Sign in to follow this  
HomeBoy

A little Red Baron reminiscence

I just noticed this was still up over at James old HASP site. For anyone in the mood for some decent (I wouldn't call it great) reading about the devleopment of RB3D's mods over the years, I wrote a brief history of it and James was kind enough to host it. This was quite some time ago (2004 I think?) but I figured if we were on a reminiscence streak, it might be fun. :biggrin:

http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/history.htm

Now THAT was a trip down memory lane.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.

shredward

shredward

I remember when Karel relased his first Fokker Dr1 model back in, what was it? 2001? Heading over to SWWISA and checking out his page and thinking "wow! I had no idea we could do that!" The difference between the paper cutout we had in the RBII and the living, moving model he made - complete with wires, a rotating engine, machine guns that were more than black rectangular lego blocks. My jaw hit the desk. The detail, at the time, was phenominal. And the best part - and this was the magic he brought to the community - he did it all without sacraficing FPS. You could fight a swarm of these high detail Fokkers and not drop a single frame. He really was a miracle worker. And a genuinely good guy. I enjoyed the few messages we exchanged before he passed.

I imagine he'd be incredibly pleased with OFF. In my own way, I see the Fokkers and Sopwiths buzzing around OFF as the grandchildren of those first Fokker and Sopwith models released seven or eight years ago (wow, has it really been that long already??).

S! Karel. I know you're loving the show! :salute:

The RAF 209 site brought back memories of the early years with gweet, droopsy, jeff bell, mater, etc. I like the embellishment of the early years in the story.. very cool...

Mechanic now resides in Georgia. I talked to him before i left florida in February.

OVS, that image would make a great t-shirt logo. I am sorry I missed out on some of the best RB experience apparently.

Trust us... you haven't... you only missed out on the cave carvings... ;) We're well beyond anything we could have produced with RB3D's technology...even with all the cool stuff they are still making today. It just doesn't compare to what OFF offers.

Yes, I know... Pat's WFP was the ultimate with all the great planes, and the longevity covering the entire war, but the only thing that slows us from doing that with OFF is time.

OvS

shredward

Yeah.... and don't ever forget... YOU'RE ONE OF THEM.. :) I couldn't have done it without you!

I just noticed this was still up over at James old HASP site. For anyone in the mood for some decent (I wouldn't call it great) reading about the devleopment of RB3D's mods over the years, I wrote a brief history of it and James was kind enough to host it. This was quite some time ago (2004 I think?) but I figured if we were on a reminiscence streak, it might be fun. :biggrin:

http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/history.htm

I remember that one from the Wikipedia article you wrote which was stupidly deleted by some other Wikipedia user. I always wanted to have that as an article for the Red Baron 3D section on Wings Of Honor. May I use that? I still have a copy of the Wikipedia version.

Cheers

I remember that one from the Wikipedia article you wrote which was stupidly deleted by some other Wikipedia user. I always wanted to have that as an article for the Red Baron 3D section on Wings Of Honor. May I use that? I still have a copy of the Wikipedia version.

Cheers

Wow, Gremlin. Absolutely! I had forgotten that Wings of Honor had that old article posted over there. Thanks for hanging on to it! It's not my best work, but I enjoyed writing that over Christmas break back in college. Yeah, I have no idea why Wikipedia took it down - I'm just very thankful that it's been preserved in a few places. Would have been a shame to just lose all of it.

S!

My confession :blush: : I'm still playing Rb3D-WFP, sorry Baron no HASP, why, I like that 1915 periode, flying these old bricks. Flying is just like chess you need to know the tactics, plane skills and limitations. If OFF3 is intruducing this periode I'm 100% on OFF3. :rolleyes: .

Specially for RB3 I have an old P4/98SE/Voodoo3/MS-FF/22"CRT machine. Do not have mercy for me :sorry: , for OFF3 I have a modern duel core machine.  :ok:

Still looking at some famous RB forums, but it is quiet, no RB movements. Maybe some nostalgie will be introduced in OOF, all the used planes look like copies from old RB plane patches.

Edited by Dutch_P47M

"Specially for RB3 I have an old P4/98SE/Voodoo3/MS-FF/22"CRT machine."

Hi Dutch,

Lucky you!

Since I upgraded my video card my RB3D display's gone completely up the swanny - it just sits there blinking away at me in lurid inverted colours! Great shame, because, like you, I really treasured WFP and enjoyed flying around in those old, fragile deathtraps...

Out of interest... what is a 'Homeboy?'.. is it the same as Homey?

Out of interest... what is a 'Homeboy?'.. is it the same as Homey?

There are several meanings I suppose depending on where you are from. If you are from New York City or San Francisco, I'm told it means you are a homo-sexual. I don't know that for sure but a guy once told me that (in a rather unpleasant manner). If you are from the south (US), as I am, it simply means you like to stay around your home (i.e., don't get out much). That's certainly the meaning I intended. My wife loves to travel and "see the world." Me, I like nothing better than to go out in my back woods, sit on a stump and smoke a good cigar. To me, that makes me a "homeboy."

