Sign in to follow this  
SGCSG1

Video of the original Red Baron - GUI is terrific

Why is it a 19 year old game can have a better interface than any other combat sim?

Check out the gui screens in that video. Beautiful art, the embossed buttons, easy to use, elegant. And two columns of options under 'Fly Single Mission' - fantastic.

Damn, this was a great game.

Dynamix sure knew how to make 'em! Like how 1994's Aces of the Deep is still the subsim to beat, even today.

It's still quite enjoyable and atmospheric. Especially the campaigns with all their offers of joining squadrons, news of the day, new aircraft. Maybe the FM is really old but it's still nice. Played it again only last year and it rocks. :good:

My first flysim was RB1, still have the origional disk, full of nice info about flying and WW1.

Later I went to RB2, the campaign mode is very good :ok:

Ok, this thread made me want to play this baby again! Works great using D-Fend frontend for Dosbox!  :ok: Surprisingly playable, even today.

In case anybody doesn't know;

D-Fend Reloaded; http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

Original Red Baron Map; http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.2334

Original Red Baron Manual; http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.2333

this thread made me want to play this baby again!

You too? Got 2 kills for my German campaign pilot already.

You too? Got 2 kills for my German campaign pilot already.

Hehe.. :biggrin:  

What I find even more surprising is that it recognized my modern gamepad controler. I use the triggers for views.  :good:

DOSbox can emulate many kinds of joysticks.

Why is it a 19 year old game can have a better interface than any other combat sim?

Check out the gui screens in that video. Beautiful art, the embossed buttons, easy to use, elegant. And two columns of options under 'Fly Single Mission' - fantastic.

Damn, this was a great game.

Original RB "is" really , really awesome...I say is because I still play it.

Wow, this takes me back... First time I even made a custom scheme for an airplane was in this game, on my first PC no less. Fantastic stuff!

I just played today ...great, great game. You can play it with dosbox 7.2 and download it for free.

Worth the effort ...even on an uber modern rig it rocks.

Hi guys! I've got a question. This DOSBox, will it help with RB3D as well? I played it for years until I got a new computer and haven't been able to get it to run right. I usually fly OFF but still enjoy RB3D immensely.

CJ

Hi guys! I've got a question. This DOSBox, will it help with RB3D as well? I played it for years until I got a new computer and haven't been able to get it to run right. I usually fly OFF but still enjoy RB3D immensely.

CJ

DOSBOx won't help, because RB3D is for Windows only (unless I missed something). I suggest doing a Google search, I already found a few pages about running RB3D on a modern machine with XP, Vista etc... I know there's something out there called virtual machine (or something like that) that will emulate Windows 98. You can also go buy yourself an old machine (for like 40$) and install Win95 on it. It might be worth it, just to be able to play all those old games. Just a word of warning if you do this, if I remember correctly, configuring those old DOS games in my Win95 machine was a pain in the $%&@. But since RB3D is for Win, setting it up shouldn't be a problem.

man this makes me want to fire up all the Dynamax games.

That was the thing I always loved about the old Dynamix flight sims...just up on a regular mission and you never knew if you'd come up against an ace!

I remember one mission in AotP flying in my F6F and merging head on with some Zero's...I fire a burst and watch the lead plane go down with a "You just shot down Saburo Sakai!" in the top of the screen! Awesome, especially as I know if I had to fight him directly it would've likely been the death of me!

AoE and both Red Barons had it as well, although the RB games also featured the little "you have been challenged to a duel by ..." missions.

CJ

Cameljockey, go to SimHq, Wing of Valor , wings of honour forums, or maybe the RBforum here.

I do not know if you running XP, but can allways give Google a try to get the "RB3d XP" search.