Sign in to follow this  
HomeBoy

A little Red Baron reminiscence

While I'm waiting for my copy of BHaH to arrive, I've been dragging out all my old manuals, maps, etc. from my days with Red Baron I (yup, still have the diskettes, maps, great historical document from that old thing) and RB3D. I thought you might enjoy a little trip down memory lane as well.

Here are a couple of models (a Nieuport 17 and Spad 13) that I built while I was flying with the Lafayette Escadrille squadron of RB3D. One of our squad mates skinned all the planes for us using the paint scheme I used in these models. These planes are currently protecting my 4 as I fly.

Hope you enjoy. Can't wait to join you in OFF!

models.jpg

Another squad mate was kind enough to make tee shirts for all of us. I regret that I did not take pictures of this shirt before it was retired as a shining rag (it's 10 years old now).

teeshirtFront.jpg

Front view of shirt. Used to read "1917" where the hole exists now.

teeshirtBack.jpg

Back view of shirt

Welcome Homeboy, yep, looks like you're one of us and have joined up with the right squad. I hope you get your disk asap. Take a good look around the forum and the homepage for tips, cheats and other good info. I know you are going to have a great time flying Over Flander's Fields. :drinks: Here's to the new guy. Thanks for the trip.

Youre in good company here homeboy. I still have the RB1 maps too. Ah memories.....

-Rooster

Welcome Snomhf oops I mean Homeboy: :hi:

I remember you from the CH-hangar. I followed your left hand HOTAS thingy there, and even though I am a righty I thought it was absolutely amazing.

If anyone needs/wants a left hand HOTAS. This is the guy to talk to.

Anyway good to see you over here.

Tony

Hello,

i still look at the original RB2 manual at times, much good info, and a real booklet ! RB3d, well i downloaded this later, but it only developed into real good sim after "Charles de Thielt" and Ren had figured out how to access some inner file stuff. I flew some times online as "Catfish" back then, but so few time in the last years. I have to say i played it more with single campaign, and maybe 5 percent for the time online - but it was great. I am not sure how this online play develops OFF-wise, but the "Boys of 60" fly a lot online, there's Stumpjumper here, Nio and lots of others.

Anyway welcome to Over Flanders Fields, you will now have to learn how to really fly a plane, bit different than in the good old RB days lol.

Greetings,

Catfish

Homeboy,

I flew with the LafEsc in the old days too :yes: . I was recruited by Uriel in late '98, and flew as LE_Mac for a year with the squad, until my good friend Tim Brown (LE_Albert) died, when I kinda lost heart for it.

Tim & I were at Rhinebeck in the summer of '98 with 5 other LE (Photo, Spinny, Budman, SilverStorm, and the ex-paratrooper from Chicago whose moniker I've forgotten :dntknw: ). That was the year that many Red Baron flyers from all over the country showed up at Rhinebeck for the first time as a group. I still have my teeshirt as well, also well-worn. Budman had them made up for us for that first Rhinebeck Red Baron "reunion".

ah yes, great days!

RB3d is like a lovely old Uncle.... Your visit's to see him get less and less as you get older...until one day he just slips away into the night..leaving just fond memories!

Homeboy,

I flew with the LafEsc in the old days too :yes: . I was recruited by Uriel in late '98, and flew as LE_Mac for a year with the squad, until my good friend Tim Brown (LE_Albert) died, when I kinda lost heart for it.

Tim & I were at Rhinebeck in the summer of '98 with 5 other LE (Photo, Spinny, Budman, SilverStorm, and the ex-paratrooper from Chicago whose moniker I've forgotten :dntknw: ). That was the year that many Red Baron flyers from all over the country showed up at Rhinebeck for the first time as a group. I still have my teeshirt as well, also well-worn. Budman had them made up for us for that first Rhinebeck Red Baron "reunion".

I remember you Mac! This is great to find you here. You may not remember me as I didn't fly on line all that much; mostly did the campaign and read books, built models, etc and did H2H with Gil a lot.

Gil (Budman) is a good friend of mine. We met when I challenged him on the Fighter Duel Ladder and had to call him on the phone. In those days, when you wanted to fight someone, you called them on the phone, turned on your 1200 bps modems, said "see you in the game", then "hooked up." I got him into RC planes and in return he invited me to join LafEsc. I was actually planning to come up to the Rhinebeck reunion but couldn't do it. I would have met you otherwise.

I attended the Albert online "funeral." That was amazing.

Anyway, very nice to make contact with you again Interlocutor. Glad you're a part of the OFF community.

Regards

-mark

I remember you, too Homeboy :yes: . I remember you from posts on the old club board..

Say hi to Gil for me. I realized, after my first post, that the Rhinebeck thing was in the summer of 1999, not 1998.

Tim's (Albert's) memorial flyby was quite a moving thing, wasn't it? Tim's wife Sarah, his mother and his sister were at my house the night it happened, watching on my PC. I'll never forget it.

