Sign in to follow this  
IvanK

German Airspeed Indicators ... missing

Missing from all the German types are the Airspeed Indicators. Typically these were of the self contained anemometer type and located on a strut outside the Propeller slipstream. Typical example can be seen on this Fokker DR I restoration :

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/indexuk.html

Any chance of such a device being included in OFF ?

Although I'm none of the devs here, I'd say, that this would mean to modify the basic 3D model

of the plane. So I don't think, it will be made before another later version of the sim.

But, since I haveb't noticed your name before, you may be new here? So, welcome.

If you really fly this sim, IvanK, you won't miss the device. This is the greatest air combat sim I have

ever experienced - very realistic, and - if you want - very hard to manage to survive.

The immersion of BHaH is immense - many "pilots" here are already exhausted after just one serious

dogfight. Your senses are running double-speed - a-hell-of-a-lot of thrilling immersion.

Something will always be found, that's missing, that could be improved. The AI's fighting intelligence surely not!

Try it - you'll see: you won't even find time to look at your airspeed indicator (Lol!) Welcome again.

Hello,

does not the Hannover reconnaissance plane indeed have this indicator ? It had it in P2 (left outer struts), however i did not try it yet with P3 ..

Greetings,

Catfish

It did in P2 Catfish not in P3.

You should try it btw, revamped model, brand new cockpit...

Hello Pol,

thanks, i certainly will sooner or later, just ... need .... time :biggrin:

I saw in P2 that the indicator was attached upside down, however i saw on a photo it indeed was positioned in the strangest positions on various planes to somehow fit to the struts ! Why did you leave this out in P3 ?

Another question, just saw a preview movie here

http://pop.youtube.com/watch?v=v5p1A7SawZ4...re=channel_page

At 2:40 there is a Morane ? Or does this belong to another sim ?

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Although I'm none of the devs here, I'd say, that this would mean to modify the basic 3D model

of the plane. So I don't think, it will be made before another later version of the sim.

But, since I haveb't noticed your name before, you may be new here? So, welcome.

If you really fly this sim, IvanK, you won't miss the device. This is the greatest air combat sim I have

ever experienced - very realistic, and - if you want - very hard to manage to survive.

The immersion of BHaH is immense - many "pilots" here are already exhausted after just one serious

dogfight. Your senses are running double-speed - a-hell-of-a-lot of thrilling immersion.

Something will always be found, that's missing, that could be improved. The AI's fighting intelligence surely not!

Try it - you'll see: you won't even find time to look at your airspeed indicator (Lol!) Welcome again.

Excuse me Oldham but how about keeping to the subject ?

My comment was purely in relation to Air speed indicators nothing else. I havent complained about immersion AI, or the stamina required to fly a serious dogfight.

I can get on quite well without the ASI too boot. It was an observation not a complaint. Yes I am a Noob to OFF but not the Combat flight Sim arena. For the record I am enjoying OFF immensely (at max difficulty settings right from the get go) and appreciate the dedication that has obviously gone in to producing this gem.

Hi,

this is the windex used in P2,

post-45860-1237414631_thumb.jpg

post-45860-1237414654_thumb.jpg

One in standing position, the other during flight, but it is WW2 style and does not indicate any speed, so maybe this is the reason why they did not use it in P3 - but i would still like to have my question(s) answered .... Pol ? :wink:

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Yep same reason as you, time ;)

Dials do not work outside of the pilots virtual cockpit, and then that means we have to extend the cockpit to include struts and wings which you can do for near things, but that far out really odd things will happen... when you move your head, so pretty unlikely we'll add working ones anyway.

Yep same reason as you, time ;)

Dials do not work outside of the pilots virtual cockpit, and then that means we have to extend the cockpit to include struts and wings which you can do for near things, but that far out really odd things will happen... when you move your head, so pretty unlikely we'll add working ones anyway.

Sounds like an ideal candidate for an 'Alternate Universe' solution, where each Jasta fits a Ruestsaetze (field modification) speedo inside of the cockpit.

There are plenty of alternatives, there F5, z key, or "guess" as many pilots did.

Many german a/c did not have more instrumentation. Some only the very basic

Yep we can customise some and may do so where applicable, but the "time" reason is still a big problem.

Guest British_eh

DiD doesn't allow for HUD, so evenif it's there, you don't have time in combatto veiw it, so the onlytime you might look at itas at landing, and if you're in a stall :no::no:

Cheers,

British_eh

It would be nice but no big deal. Who constantly monitors airspeed anyway ? With taking off/landing it's all done with the "feel" of the aircraft, at least for me. I never look at the airspeed. It's the RPM I'm constantly monitoring and adjusting via the mixture lever.

Exactly catch. As I say most craft did not have them so you are well and truly DiD'd :)

If trees zoom by you, you are OK, if they don't and instead seem to be moving upwards you are too slow.

Never had a look at airspeed, too.

It only worries me at the point, when the wings of my Albatros crack away.

But as I don't know exactly, at which airspeed they will do that, it's useless for me.

When I can "feel" the craft's behaviour and situation in the air, I'm fine. With the Alb, I got there.

(Well, breaking wings recently tought me a lesson, I hadn't know yet - don't dive like the SPAD you're hunting!)