Sign in to follow this  
Siggi

Bloody buggering hell.

Third mission, tootling over the lines with three of my chaps, spotted a glimpse in the distance (TAC red) but failed to see anything definite. About thirty seconds later I take a burst that cripples my kite (Hardcore DM) and I try to make it back over the lines. Another burst and I try to get lower but I suppose the old bird had had enough and I blacked out to awaken in a Stalag.

This lark isn't any old cakewalk, is it. :good:

No, she's not.

I'm curious, Sig. What range do you set your TAC on? I'm using it (duly noted as DiD/T), as on my smaller monitor (but then what monitor isn't smaller compared to yours!) :kudos: and my aging eyesight, I find it extremely difficult to spot even my own wingmen without labels unless they are pretty close behind me. Comparing this with my experiences flying it seems to me that it is harder to spot planes in OFF than in life. I pretty much dislike the immersion killer of leaving labels on, so I use TAC. I still have to peer at the screen in what my wife says is a pretty strange looking position to spot what my TAC tells me is there. I fly without my glasses as TrackiIR doesn't like them and they're progressive bifocals anyway, so there's only one little spot on them that's good for seeing the monitor clearly. (Grumble....rumble...curse aging!!!)

But I've been setting TAC at 2 miles when I take off and I leave it there. If planes don't come within two miles of me, I'm not going to see them, that's for sure. So, TAC at 2 seems to me to be a compromise needed by the difficulty of spotting those little pixels against those other pixels.

But I'm toying with the idea of dropping it to 1 mile and leaving it there. If you were jumped only 30 seconds or so after being warned by TAC....er, "spotting a glimpse in the distance"...that enemy were nearby, I'm guess you have yours set on a smaller radius. What do you (and others that use TAC) do?

No, she's not.

I'm curious, Sig. What range do you set your TAC on? I'm using it (duly noted as DiD/T), as on my smaller monitor (but then what monitor isn't smaller compared to yours!) :kudos: and my aging eyesight, I find it extremely difficult to spot even my own wingmen without labels unless they are pretty close behind me. Comparing this with my experiences flying it seems to me that it is harder to spot planes in OFF than in life. I pretty much dislike the immersion killer of leaving labels on, so I use TAC. I still have to peer at the screen in what my wife says is a pretty strange looking position to spot what my TAC tells me is there. I fly without my glasses as TrackiIR doesn't like them and they're progressive bifocals anyway, so there's only one little spot on them that's good for seeing the monitor clearly. (Grumble....rumble...curse aging!!!)

But I've been setting TAC at 2 miles when I take off and I leave it there. If planes don't come within two miles of me, I'm not going to see them, that's for sure. So, TAC at 2 seems to me to be a compromise needed by the difficulty of spotting those little pixels against those other pixels.

But I'm toying with the idea of dropping it to 1 mile and leaving it there. If you were jumped only 30 seconds or so after being warned by TAC....er, "spotting a glimpse in the distance"...that enemy were nearby, I'm guess you have yours set on a smaller radius. What do you (and others that use TAC) do?

My TAC is set for 4 miles, which is the max range it'll pick up any a/c anyway. But they come on as white and don't change to blue or red until about one mile away. If they're blue I ignore them (and often ignore white ones if they're too far off my mission route). If they're red I switch off the TAC and start praying while I try to visually acquire the buggers. On this occasion I failed miserably. I still don't know if they came from above or below.

My next career is in Jasta 3, flying some ropey old barge called a Halberstadt. Yes, I've been drawn to the hun. Eek! :biggrin:

I fly DiD with TAC set to 1 mile and turn it off as soon as the blips turn red. I don't have TrackIR so I have to do my damndest to eyeball the bogies before the cherries appear. That's when the trouble starts anyway... if I don't have a bead and good angle on an HA by the time my flight is mixing it up I've no chance. So, I'll climb and hope to spot one of my wingies on the tail of one so as to go down and help. If I'm hit I'll butt out straightaway, trying to fly on padlock with an under-performing machine is an invitation to the cold embrace of Mother Earth!

I've 17.6 hours after 35 missions with 6 confirmed. If I can make it through with that I'll be very happy so discretion has completely swallowed valour leaving only duty.

