Sign in to follow this  
Spillone104

Speed & Acceleration in oct08 patch

Anyone have noticed that most of the aircraft with the oct08 patch become seriously slower and with far less acceleration than in the SP4 patch.

For example the F-104 had become seriously handicapped than before, it takes many (too many) minutes to accelerate to full speed and the top speed is nearly 1200 Km/h at low level in clean configuration and at 11000m it nearly reach Mach 2 in an eternity. In the previous patch it reached 1300Km/h in less than half the time and Mach 2.2 at high altitude.

The same thing happen with the Mirage.

If anybody know how to solve it.

Thanks.

Well that's easy to solve...either adjust the thrust of the engine or adjust drag(CD0)..

I usually go for the drag as engines have quite correct thrust values on stock planes as far as I saw...

Anyone have noticed that most of the aircraft with the oct08 patch become seriously slower and with far less acceleration than in the SP4 patch.

For example the F-104 had become seriously handicapped than before, it takes many (too many) minutes to accelerate to full speed and the top speed is nearly 1200 Km/h at low level in clean configuration and at 11000m it nearly reach Mach 2 in an eternity. In the previous patch it reached 1300Km/h in less than half the time and Mach 2.2 at high altitude.

The same thing happen with the Mirage.

If anybody know how to solve it.

Thanks.

TK changes his physical engine to be more realistic. So before changing anything, It would be interesting to know how many time it takes to F-104 to reach Mach 2 in real life.

Edited by kreelin

Click me

Check this page, there should be enough information about the zipper :good:

Leidgenosse

Edited by Leidgenosse

Well everything I've ever read about F-104 was that it was designed as a very low drag airframe around a powerfull engine...

All accounts mention tremendous acceleration also...

Now on this page: http://airforce-world.blogspot.com/2006/10...tarfighter.html it says CD0(Zero-lift drag coefficient) was 0.0172

Now when I look at TK's 104G CD0 is 0.0253 and that's for fuselage alone although other parts in TK's data.ini do not have high CD0 values, all together they are 0.0312 which is not very far from twice the drag of the real thing...

Ofcourse the data on the link above does not provide much authority and it's quite possible if not even probable that TK has better data, however...it's worthy of investigation for F-104 fans ;-)

Now when I look at TK's 104G CD0 is 0.0253 and that's for fuselage alone although other parts in TK's data.ini do not have high CD0 values, all together they are 0.0312 which is not very far from twice the drag of the real thing...

Ofcourse the data on the link above does not provide much authority and it's quite possible if not even probable that TK has better data, however...it's worthy of investigation for F-104 fans ;-)

Argh... Fuselage Cd0 = 0.0253 is definetely too high for this kind of 3D shape... It should be something around 0.005.

Cd0=0.0172 for the real plane is believable. I think I have some data of the 104 somewhere. Have to check...

Edited by kreelin

I' ve done right now the test with the 0.0172 velue.... but now I have a super Supercruise.... 1400 Km/h without AB incredible

I'm gonna do some more test flight and let you know.

Thanks to all.

Ok so adjusting the fuselage Cd0 alone seems not to be sufficent :no:

But here is the 104A flight envelope (an extract of NasaCR2144 doc IIRC) . As you can see, the bird max speed at 10kft is 1.3 in nominal config and Mach 2.0 is only possible above 30kft.

post-5541-1237302014_thumb.png

Edited by kreelin

Argh... Fuselage Cd0 = 0.0253 is definetely too high for this kind of 3D shape... It should be something around 0.005. Cd0=0.0172 for the real plane is believable. I think I have some data of the 104 somewhere. Have to check...

Jeez, I didn't realize that Cd0 can be down that low and be realistic. I've been tweaking the F-107 and F-103 to get them closer to their actual (F-107) and projected (F-103) speeds. Though I don't think the F-103 would have ever actually gone to Mach 3 in real life...

Now if I can just get the F-108 to be faster...

FC

Think it all depends. Took my unpatched TW SFP1 SP4 F104G with the original fuselage drag figures

up in WOE to 36.000 ft., dropped the tanks and accelerated. Took quite some time but.......

Supercruised too, which as far as I know wasn't possible in real life. In other words I think that TK did a great job with his original Starfighter

Probably bringing down drag figures is not the whole story. Don't know enough about it but maybe the Mach tables play a role too.

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk