Sign in to follow this  
tttiger

Huge cache of WWI records discovered

Thanks for sharing now so many can maybe find a loved one and honor them. May we honor all the living and the dead who have given their all. Thanks to all of them.

Yes, I saw that! Very exciting, and a real find on the part of Peter Barton. He has been doing marvelous stuff - not at all an armchair historian!

Cheers,

Ted

Yes, I saw that! Very exciting, and a real find on the part of Peter Barton. He has been doing marvelous stuff - not at all an armchair historian!

Cheers,

Ted

I remember seeing so many headstone with that written on it... it was very sad. I hope they are able to identify many of them. It's not right that a person give their sole, never to be known to anyone other than God himself.

OvS

Great news...but y'know..the more I hear about the Red Cross, the more they sound like some kind of secret- laden Sect!

I have heard mention of them on the History Channel on two occasions recently, where they have witheld information (once about WW2 American and British troops who were sent to Siberian Work Camps, never to return) and another of hording vast amounts of personal data, and refusing to air it in public...I mean who the hell do they think they are doing that?..The CIA?

Their excuse was truly amazing: No one ever asked.

Didn't those little Red Cross drones working in their archives ever wonder what was in all those file cabinets they spent 90 years polishing?

They're almost as bad as government bureaucrats...but not quite....

ttt

Edited by tttiger

What an excellent story. If only they'd found the records sooner, just think of the closure it might have given to so many people directly effected.

I wouldn't be too hard on the Red Cross. They secure access to do their work in some very dodgy quarters with some very 'iffy' regimes. I suspect they can only do so precisely and specifically because they don't get involved, or rock too many boats. It's beyond their remit to get involved with anything which might prejudice their 'impartiality' - (if impartiality is the right word). It's not that they refused access for anyone to see these documents, it's simply that nobody ever asked to see them, nor understood what they were.

Begs the question why no researchers found it sooner. Peter Barton has proven it COULD be found, and all credit to him for doing so.