Sign in to follow this  
CW3SF

Do you have a special person you use as your pilot's name?

This is one hell of a flight sim with only a few imperfections, so I thought it might of interest to see who we name our pilot after and why.

Mine is John Bergman. John joined the Army Air Corps right after Pearl Harbour at only 16 ( he pulled a fast one some how). Ended up as a tailgunner in a B17 in England where is first task was to "hose out" the remains of the previous tailgunner and then help repair it for upcoming missions. The story about is first mission tended to grow with the number of beers we shared but the issue was the extra ammo he had packed in the tail made it quite a task for the pilot during takeoff. The pilot issued John is ammo there after. He said the worst part was not the flying combat, but the comming out of a sound sleep and wondering if your buddy was ready for chow-- then looking at an empty bunk and rembering that he was shot down yesterday. He was wounded a few times but was back up asap. He had taken some flying lessons earlier and that would become a life saver later on.

On a mission over Germany several of the crew were shot up and circumstances came about that John took over the controls, completed the mission and landed back in England, all with help from those who could. For this he was put in for the CM of H. When his true age was found it was downgraded to DSC. As General Eisenhour pinned it on him John said " just trying to save my own ass sir" to which the general replied " that's the best motivation I know of son". John was sent back to the states and at 17 was back with his unit. Later he got the Purple Heart that grounded him.

I crossed paths with John later in life as my CO in a MI unit. He was and still is one of few members of "THE GREATEST GENERATION" who gave their all in combat and lived with it forever.

Yes, I use my late father's Name Albert George

As mentioned elsewhere, I fly the careers (and use the names) of real historical pilots to see if I can match their historical scores.

Hasn't happened yet...those aces were pretty amazing!

ttt

If I fly for the yanks I like to use "James Cunningham" which was my all time most succesful pilot in the TSR roleplaying game Dawn Patrol.

French pilots - Emile Fortou.

German pilots - Kurt or Ernst Remarx.

Brits - Willy Coppitt (thank you Tom Sharpe) or Arthur Gonner.

I'm not taking this seriously enough, am I?

German Imperial Air Force names.....Gerd Schroeder....Jurgen Prochnow(Das Boot)...Kurt von Buttlar-Brandenfels(taken from TSR Dawn Patrol)

British: Major Miles Taune or 2nd Lieutenant Herod Roughshod-Overme.

German: Heimlich Mann-Ouver.

I'm not taking it very seriously either :biggrin:

Doublestop

Germany: Rudi Starnberg or Otto Paartz

England: Harry Paget, Jack Speedicut, or Ian Fraser Kilmister

France: H. (Happy) Dan Pew or Charles LaRousse Dreyfus

United States: John Milius, Bill Pedecaris, Captain Jerome

-sab

I've recycled all my names from Red Baron

Brits: Rick Rawlings (like Mick Mannock he flies SE5a's and looks out for noobs while sticking it to the huns!)

Rother Naught (perfers to stay in the aerodrome by the fire drinking scotch or frolicing with the ladies in Paris. "Anyone volunteer for a dangerous mission?" "I'd rather not.")

Dirk McGurt: (A scottish meat wagon driver who is a great pilot but only a medium grade shot!)

Germans: Gunther Klaut. (Aspires to be a leader like Boelcke, but tends to some of Richtofen's grim hunter qualities)

French: Patrole de Fronte ( a bon vivant a la Nungesser)

American: Johnny Rockitt (based on Eddie Rickenbacker)

I enlisted Sgt. Schultz as the only German pilot in my roster (I loved Hogan's Heroes when younger).

But as for the Brits, I like and fly the Pup mostly so far, so I use the names of the early Pup aces, such as Stan Goble (who, sadly, died on me) and Ed Grange (who just got captured and will be a POW for the remainder of the war). Lots of Pup aces, so I'm in no danger of running out soon.

My British pilot is Major Lazarus Phoenix. Not suprisingly, he plays on "easiest outcome" mode and so is never truly dead. He somehow always is ressurected to rise from the ashes.

