Sign in to follow this  
CW3SF

Wll soon shoot my "kills" stealing wingmen

I am flying a Camel at 90 realistic with the 1.28a patch plus the Hard damage option.

Here is the deal My wingmen will NOT follow orders to regroup, help or attack. They have yet to hit a rail yard or airfield. In air to air action they can not hit a thing. But let me blast one of the enemy with 200-300 rounds and send him down in flames and they will swoop down and get one shot and the kill---- bummer. One even sent some shots into me as I followed the enemy to the ground "blocking" the wingman from a kill.

Any one else having this happen?

After 6 missions at 90 I have 6 confirmed kills and 4 more being looked at.

I think I'll go to the Luke AFB Air Show tomorrow.

Thanks for your thoughts. CW3SF

In workshop in player flight position select "always lead" rather tan "by rank". This how I am setup and have not seen that kind of aggravating behaviour.

I usually order my men to engage enemy fighters first. I know some people like the realism and don't use the TAC "BUT" I use it for this very purpose. Firstly, if your not already, take the lead as rickity said so you can order your wingmen about ( i don't know if you can anyway as a wingman yourself). Then next time you engage a group of fighters set your tac to aircraft and select an enemy and command your first two wing men to attack (they always go in pairs) then do it again for the other wingmen. That will keep them busy while you select one for yourself. Stick to shooting the one's you select for yourself first so as not to shoot down the wingmans targets or they will come back and target yours. Then when you have cleaned up your targets, go and help your wingmen.

I know using the TAC is a bit of a bummer but the wingman pinching your kills is a cfs3 hardcoded thing the guys can't change and this is the only way i know of on how to take control of the situation. I very rarely loose a kill to a wingman unless a different flight comes along that you have no control over.

The same goes with airfield and railattacks, select the target and order them to attack. If you watch them when you order them you'll seem them break off to go attack, this will happen with any order you give them whether it's an air attack or ground. They will eventually attack the ground target, but whereas you and i will dive straight in, they will fly away and make an attacking run from some direction well after you have done the job. I believe this is also a cfs3 hardcoded thing, i have seen them use there rockets (finally) but again it does take forever.

Hello,

apart from the setting "always lead", are you in the rank to give commandoes ? My wingmen did not listen until i was promoted ? Only an idea, there indeed seems to be something wrong sometimes - but i take it as it might be in reality, where other squadron members do not hear or see your helpless pilot gesticulating ... :haha:

Greetings,

Catfish

This is very different from my experience. I "always lead" and usually just give an Attack signal as soon as I see the enemy, and I've never really seen this behavior. My wingmen are pretty efficient, generally, in air combat. My last mission, for instance, had us jumped by three EA (we were three) and I took one and when I finished him, the other two were downed already by my wingmen. We were jumped again by five EA a bit later, and some were aces. I got two and ran out of ammo, and as I bugged out, my two wingmen were in a furball with the other three. Hope they came out all right! :smile:

Usually, they get a kill between them, and most of them survive unless the odds are 2 to 1, but they only once shot at me, and almost never attack my target (I've attacked theirs before when I've finished mine).

I've never gotten them to Regroup, really. They always seem to try to once the enemy are gone, but they're usually too far away before that for me to be able to call them back. I've never even tried to order Help.

But they do suck at attacking ground targets. Perhaps I'll have to try this TAC target trick.

Thanks for all of the good ideas. I am a sargent and that my be an issue. I always lead, but never use the TAC feature.

I'll use the tac feature next time out and see if that helps-- hate to shoot at my own men.

Just got back from the air show at Luke AFB here in Arizona. The F22 demo-flight was -- WOW!!!! That was is the most clearcut case of a total air surperiority fighter I have ever seen.

If nothing else, your wingmen are bullet soaks for your enemies. They will continue to duke it out while you run for the hills. If they help you to survive in this way, you will have the opportunity for hundreds of kills over the course of the war. Don't begrudge them a few stolen kills here and there :)

RR

that's kinda funny, because I PLAN around my wingies "pinching" my kills I've always sorta feared that they won't attack anything unless I'm attacking it. so the second they start attacking my target I go and look for something else. I've had a few AI wingies score multiple kills in a mission this way. granted, that sucks if I'm trying to be an ace--but right now I'm just trying to figure out how to stay alive.

but this wingman problem is definitely a hard-coded CFS3 thing. I would give an attack (in CFS3) and blow something up and 30 minutes later they'd lollygag on over and blow something up. the other factor seems to be that you HAVE to arrive at the designated attack waypoint. I always attack BEFORE I'm supposed to "locate and destroy". unless you're given that command by the game interface, it's quite likely that the AI wingies won't even acknowledge the presence of something to destroy. and, of course, using the TAC display is just about the only proven way of getting your AI wingies to attack ANYTHING.

I find my wingmen mostly useless except for the fact that they can take some of the heat off of me in the first few minutes of a dogfight. It seems the norm for most or all of them to be shot down in an engagement while I get what multiple kills I can and then run for it when out of ammo. Are they supposed to be this weak?

Which has now led me to adopt the policy of skipping ahead/advancing time past a mission where I'm given less than 3 wingmen. It helps a bit when the odds are at least even, but still almost always I return home alone. Because they're so incompetent I now feel no remorse in leaving them to their destruction. I often feel a bit like taking a few shots at them myself especially when two of them are going round and round with one enemy plane and can't seem to finish him off!

Just had that situation - wingman shooting at MY plane. You know, why?

I had pressed "help" - and that enemy in front of me was the only plane near!

So, better press "help" only, when there are really enemies BEHIND you. And then: turn,

cause otherwise, wing one MUST hit you accidently.

But the better way for me now: I order attack on a plane, and cover them. That way, I could

bring by far more wingies back home, AND made kills.

Ohhhhh, yes. I have experienced this, and didn't even ask for help. Was hammering a camel from only about 100 yards away and all of a sudden a bullet stream goes between my upper and lower wings and into the target, AND THEN ME as well. My own squad mate, slamming rounds into us both!! So I pull away and let him have this camel, there are others in the sky...I shoot up another camel, he is in his death throes and descending to within feet of the ground. As his final slide into oblivion begins, and right before impact, the same blighter swoops in and with a single shot ( I kid you not....a single "TAT" of his Spandaus) steals my kill!!! At this point my Ire was quite raised, I turned on another camel, was taking him out and then guess who appears between my victim and I, rising into my sights between me and my prey, Yup, same Jasta mate!! He starts firing into my quarry........its time for some squad discipline.....I unload two good bursts into the unruly friendly, he begins to smoke a little and pull away....I finish off the camel unmolested. Amusingly enough....I never had another issue with this happening again after this. Wasn't reprimanded either.

ZZ.

Olham, keep those overeager little squadmates in thier place!! :rofl:

Has anyone shot down a “friendly”? Are there any repercussions? 

didn't shoot him down.........was so ashamed after a burst or two, I went home in disgust....nobody yelled at me

I have accidently shot down a Dr.1 in Phase 2. I had, after a scramble, just developed speed by

downing the nose of my Albatros D V a little, and pulled up right behind a Camel. We went up so

steep, that we both came to a halt almost, but I sent him a brutal burst, that killed him actually.

The pain was: a Dr.1 flew right through it.

I hoped, he wasn't hurt too much, but when I approached the field for landing, I saw a Dr.1 ditch

down center field. And a blue line appeared: "you just shot down a Fokker Dr.1"

Oooops! I landed right after all the tents, and stole into the mess through the rear door (Lol!)

But: no punishment or anything upset from the Major.