Attached is a pic of the LafEsc members at Rhinebeck that summer (note we have our teeshirts on). Front row: Tim (Albert), Photo, ? from Chicago. Back Row: Spinny, Byron Angel, me (straw hat), Budman (Gil), SilverStorm. Byron was an "honorary" LafEsc member then. He posts on many boards these days as "Blutarski".

post-45882-1237651058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Interlocutor

You found the right place here Homeboy..you'll love OFF!

Your post about the old RB days brought back forgotten memories. LE_Photo(deadly as I recall) LE_Spinny and the others. Also was part of the LE_Albert very moving memorial flyby. Was with the US_95th at the time. 1998-99 if IIRC.

As Widowmaker says, >> ...until one day he just slips away into the night..leaving just fond memories! <<

Regards,

Royce

You found the right place here Homeboy..you'll love OFF!

Your post about the old RB days brought back forgotten memories. LE_Photo(deadly as I recall) LE_Spinny and the others. Also was part of the LE_Albert very moving memorial flyby. Was with the US_95th at the time. 1998-99 if IIRC.

As Widowmaker says, >> ...until one day he just slips away into the night..leaving just fond memories! <<

Regards,

Royce

Red Baron was the first sim that really grabs me.

It starts my passion for flight sims.

But Red Baron3D was the one that really AMAZED me for the first time.I remember to actually FEELS like I was a WW1 fighter pilot.

I attended the memorial flyby as well. Don't think I'll ever forget it either. Man, those nicks made my head rewind to ten years ago. I remember Moritz (JG1 IIRC?) and a lot of the above mentioned LE pilots, Spinny, Photo, Mac etc. I flew on European time of course but I remember logging in to a server one time where it was basically only JG1 and WW against LE and WW. I think I was with JG1 at the time or possibly with Neal in J5. Don't think I managed an even score that night, even if I was a pretty decent Pfalz flier. It was generally hard to belong to a squad since most squads then were mainly in the US. IIIRC I flew for J5, JG1, WW and LE. Great squads with great people all of them.

And now we're here.

Does anyone remember the Japanese chap who was online quite a bit? I can't remember his name, but I do remember him teaching me the finer points of the Alb DII. Nice bloke.

Does anyone remember the Japanese chap who was online quite a bit? I can't remember his name, but I do remember him teaching me the finer points of the Alb DII. Nice bloke.

I do not know if they were from Japan but they lived somewere in Asia: "WWDemonfire" and "trouble_star" were from the start at the MMP Sever. The "Sensei" chap sounds to be one from Japan, but his real name had a France sound so it looks to be he was from Canada or maybe France.   

RB1 was my first flysim game, never worked well because of the DOS-memory isseu on my Win95 computer. But the Addobe files on the disk were very interesting. Soon after that I went out to the locall shop for RB2 and got a magazine with the superpath to upgrade to RB3D.

The Dynamix forum was and still is the best RB forum ever, moderated by RAF_Gromit, Northstar, Wile E Coyote. Wondering were all these guys went to, and what happend to the vTom, Beery, Wingstrut, Sygrog, etc what game are these guys modding now a days.    

Edited by Dutch_P47M

.... vTom, Beery, Wingstrut, Sygrog, etc what game are these guys modding now a days.

Wingstrut is now doing professional grade color profiles. Sygrod and the rest are not modding anything from what I've learned about them over the years. BTW... Beery was a WWI re-enactor, so I assume he's still doing that.

Shame, so much talent lost becuase they reached the 'top of the Red Baron' mountain. There is plenty of life after RB3D... even the guys that are still trying to work with it now. I give them a lot of credit, but the base game technology is now 10+ years old. Ancient by all means of computer life.

OvS

Wondering were all these guys went to, and what happend to the vTom, Beery, Wingstrut, Sygrog, etc what game are these guys modding now a days.

At Rhinebeck in '99, many RB flyers showed up, and I met Beery there, among many others. It turned out he lived near me in Boston, so he & I became friends and he got involved in miniatures wargaming with my Boston crowd. But he moved away from the Boston area, about 5 or 6 years ago I think, and I've since lost track of him.

The old LafEsc squad still exists, and has an online forum where a number of the old hands still hang out; SilverStorm, who was at Rhinebeck '99, is the C/O now, and they still play RB in MP. I dropped into the board when I first got OFF and tried to drum up interest. Here's a link to their board, if any of you want to drop in and give a friendly S!

http://www.le.ezhost.nu//cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

For all of you who've mentioned that you were at Tim's (Albert's) memorial flyby, I'd like to repeat again, nearly 10 years later, how grateful & awed I was at the response back then from Tim's fellow WW1 flyers. Tim was a good friend of mine, we went bowling once a month for years, and he played miniatures games with me & my group as well, I still miss him. His wife Sarah, his mother & sister were deeply moved by the flyby. Thanks again to all who participated.

Last time I had noticed Beery appearance was when he did a reply at a message from Wingstrut at a Silenthunter4 forum. His name was changed to Beeryus, it was an old message (2005) so I could not reply to it. Beery or Beeryus must have a Silenthunter web site, but still I could not find anything on Google.

Here is the message from Ubisoft Silenthunter3 forum:

Hey Wingstrut! Long time no see.