My Dead is Dead pilot (who I have to keep re-making) is Manfred Von Blackeagle. Clearly as with many others who love this flight sim, I have pilot naming issues. But I do have fun and that is all that really matters, isn't it?

Hellshade

I also contribute to the Guardian (or Grauniad, if you prefer) talkboards, and introduced one or two contributors there to RB3D, which had just become downloadable. One chap came up with a couple of cracking names: the first was Rupert de Baer, and when he carked it, his brother Ted de Baer. Well, they made me giggle anyway.

Must go and spend a bit more time running away from Hun scouts.

See you later. Perhaps.

I always use the same names for subsequent pilots in each country:

Germany - Otto Treiharder

British - Willie Maykett

American - Wally Painter

French - Jaques Strappe

I often use my great grandfather and his fathers name on my paternal side and also those of my maternal side. They are Duesterhoeft, and Seefeldt and Borkenhagen and etc. Do those sound British to you? HA. A Scandanavian and German living in America. So it is Joseph, August, and Hermann

Guest British_eh

Great stuff, too bad I have to resort to historical boring figures.

Francis Drake - British of course, James Bond, Dick Richards, and Monty Python

Otto Haboklaber, and a German National Football team guy Hans Steinschweiger;just like the way the name rolls of your tongue

American, well it has to be John Smith

Australian, of course we have to include an Aussie Rules Football tough guy - Jocko Jackson, flies for the French

No Canadian, should there be a Category?

Regards,

British_eh

Canadian_eh?

Some of the names picked are awesome....mine are more comical because they never last very long.

Germany= Fritz Krackers

Britain= Filmore Coffins

French= Frenchies Fried

Don't fly Americans. Why bother same stuff as the frenchies fly.

Mine are easy.

All German, all dad's fore fathers. All Kaiser, my last name.

Gottlieb, Johann, Karl, Traugott, Thedore, and of course Dad's name re-Germanisized,..Georg Friedrich.

Leutnant Georg Friedrich Kaiser is having a ball with Jasta 11,....I don't know that Dad would get it.

Canadian names......Red Green......Rock E. Mountain....Bob McKenzie....Johnny Canuck...Peter Puck...Molson Beire..."Moose" Hedd...

The last time I did this was at Sim Hq in the LOCKON site and the responces were more like what I had as my opening statement. I was surprised at the brief superficial statements,which left me wondering if in the past there was no one that came to mind as worthy of a pilot's name in this game. A few did mention relitives but without the naritive that turns a "thread" from short staccto turse answers into a rich understandable fabric with a historical perspective.

Was I expecting to much?

I guess when you get pass 70 what few thought process's that still exists are 'out of tune with the times".

Thanks for your input, CW3SF

Canadian names......Red Green......Rock E. Mountain....Bob McKenzie....Johnny Canuck...Peter Puck...Molson Beire..."Moose" Hedd...

What, no "Don Cherry"?

auf Deutsch Ich bin Kiste Rachitisch

In British Service my flyer is Ritchie Teacrate

both are take offs of my nik

In US Service I am James Handy

For the British I use either John Alconbury (I was stationed at RAF Alconbury when I was in the USAF) or Roger Yaxley (I lived in the village of Yaxley just out side of Peterborough). In the future I will probably use Peter Boroughs. Oddly enough when I lived in Yaxley one of my neighbors was Peter Boroughs.

For the Germans I use Hans Jeager. This is a mix of jäger and Chuck Yeager.

As stated in the Wikipedia entry for Chuck Yeager:

The name "Yeager" is an Anglicized form of the German and Dutch name, Jäger (German: "hunter")

CW3SF, I enjoyed your thread opener. Unlike yourself I have not personally known many actual pilots let alone ones that have served their country in battle. I truly honor them myself. For example I have great admiration for nearly all aspects of Capt. Rickenbacker's life. I want to fly with him in OFF and will at some point. Right now my skills are inadequate to honor anybodies memory. They deserve better representation than I can give. I don't want to see my heroes being shot down constantly. For all I know there are all kinds of vets on this forum, if so, my deepest respect and thanks go to those who have served. Cheers!