I've been using this handle since about 1995 so I've heard most all the remarks by now. I figure if it ever starts bothering me, I'm losing my security in who I am. Sort of like that Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue."

What ever happened to Rens?

The only thing missing in those articles was the tremendous amount of work that went into the terrain mods that Kessler, me, and a few others worked on independently. I was in from the beginning and it was like working on a jig saw puzzle figuring out how the each terrain tile would be able to interlock with any other one with out showing seams, figuring out the horrible, limited palette which tended to leave glowing pixels in low light flying if anti aliasing was used during the tile painting process. How to get the different seasons to work together since they shared common tiles, etc., Besides the first early 2d terrain, I brought out the first set that had all four seasons, hence my early patch called 4-Seasons and the first with full winter snow. With Rens technical help I was also able to finally put the terrain tiles in the compressed game file that had before always been unaccessable and had previously required the files to be in slower loading, less stable folders.

I really don't know how I found time to work on all that back then.. the final achievement was really putting everything together in the OVS Hell's angels mega patch. He really was able to organize everything and everyone to pull together for one achievement and it was the most stable and easiest to install of all of them IMHO.

Yep.. been a long time

What ever happened to Rens?

The only thing missing in those articles was the tremendous amount of work that went into the terrain mods that Kessler, me, and a few others worked on independently. I was in from the beginning and it was like working on a jig saw puzzle figuring out how the each terrain tile would be able to interlock with any other one with out showing seams, figuring out the horrible, limited palette which tended to leave glowing pixels in low light flying if anti aliasing was used during the tile painting process. How to get the different seasons to work together since they shared common tiles, etc., Besides the first early 2d terrain, I brought out the first set that had all four seasons, hence my early patch called 4-Seasons and the first with full winter snow. With Rens technical help I was also able to finally put the terrain tiles in the compressed game file that had before always been unaccessable and had previously required the files to be in slower loading, less stable folders.

I really don't know how I found time to work on all that back then.. the final achievement was really putting everything together in the OVS Hell's angels mega patch. He really was able to organize everything and everyone to pull together for one achievement and it was the most stable and easiest to install of all of them IMHO.

Yep.. been a long time

I think I started writing up some history on terrain modeling, but I never finished it, a lot of RL crap interfered and it wound up lost. Truthfully, that history could have been a lot better - both stylistically and in terms of content. I barely scratched the surface, listed the major UOP's, talked about FM/DM and called it a day. I was hoping someone else would come along and add to it, but alas.

I still don't know how you guys find the time. You do a hell of a lot of work and manage jobs and families at the same time. :salute:

The RB days - In no particular order:

Von Tom

Flybert

Von Helsing

Rens

Karel Dooms

Wingstrut

Midnite Mike

Shredward

OVS

Capt.Solo

Jeff Bell

SonnyShade

US 95th (my old RB squad)

Wolfie

Gremlin

Cpt Sopwith (Think you had a different handle then? In high school I think too? LOL)

Heureaux

Iggie

Cpt.Darwin

Panama Red

Uhlan

Pat Wilson

Kess-The Promised Land/FMJ

CptRoyce (I put myself in ;>)

Ah....apologies to anyone I can't recall from those fun old days when games, PC's, and sims were just revving up :>)

As long as were reminiscing

Edited by cptroyce

Cpt Sopwith (Think you had a different handle then? In high school I think too? LOL)

In the old Delphi days you could alter your handle to include a nickname - I added in Prof, which a lot of folks called me, half jokingly because yes, I was in high school! RB saw me through HS and College, and OFF will keep me occupied during grad school (if grad school and my wonderful g/f weren't enough! lol).

I remember those names! I was very saddened to hear when Pat lost his wife earlier this year. It's a funny thing, these forums. We all come here for a common interest and we wind up forming "friendships" of sorts with the other members around us. Pat was always an all around great guy and it was so terrible to hear about his loss. You really form a bond with these guys.

Von Tom

Flybert

Von Helsing

Rens

Karel Dooms

Wingstrut

Midnite Mike

Shredward

OVS

Capt.Solo

Jeff Bell

SonnyShade

Wolfie

Gremlin

Heureaux

Iggie

Cpt.Darwin

Panama Red

Uhlan

Pat Wilson

Kess-The Promised Land/FMJ

Ah....apologies to anyone I can't recall from those fun old days when games, PC's, and sims were just revving up :>)

Thanks.

Von Tom

Flybert

Von Helsing

Rens

Karel Dooms

Wingstrut

Midnite Mike

Shredward

OVS

Capt.Solo

Jeff Bell

SonnyShade

Wolfie

Gremlin

Heureaux

Iggie

Cpt.Darwin

Panama Red

Uhlan

Pat Wilson

Kess-The Promised Land/FMJ = Tom Winters :dntknw: ?????? this was the goship

garp

DeltaK

Ishmeal

Beery

pepelepeu

steve fabert

Baron von Benz

Blackjack

Beck

Icky

Zsolt

Tymophil

Greybeard

Cameron Riley (aka art attack: famous Flanders Fields patch) allmost forgotten.

