Sign in to follow this  
HomeBoy

Opinion of OFF? -sorry, really noob question

I've searched briefly on the boards here and didn't see anything.

I don't own CFS3 so I guess I'm looking at $39.99 for BH&H plus finding a copy of CFS3 ($10-15 at amazon) right? Can you point me to threads that discuss the gameplay, offline, online, etc.?

Red Baron II was the game that got me hooked on mmog back in 1997 (or whenever that was) and I have longed for a good WW1 game ever since. I have purchased so many games over the years and watched them rot on my HD that I want to be a little more deliberate about this.

I'm guessing that BH&H is a new patch for OFF? Sorry for the idiot questions. I'm just beginning to look into this.

Thank you much for any assistance.

Welcome Homeboy

If you read through you'll find plenty of comments about people's experience with OFF but yes you need CFS3 to play OFF BH&H. OFF is a technically a mod but more accurately it's a total transformation of CFS3 given we replace the whole campaign engine, scenery, improved AI etc.

You only need CFS3 and OFF:BH&H, no previous version of OFF is needed.

It's commonly known as Phase 3 (we released P1 in 2005 and P2 in 2007) but it's not dependent on them.

If you have a look on our homepage and the FAQ you'll find a lot of the answers there too.

http://www.overflandersfields.com

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm

Found the reviews etc. I was looking for. Duh! Sorry for the impulsive post earlier.

Thanks viewers for not posting what you were probably thinking. <S!>

Homeboy,

If you liked RB3D, you'll love BHaH. In 20 years of flying, BHaH is the best money I ever spent on a flight sim.

I hope you'll enjoy becoming a part of the BHaH community as much as I have. I'm a noob here, too, but have always found members who are willing to answer my questions.

Welcome.

You should order it. You won't regret it! Online play is a little trickier with it, but there's a growing community of online players and some of them really know what they're doing, so that arena is looking good too. I've been playing online a couple of weeks now and loving it. Missions with real, live wingmen is a blast!

Here's the address of one online group: http://www.freewebs.com/dovesandhawks/

Homeboy,

If you liked RB3D, you'll love BHaH. In 20 years of flying, BHaH is the best money I ever spent on a flight sim.

I hope you'll enjoy becoming a part of the BHaH community as much as I have. I'm a noob here, too, but have always found members who are willing to answer my questions.

Welcome.

I'll co-sign that. :yes:

Like you, I was an avid RB3D player, and was really down when advances in computers made it obsolete. I've hoped and prayed for a new (and better) WWI flight sim to come along. OFF/BHAH is what I've been looking for.

The graphics and the game are so superior to RB3D that I can't imagine anyone who liked the old game not loving this one. And the group is very helpful.

Considering the price of everything these days; and also taking into consideration the fact that this isn't a game produced by a huge company; I think the price is reasonable. And after I got it, the game was so much of everything I was looking for that the price didn't matter.

Like you, I have games gathering dust on my shelf, too. OFF/BHAH is the one I use all the time. I think if you buy it you won't be sorry. I know I wasn't.

Prost!

TvO

Plus it's a never ending saga! :wink: :wink:

Well worth the money, but it will make the little lady mad, because you will be hooked. You will want to spend all your tome flying and she will resent that LOL. The sim is the best I have ever played. Welcome to the OFF skies.

My wife has started calling herself a war widow! I'm going to be in trouble soon!

Chalk me up as another convert. Read about this on another forum, and as someone who absolutely loved the entire RB series I was intrigued.

Then I saw it was $50 (at the time), and scoffed. $50 for a mod? Then more and more positive impressions were pouring in on the other (non-flight-sim-centric) forum, and I thought what the hell.

I haven't played sims since IL2 in 2001. I decided to go full-bore and get a TrackIR while I was at it.

And let me tell you. This is one of the best flight sims I have ever played. Even without TrackIR it truly is the spiritual successor to the Red Baron series.

Homeboy.

RB3D fanatic myself.......what was your name in the game?

But this takes wwi flying to a level you cant imagine. Ive tried all the other games too, and none of them ever got played more than 4 or 5 times,,,

now it seems this is all i do.

flynnej,,,when we gonna see you in a mp game?

Don't let it put you off, that you must get CFS3 first, too - everyone knows, it wasn't a masterpiece; but "Between Heaven and Hell" is right that!

You can't get it any more realistic. So, if you're not into arcades, but the real difficult flying and fighting, you can't do a thing wrong, when you buy it.

(And - although we don't like taht here - you COULD switch everything to "easy" even, if you wanted. But believe me - you won't!)

Thanks for all replies. I've placed the order! :clapping:

I have been playing Aces High (WW2 online game) for ten years or so now (since the experience with RB3D). I'm not quitting AH but I do want to take a break from it for a little while. I have really missed the old slow crates!

