Sign in to follow this  
EricJ

Low Level Flight Tutorial for WOX

Something I've been plugging away at for awhile now and seeing if there's anything missing.

In Adobe PDF format.

LLFWOX.zip

In the overall, it is an interesting introduction to low level flying.

It made me curious about such flying profile.

I particularly enjoyed to read your in game experience, it does provide a context to your point and make it less abstract.

However, the lack of punctuation, some long winded arrangement, or the way your are formulating them, sometimes make your ideas hard to follow.

There are also some concept that your evoked but didn't detailed. For example, the "notch technique" at page 16.

So I think that including more illustrations, ventilating your text and proofreading it a bit, would make your article more pleasant to read and so, more instructive.

Now, there's something that I'm not convinced about.

You said, page 10: " If however, you’re on a flat desert plain… Well fly as low as possible in order to prevent the missiles from firing at you. If you have a jammer, then turn it on and try to make it to the objective."

Doesn't jamming give up your rough position, at least telling away that there is a plane out there?

And wouldn't it be safer to turning your ECM on only when and if you are illuminated, not before?

Anyway, thanks for having taken the time to share your experience!

Interesting tips there - youve covered quite a lot and can see that its difficult to know how much detail you should go into before it ends up as a book :)

In the overall, it is an interesting introduction to low level flying.

It made me curious about such flying profile.

I particularly enjoyed to read your in game experience, it does provide a context to your point and make it less abstract.

However, the lack of punctuation, some long winded arrangement, or the way your are formulating them, sometimes make your ideas hard to follow.

There are also some concept that your evoked but didn't detailed. For example, the "notch technique" at page 16.

So I think that including more illustrations, ventilating your text and proofreading it a bit, would make your article more pleasant to read and so, more instructive.

Now, there's something that I'm not convinced about.

You said, page 10: " If however, you’re on a flat desert plain… Well fly as low as possible in order to prevent the missiles from firing at you. If you have a jammer, then turn it on and try to make it to the objective."

Doesn't jamming give up your rough position, at least telling away that there is a plane out there?

And wouldn't it be safer to turning your ECM on only when and if you are illuminated, not before?

Anyway, thanks for having taken the time to share your experience!

Well it's still not completed, and I didn't take the time to spell check it before. Yeah I tend to think somewhat abstractly, so I'll touch it up to improve it. That's one reason I uploaded it for review.

To a degree jamming does give away your position, in real life (not sure how the AI reacts to it) it does make it obvious. But when you skim the earth you are A) below the minimum engagement height (sans AAA) and the ECM further distracts. Not all jammers are so much as white noise, some are simply deceptive. Instead of one target, there's like three or four,and you have to play the shell game while being simultaneously jammed.