This game is the toughest thing I've done for sim recreation!!

Whoops! My bad. I mean TAC at 2 miles. At 1 the bastards're red anyway.

I don't have TrackIR so I have to do my damndest to eyeball the bogies before the cherries appear. ... So, I'll climb and hope to spot one of my wingies on the tail of one so as to go down and help. If I'm hit I'll butt out straightaway, trying to fly on padlock with an under-performing machine is an invitation to the cold embrace of Mother Earth!

I've 17.6 hours after 35 missions with 6 confirmed. If I can make it through with that I'll be very happy so discretion has completely swallowed valour leaving only duty.

Dej, my hat is off to you mate! I just flew a mission and thought about turning labels on when I saw a dogfight in the distance. I wanted to know who was who before entering the furball. I just headed for the three on top (turned out to be two DIIs on a N17, poor chap). Now I feel like a wimp! :blink: I don't know how you do it without TrackIR! It's the hardest sim experience I've ever had WITH IT!!

But what a BLAST!

Dej, my hat is off to you mate! I just flew a mission and thought about turning labels on when I saw a dogfight in the distance. I wanted to know who was who before entering the furball. I just headed for the three on top (turned out to be two DIIs on a N17, poor chap). Now I feel like a wimp! :blink: I don't know how you do it without TrackIR! It's the hardest sim experience I've ever had WITH IT!!

But what a BLAST!

Ah, undeserved but thank you. I have to say though that had I started on 1.28 with that pilot he'd not be here today. These days I run away more than I fight.

My TAC is set to 4 miles, which is a distance, were I can see planes (at normal sunny weather).

But I was attacked yesterday by Nieuports, that had hidden in a huge cloud.

They were already close enough to turn red on the TAC, but didn't!

Only, when they came OUT of that cloud, they were suddenly red specs.

Clever, eyh? And dangerous...

In your case, Siggi, it might have been a "quick diver" like SPAD XIII, coming from high above, right down on you.

Edited by Olham

Ahhhhhh. Excellent,eeeeeeeexxcelllent.....wringing my hands and doing my best Mad Scientist impression. Siggi's come over to the Dark Side. Welcome...on a lighter note, the Dark Side is having Tea n Biscuits at noon, enjoy! :rofl:

Seriously though, The Halberstadts a pretty nice little ride, you will enjoy! Just remember, its a bit like the Sop. Tripe.....handles nice, but is a bit undergunned. It will make you much better at targeting and ammunition conservation...cause you gotta be, there isn't much!! :yes: But I found the AC much nicer to fly than expected. Would like to hear your impression as well once you've flown her a bit. Good Luck!

ZZ.

I fly without my glasses as TrackiIR doesn't like them and they're progressive bifocals anyway, so there's only one little spot on them that's good for seeing the monitor clearly. (Grumble....rumble...curse aging!!!)

Just read the thread and picked up on your comment "TIR doesn't like them". Care to elaborate ? My computer glasses are mid range (top portion) and close up (bottom of lens). Going without glasses is not an option for me (otherwise just a blur). I've toyed with the idea of TIR but if wearing glasses is a conflict then I'm out of luck.

Ahhhhhh. Excellent,eeeeeeeexxcelllent.....wringing my hands and doing my best Mad Scientist impression. Siggi's come over to the Dark Side. Welcome...on a lighter note, the Dark Side is having Tea n Biscuits at noon, enjoy! :rofl:

Seriously though, The Halberstadts a pretty nice little ride, you will enjoy! Just remember, its a bit like the Sop. Tripe.....handles nice, but is a bit undergunned. It will make you much better at targeting and ammunition conservation...cause you gotta be, there isn't much!! :yes: But I found the AC much nicer to fly than expected. Would like to hear your impression as well once you've flown her a bit. Good Luck!

ZZ.

I flew a mission in it this afternoon. Was supposed to be a long one, but my flight was lagging so I turned back to pick them up and the white dots behind them turned out to be Nupe-11s. The Halb was able to turn with them, flies very nicely, but the off-set gun plus lousy visibility is a bugger to shoot with. I got one of them, but more luck than judgement. Didn't run out of ammo though, and that was after shooting at two or three of them.