Homeboy.

RB3D fanatic myself.......what was your name in the game?

Hello sitting_duck. I only played RB3D online for less than a year (1997 seems like). My ingame id was HomeBoy. I flew with the Lafayette Escadrille. We had our own paint scheme and everything. I even built a couple of models and painted them our squad colors. They're "flying" over my head right now as a matter of fact. One of the guys even made tee shirts which I finally had to retire to a shining rag about a year ago. Those were some great memories. Maybe if I can get the camera away from my wife, I'll take some pictures and post them here.

I have come full circle I guess. After RB3D I got into Fighter Duel (WW2 dueling game over phone modem), then dabbled with Flying Circus (a WW1 online experiment that lasted a year or so), then someone invited me to check out the online WW2 combat game Aces High where I've been ever since. Sprinkled in along the way have been serious (at times) investments in Falcon4 (and variants) and LockOn Flaming Cliffs (which I've gotten back to playing lately). However, I have for a long time wanted to get back to the simple/slow stuff. Watching some of the videos I've found on youtube has really gotten me piqued to get into this game. I watched the very slow and somewhat stagnant progress of Storm Of Aces and finally gave up on hoping that would develop. To be honest, I have known of OFF for a while and have not given it a serious look because I never had much of a positive opinion of the CFS series. I picked up CFS2 somewhere and "played" (pun intended) with it for a while and ended up deleting it. OFF, I agree, appears to be an entirely different animal.

I found a CH controller map at the ch_hangar and have been looking over the key commands (few as they are; at least as applies to OFF) and getting my controllers ready for OFF. Not a difficult task :biggrin: especially after some of the setups for jet games.

Thanks again. This seems like a very nice community. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys.

regards

-mark (HomeBoy)

Chalk me up as another convert. Read about this on another forum, and as someone who absolutely loved the entire RB series I was intrigued.

Then I saw it was $50 (at the time), and scoffed. $50 for a mod? Then more and more positive impressions were pouring in on the other (non-flight-sim-centric) forum, and I thought what the hell.

I haven't played sims since IL2 in 2001. I decided to go full-bore and get a TrackIR while I was at it.

And let me tell you. This is one of the best flight sims I have ever played. Even without TrackIR it truly is the spiritual successor to the Red Baron series.

Goodonya flynnj. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Trackir will make a HUGE difference ! Now I hope you've gone back to those unbelievers on the other forum who also scoffed at the 50 bucks and set them straight ? And then if they switch tactics to how old the cfs3 engine is and how cfs3 as a game was crap etc etc you can perhaps straighten that out too lol.

Welcome to the OFF BH&H forum.

Homeboy, BH&H is the best WWI sim to be produced to date, and any WWI aviation enthusiast who says they don't like it, haven't tried it. It's the CFS3 stigma, however, CFS3 is an excellent buy as there are some more great add ons for it that you may not know about. There is OFF BH&H of course, but there's also..........

Mediterranean Air War, a WWII mod set in the Mediterranean Theater of the war, and can be found here......

www.medairwar.com

European Theater of Operations, a WWII mod set in Western Europe much the same as CFS3, but with updated scenery, graphics etc. It can be found here......

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?autocom=

downloads&showcat=10

Just copy the link and paste it in your browser window.

And there's Pacific Theater of Operations, a WWII add on set in the Pacific Theater, and finally Korean Skies, a Korean War add on. Both can be found at

www.koreanskies.com.

You can still go to the OFF 1&2 forum and request a DVD of OFF Phase 2 if you would like to see what OFF is like, but if you want the "full monty", BH&H is by far the way to go.

CJ

PS: If you go to SimOuthouse there is a veritable wealth of info and add ons for CFS3.

Edited by Cameljockey

Hey Cameljockey?

Thanks for the headsup..I knew about all of these except the ETO one.

The link takes you to a forum, but is this downloadable without joining the forum? (too many forums in my list)

Hey Cameljockey?

Thanks for the headsup..I knew about all of these except the ETO one.

The link takes you to a forum, but is this downloadable without joining the forum? (too many forums in my list)

No, joining is not required, at least I didn't have to join to download it. Excellent add on. A lot of familiar names in the credits.

CJ

Thanks for all replies. I've placed the order! :clapping:

I have come full circle I guess. After RB3D I got into Fighter Duel (WW2 dueling game over phone modem),

Fighter Duel......Holy Moley!. I flew, very briefly, under my first and only moniker, "plugged nickel", between 14.0 to V.90 "high speed modem" days. "High speed modem" was my first real introduction to the term oxymoron.

I never went back on-line in mp areans; stayed with lan with small group of friends for awhile until we drifted.

I didn't think anything could be better than RB3D, especially after RELOAD offered TIR and fuel/air mixture.

Boy was I ever wrong.