Salad Daze, Aceshigh, maj Skeeter, wwdemonfire who were always very helpful at the first RB2 Dynamix forum my biggest helpers in starting RB2. Still running the same JStick and Voodoo cart for RB, thanks guys for giving me all the advices It gave me a solid bases for playing RB. :good:

BARON VON HELTON still into RB improvements, my respect, old man, for doing this :ok: .

and all those guys who are still running a RB site and keep RB alive

Thanks.

Rabu, I used your 4-Seasons terrain set in every patch I used - from WFP to HASP to my "classic collection" from Beery, WingStrut, and Baron von Benz. A very big Salute to you, sir. :good:

Rabu, I used your 4-Seasons terrain set in every patch I used - from WFP to HASP to my "classic collection" from Beery, WingStrut, and Baron von Benz. A very big Salute to you, sir. :good:

Thank you, "Professor." :biggrin:

I made a lot of good friends back then from players who used my patches and Delphi RB forum members, lots of interesting discussions on early flight and the game itself.

It's too bad some were so caught up in their little sorority like "in" groups though, and the Delphi forum flames and rants got so ugly in the later years. I see a very different attitude with most of the OFF members here and although the occasional rants and the snubs are apparently going to continue by a few, it's most refreshing to have the OFF forum we have today.

I dug around some of my back up disks and found a few screen shots that bring back memories..

Here's a neat Hell's Angels screen with art work by Mark Miller OVS and I used on the On-The-Edge website.

Title.jpg

And, I used this announcement screen shot below years before that when I came out with my "full snow" patch before the 4-Seasons terrain patch. Looks pretty primitive compared to what we have today in OFF. :blush:

snow3d-2.jpg

Rabu, I do not know what you exactly mean about Delphi, I'm not a Englisch native speaker, but as I earlier mentioned here at this forumtopic, some forum members (not at this CAF-OFFforum) do not have the flysim game, they intent they have the game and after a while they are starting to troll, using different names, so the serious will go away. I had spotted one at the simouthouse who wanted to start. Thats whats happend allso at Delphi, some years ago. 

But admiting this forum is a nice place to speak old RB friends and OFF3 players, ik will hope it will stay friendly and helpfull like in the old RB Dynamix forum day's.   :ok:  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Rabu, I do not know what you exactly mean about Delphi, I'm not a Englisch native speaker, but as I earlier mentioned here at this forumtopic, some forum members (not at this CAF-OFFforum) do not have the flysim game, they intent they have the game and after a while they are starting to troll, using different names, so the serious will go away. I had spotted one at the simouthouse who wanted to start. Thats whats happend allso at Delphi, some years ago.

But admiting this forum is a nice place to speak old RB friends and OFF3 players, ik will hope it will stay friendly and helpfull like in the old RB Dynamix forum day's. :ok:

I hope it will too.

Thank you, "Professor." :biggrin:

Here's a neat Hell's Angels screen with art work by Mark Miller OVS and I used on the On-The-Edge website.

Title.jpg

Quite welcome Mate. Now there's a load screen I remember quite well! I looked at that one for quite some time! I can't remember which version that is... as I started flying the Resurrection patch exclusively in HASP for the last year or so that it was on my old computer.

I would still fire up RB3D every now and again but on my Vista gaming rig it just runs very unevenly. If I roll my aircraft, I zip up to warp speed as soon as sky is visible and back into the 30fps range once I'm looking at land. Padlocking also seems to speed things up irregularly. I can't seem to control it. It's not a steady increase - it's very erratic. Oh well, OFF beckons and as I've said, it feels very much like the grand old days of RBII to me - but only so much more than I ever imagined it could be!

Dutch- Thanks for adding those many other names that I can't imagine how I didn't recall,,

Rabu..How'd I miss you? !! Still recall a "flame war" between yourself and I think von Helton, that went on for days..used to have me "on the floor". von Helton could start a flame thread by just saying hello ;>)

Regards,

Royce

There are several meanings I suppose depending on where you are from. If you are from New York City or San Francisco, I'm told it means you are a homo-sexual. I don't know that for sure but a guy once told me that (in a rather unpleasant manner). If you are from the south (US), as I am, it simply means you like to stay around your home (i.e., don't get out much). That's certainly the meaning I intended. My wife loves to travel and "see the world." Me, I like nothing better than to go out in my back woods, sit on a stump and smoke a good cigar. To me, that makes me a "homeboy."

I've been using this handle since about 1995 so I've heard most all the remarks by now. I figure if it ever starts bothering me, I'm losing my security in who I am. Sort of like that Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue."

Thanks Homeboy for the great command card. I travel through Raleigh every week with my job(tractor-trailer truck driver). Glad to see someone else here enjoys a good cigar. Nothing better after a hard day's work or intense session of OFF combat than a good smoke to erase the stress. I especially enjoy Ashton VSG's after a nice ribeye and adult beverage, how about you? Sorry if I'm off-topic, but thanks again! Regards, Bill