I'm in sept 1916...how long until the Alb DII is issued? :biggrin:

Just read the thread and picked up on your comment "TIR doesn't like them". Care to elaborate ? My computer glasses are mid range (top portion) and close up (bottom of lens). Going without glasses is not an option for me (otherwise just a blur). I've toyed with the idea of TIR but if wearing glasses is a conflict then I'm out of luck.

If the TiR picks up reflected light from the glasses it will make it go nutso.

If the TiR picks up reflected light from the glasses it will make it go nutso.

Rats :sad:

So much for TIR ....

Over50. Well, I would probably wear the glasses with TrackIR anyway if it wasn't for the progressive lenses which means that most of the screen is blurred for me unless I turn my head to look at each thing I want to see through the right part of the lens that makes it clear. But if I do that, then TrackIR turns my view so that I'm not actually looking at that part of the screen anymore. Sort of defeats the purpose!

I also notice that when I'm wearing the glasses, TrackIR "sees" them as a reflective surface. They show up as little red dots below the large green dots of the actual reflective surfaces of the visor clip in the camera view. I *think* this makes the TrackIR confused sometimes, and this shows up as a more jerky movement. But I'm not sure. I usually don't have them on, so I'm not sure it makes much of a difference, actually. People have said that background light and glasses are an issue though, so perhaps do a little searching before investing. Like I said, I think it would be fine if you have glasses that don't have to be "aimed" to be clear.

Guest British_eh

Well, it seems as though I'm in good company. I fly with TAC buried so only 1/2 is visible, and at 1NM. i leave it on all the time, so is it DiD? Suppose not, but, it doesn't show my six, but at least gives me some clue as to what and where. Given the AI "see" me, I think it's reasonable, ( ruling here please Siggi?). I have TIR, but find it a pain in combat, and switch out to using the hat switch, so as to stabilize my gun sights. I like the pedals better than TIR, but oh well.

Best pilot to date, 4.33 hours, kind of mediocre when with P2, labels on, I was at 20+. Reality sets in.

Cheers,

British_eh

Rats :sad:

So much for TIR ....

I wonder if there's any way of applying a matt surface to the glass that won't diminish it's transparency?

Yeah, that radiator cap, or whatever it is in your line of gunsight, really is the main bugger for that AC. Ummmm, I'm kinda waiting for the Alb-DII upgrade to come along there myself with my current Halb pilot. Of course its different for different Jastas, but I'll have to check the dates on my campaign and see. I guess one thing you could do is go in and set up a pilot for that Jasta you are in, then scroll through the enlistment dates and it will tell you when certain machines become available. Then once you know just delete the pilot.

ZZ.

Well, it seems as though I'm in good company. I fly with TAC buried so only 1/2 is visible, and at 1NM. i leave it on all the time, so is it DiD? Suppose not, but, it doesn't show my six, but at least gives me some clue as to what and where. Given the AI "see" me, I think it's reasonable, ( ruling here please Siggi?). I have TIR, but find it a pain in combat, and switch out to using the hat switch, so as to stabilize my gun sights. I like the pedals better than TIR, but oh well.

Best pilot to date, 4.33 hours, kind of mediocre when with P2, labels on, I was at 20+. Reality sets in.

Cheers,

British_eh

Ruling? DiD + TAC = DiD/T

With labels as well = DiD/TL

At which point the small children who gather around the aerodrome to watch the planes come and go will point their fingers at you and laugh. And throw stones. :haha:

Edited by Siggi

Yeah, that radiator cap, or whatever it is in your line of gunsight, really is the main bugger for that AC. Ummmm, I'm kinda waiting for the Alb-DII upgrade to come along there myself with my current Halb pilot. Of course its different for different Jastas, but I'll have to check the dates on my campaign and see. I guess one thing you could do is go in and set up a pilot for that Jasta you are in, then scroll through the enlistment dates and it will tell you when certain machines become available. Then once you know just delete the pilot.

ZZ.

Might be an idea. At least then I'll know if malingering is an option.