(Wingstrut and I go way back - back to Red Baron 3D in fact. We both made top quality realism mods for that game, before the 'Promised Land' folks sold out the community and made RB3D mod-making a commercial venture. )

Good to see you on this forum! Now, if only we had Sygrod and Von Tom, we'd have the old RB3D crew (all the 'good crew' at least) back together again.

I do not know that this was the reason why he left RB but I know that on the Delphi forum there was hate treats agains Beery regarding his terrain pack. It is a pity that those "trolling" people did never do anything in game improvements but have only negative comments and there main task is only to destabilize a good forum. They are just like grasshoppers in Africa, they eat everything at the forumfields and leave when there is nothing left. I hope the moderators will keep a close watch (check IPadres etc.) on these trollers and keep them out.

Edited by Dutch_P47M

I do not know if they were from Japan but they lived somewere in Asia: "WWDemonfire" and "trouble_star" were from the start at the MMP Sever. The "Sensei" chap sounds to be one from Japan, but his real name had a France sound so it looks to be he was from Canada or maybe France.

RB1 was my first flysim game, never worked well because of the DOS-memory isseu on my Win95 computer. But the Addobe files on the disk were very interesting. Soon after that I went out to the locall shop for RB2 and got a magazine with the superpath to upgrade to RB3D.

The Dynamix forum was and still is the best RB forum ever, moderated by RAF_Gromit, Northstar, Wile E Coyote. Wondering were all these guys went to, and what happend to the vTom, Beery, Wingstrut, Sygrog, etc what game are these guys modding now a days.

Dutch,

JG666_GremlinXO here. All those guys were present from the beginning of Red Baron II.

Sensei is Canadian, he is member of the Wing Walkers -> WWSensei. He was part of the 17 Hours W.W.I Flight Sim development team. Since then I lost track of him.

Von Tom emerged on the Delphi SWWISA forums about 2 years ago and posted an update to his campaign manager (available on Wings Of Honor).

Beery's Super Patch 2.0 is still available on Wings Of Honor too.

I had some contact with RAF_Gromit but this has been a while back.

Todd 'Wingstrut' Comeau used to have a website with great aircraft profiles which has now vanished from th eweb. There is onlysome of it left at www.archive.org.

Sygrod's RB II site is still on the web: http://home.golden.net/~ksharman/rb/Main.html

Homeboy,

Hi Mac,

I just spoke with Gil. It was good to catch up. I told him I had been in contact with you. He says "hello." The fellow from Chicago is Dragon, real name Jeff.

Thank you for posting the picture. I saved that off so I wouldn't lose it.

Take care! I'm enjoying this game!

-mark

Hello,

i still look at the original RB2 manual at times, much good info, and a real booklet ! RB3d, well i downloaded this later, but it only developed into real good sim after "Charles de Thielt" and Ren had figured out how to access some inner file stuff. I flew some times online as "Catfish" back then, but so few time in the last years. I have to say i played it more with single campaign, and maybe 5 percent for the time online - but it was great. I am not sure how this online play develops OFF-wise, but the "Boys of 60" fly a lot online, there's Stumpjumper here, Nio and lots of others.

Anyway welcome to Over Flanders Fields, you will now have to learn how to really fly a plane, bit different than in the good old RB days lol.

Greetings,

Catfish

I do as well! It's nice to see that Karel is still being remembered after so long. RBII was my baby for years. It was the first sim I ever patched, the old Delphi Forums the first group I ever met online, and I remember flying against quite a few of them back in the day. I'm trying to remember my old RBII handle - I've been CaptSopwith on the forums since 2000 but online I think I flew as "Udet". I was 17-18 back then, so I was usually the youngest one on the severs lol.

OFF, for me, feels like the spiritual successor to the RBII/3D years. While it is a vastly improved sim in every possible sense of the word, it still has that "feel" to me that I had back when I was sitting in the loft of my parents' house on a school night, flying one more mission before I had to get to bed. Those are some awesome memories.

I came into RB3D online play relatively late in it's run. I started flying with the RAF 209 in 2004, but I have had a blast over the last 4-plus years winging with this crew. Though I've not been terribly active with them for several months, it has all-in-all been great fun and I gained a wonderful group of online friends. And, not to pat myself on the back, but they do have a very nice website with RB3D history going all the way back to 1998, (I inherited the job of web master shortly after joining and have been running and improving the site since, until I recently turned over the task to our new WM, Trent).

RB3D was and still is a great old sim, and for MMP it is going to be hard to beat until a new WWI creation can offer game servers capable of handling 60+ players at one time. Projects such as OOF and RoF look promising, but those are both some time away yet I believe. However, I have to say, I still prefer SP for the campaign aspect and the immersion levels of the Great War aerial combat experience, and in that regards there is nothing at this point to rival BHaH. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Now this is funny...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030212234755/...om/hellsangels/

Man, that's an old one... 2002

Oh wow! Now that takes me back!

HASP is still a damn pretty patch - shame RB3D runs like it's hopped up on speed on my new PC. Nothing I can try will ever slow it down and OFF calls just a little too loudly to me.

Edited by _CaptSopwith

OVS, that image would make a great t-shirt logo. I am sorry I missed out on some of the best RB experience apparently.