

post-46046-1237129569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hellshade

Have you tried 16Q...just wondered if that makes much difference again?

I was able to bump my settings to 5 (Overall) 5, 5, 4 (scenery), 5, 1 (clouds) and it still holds steady at 30 FPS under every condition. I do however occassionally get an extremely minor 1/10th of a second stutter which is almost unnoticable. Running at 1680 x 1050 x32. Make sure you Antialiasing Mode to Oerride any application settings to.

Has anyone else tried this or am I just the last guy to figure it out?

Hellshade

Holy Hell Windowmaker, it's even better on 16xQ! Not only does it look better stiil, getting rid of every last little graphical "jaggy", it also eliminates the tiny studder I was getting at with terrain bumped up to 5. Now I definately don't need to spend any money upgrading my system. It's just freakin amazing.

Holy Hell Windowmaker, it's even better on 16xQ! Not only does it look better stiil, getting rid of every last little graphical "jaggy", it also eliminates the tiny studder I was getting at with terrain bumped up to 5. Now I definately don't need to spend any money upgrading my system. It's just freakin amazing.

Yeah..cool aint it?

also if you set VSYNC to 'Clamp' that sometimes get's rid of a lot of the Jaggies associated with TrackIR

glad it's working for you, and increasing your enjoyment!

Yeah..cool aint it?

also if you set VSYNC to 'Clamp' that sometimes get's rid of a lot of the Jaggies associated with TrackIR

glad it's working for you, and increasing your enjoyment!

i have ati, and right now am using cc center for all my contols.

is there any advantaget at all,,to using cfs3config to set aa? , or is all just basically the same settings, just done in different place

Have you tried 16Q...just wondered if that makes much difference again?

have now, Simon -- WooHoo!!! Great . If i stay on scenery/terrain on 3s I get FPS exceeding hundred, and 60 at airfields!!

Yessir - tax that CFS3 - it loves it.

thanks

Hey Duck,

I think that the config aa settings don't work well with nvidia cards, so I don't know about your ati. If you can set it in the card, that's best I think. I have mine set at 16Q. I think that setting the aa high in the card has little if any negative impact and sure makes for amazing graphics in the game.

Hellshade, what Nvidia card type are you running?

Dutch

my wishlist: a decent Cfs3Config manual!!! :dntknw:

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Hey guys I'm just trying this now too. The v-sync options I have are force on and force off. Which v sync setting should I choose? Thanks.

Hey guys I'm just trying this now too. The v-sync options I have are force on and force off. Which v sync setting should I choose? Thanks.

The only real reason to run Vsync force-on is if your frame rates are consistently above 60 fps (the rather artificial "refresh" rate of most flat-screen monitors). In my case, the FR only occasionally hops up into the 50s-60s so I turn Vsync to force-off.

The purpose of this settings is to synchronize the frames your monitor is displaying with the refresh rate (a CRT technology issue really as LCDs don't really have a refresh rate) of your monitor. If you're not getting fast enough FPS then you won't benefit from the setting anyway so you may as well turn it off.

Aces High, the other game I play, will produce FPS well over 100 on my system so I turn Vsync on in that case which REALLY helps in that game. My frame rate is 60 consistently under all circumstances because it is being synchronized with my monitor's refresh rate. Not true at all with MS-FX and this game so it's best to turn it off.

Hellshade, what Nvidia card type are you running?

Dutch

my wishlist: a decent Cfs3Config manual!!! :dntknw:

A GTX280 1GB video card. What a lovely piece of equipment it is. However for considerably less you can get a GTX260 which is supposed to run most stuff at almost the same speed as long as you keep the resolution at or below 1680 x 1050.

Hellshade

Thanks for the tip, it's worked well with my new (but now obsolete) 9800GT512. In a few days, I'll have this old Dell E521 maxed out with a AMD Athlon x2 6400+ (3.2Ghz), 4 Gb of RAM, the 9800GT and a 550W PS. As long as I can keep it cool enough, I won't need to buy anything else for it.

Thanks for the tip, it's worked well with my new (but now obsolete) 9800GT512. In a few days, I'll have this old Dell E521 maxed out with a AMD Athlon x2 6400+ (3.2Ghz), 4 Gb of RAM, the 9800GT and a 550W PS. As long as I can keep it cool enough, I won't need to buy anything else for it.

Topic moved to Knowledge Base simply becasue it's too good to be lost in a thread. :) Great stuff!

OvS