Over50. Well, I would probably wear the glasses with TrackIR anyway if it wasn't for the progressive lenses which means that most of the screen is blurred for me unless I turn my head to look at each thing I want to see through the right part of the lens that makes it clear. But if I do that, then TrackIR turns my view so that I'm not actually looking at that part of the screen anymore. Sort of defeats the purpose!

I also notice that when I'm wearing the glasses, TrackIR "sees" them as a reflective surface. They show up as little red dots below the large green dots of the actual reflective surfaces of the visor clip in the camera view. I *think* this makes the TrackIR confused sometimes, and this shows up as a more jerky movement. But I'm not sure. I usually don't have them on, so I'm not sure it makes much of a difference, actually. People have said that background light and glasses are an issue though, so perhaps do a little searching before investing. Like I said, I think it would be fine if you have glasses that don't have to be "aimed" to be clear.

Thanks for the feedback - and Siggi, too. But, yeah, like I mentioned I don't have the option to not wear my glasses. I was near-sighted to begin with and once that started to go it's been trifocals for everyday use, separate glasses for my computer use that is mid-range on top and closeup on the bottom (bifocal) and a third pair with just long distance, polarized lenses for daylight/bright sun driving. Like you, just another consequence of aging, like it or not...

Thanks for the feedback - and Siggi, too. But, yeah, like I mentioned I don't have the option to not wear my glasses. I was near-sighted to begin with and once that started to go it's been trifocals for everyday use, separate glasses for my computer use that is mid-range on top and closeup on the bottom (bifocal) and a third pair with just long distance, polarized lenses for daylight/bright sun driving. Like you, just another consequence of aging, like it or not...

I wear glasses:

1) Make sure you have enabled light filtering in the Tracking settings preview window and also adjust the light filtering slider - remember trackir is infra red so you can get it to work in pretty high light environs.

2) Make sure no really direct sunlight / bright light comes in from the area behind the monitor.

After the above you should be fine

HTH

WM

I wonder if there's any way of applying a matt surface to the glass that won't diminish it's transparency?

My trifocal glasses are anti-reflective (not cheap...like $80 more per lense) which are great for night driving. No more lens glare/spots from reflected headlights. But glare/reflected light, etc., from my monitor hasn't been a issue so had to reason to opt for the anti-reflective lenses (and additional $160) for my computer use. Something to think about though the next time I have to get new lenses...

I wear glasses:

1) Make sure you have enabled light filtering in the Tracking settings preview window and also adjust the light filtering slider - remember trackir is infra red so you can get it to work in pretty high light environs.

2) Make sure no really direct sunlight / bright light comes in from the area behind the monitor.

After the above you should be fine

HTH

WM

So what you're saying is TIR does have provisions (adjustments) for folks with glasses. Hmmmm. Have to give it some more thought in this case. As for "bright light", I have a 5x8 ft. window in my room that is to my back and off to my left and while I don't get direct sun light there is a lot of reflected light off the neighbors siding at certain times of the day. Enough so that if I'm playing a computer game I usually pull the blinds down to keep from washing out the LCD display. The blinds are beige in color and translucent such that sun light is diffused vs near total light block. All this said, with few exceptions all my flying is done from early evening on so bright sun isn't an issue. That leaves reflected monitor light on my glasses to contend which, again, you're saying can be compensated for with the TIR setup.

So what you're saying is TIR does have provisions (adjustments) for folks with glasses. Hmmmm. Have to give it some more thought in this case. As for "bright light", I have a 5x8 ft. window in my room that is to my back and off to my left and while I don't get direct sun light there is a lot of reflected light off the neighbors siding at certain times of the day. Enough so that if I'm playing a computer game I usually pull the blinds down to keep from washing out the LCD display. The blinds are beige in color and translucent such that sun light is diffused vs near total light block. All this said, with few exceptions all my flying is done from early evening on so bright sun isn't an issue. That leaves reflected monitor light on my glasses to contend which, again, you're saying can be compensated for with the TIR setup.

Trackir.bmp

I fly with glasses. I don't have light on near me, only sidewards of me. But it works fine.

If you see red spots in the adjustment window with the three green spots of the reflector,

you must switch lights off. The monitor should NOT be a problematic light source - just

make the adjustments as Winder says, and you'll be fine!