Sign in to follow this  
Bigfish2

My Cougar is unwell

My contribution to winning the war in my trusty Camel has ground to a halt. After 5 (or maybe more) years of replugging my TM Cougar gear in order to overcome the dreaded "Device detection error", that doesn't bring it back to life anymore and my Cougar remains undetected. I've re-installed the HOTAS Cougar software (HCO_2004.exe) on my PC, and installed it separately on wife's laptop, all the Human Interface Device stuff appears in "Control Panel/device manager" and Windows says my hardware is working correctly, but still the stick is undetected. As a last resort I have emailed The Master ie James "Nutty" Hallows, and await a reply.

My worst fear is that the circuit board has failed, and I have no idea (but fear the worst) about replacement parts.

Have any of you guys using Cougars met with this problem and solved it?

Or do I have to send my Hall-sensored and U2nxt-modded thing of beauty to the landfill?

Well this is kind of embarassing; 5 minutes after I posted, I plugged the Cougar in to the laptop "just to see" and got the "detected you have no flash" message ie the wretched thing was recognised after 3 days of being dead. So I reflashed it, moved it back to my PC, recalibrated it and everything is just fine. I think I'll just give it a smack to teach it a lesson. It's so idiosyncratic - if you've got one you'll know what I mean - it sometimes feels like it was built in 1917. End of this thread then?!

Well this is kind of embarassing; 5 minutes after I posted, I plugged the Cougar in to the laptop "just to see" and got the "detected you have no flash" message ie the wretched thing was recognised after 3 days of being dead. So I reflashed it, moved it back to my PC, recalibrated it and everything is just fine. I think I'll just give it a smack to teach it a lesson. It's so idiosyncratic - if you've got one you'll know what I mean - it sometimes feels like it was built in 1917. End of this thread then?!

Yep...Common problem. Believe it or not...not all mobo usb ports are created equal. I had the same type of problem about 1-1/2 yrs ago when I changed form CH to Cougar. I found that there was just enough voltage leak (milliamps) that the Cougar went dead, even one time borking the flash. Nutty came to my rescue with the usb check/troubleshooting. I eliminated that problem 100% by going to a powered hub with a built in regulated power supply. I run my Cougar, digital camera, CH Throttle Quad and my dedicated scanner off of it and have had zero problems since. It's also easier to unplug anything topside instead from the back or from down in front of the case.

Thanks almccoyjr, that's really useful - I'll try your suggestion of a powered USB hub. Can I ask what model you use, or are they all the same?

Thanks almccoyjr, that's really useful - I'll try your suggestion of a powered USB hub. Can I ask what model you use, or are they all the same?

I use APC #19500SG-1G. It's a little pricey due to the gold plated usb connectors, but it's been rock solid. Just make sure you plug the pc/hub cable into a port on the mobo that's marked usb and not just into a "blank" spare usb port.

Belkin has some nice ones as well and they seem to be every where. Another option is to get a hub that's power switchable internal/external and power it with a good adaptor. Power Stream is excellent. That way you can get whatever type of hub, 2-ort, 4-port, 7-port, that meets your needs and supply it cleanly. If you go that route, make sure you match the dc plug/post power requirements.

5yrs..WOW! Same gimbals? You obviously like your Cougar? Looking at upgrading with hall's? That's going to be my next major upgrade. I like the idea of being able to vary the stick's feel and stiffness electrically.

Many thanks for that info, I'll certainly instal one.

No, not the same gimbals!! I originally acquired the Cougar from James "Nutty" Hallows himself (aka The Master) who had already fitted Hall sensors to the stick. 5 years ago might be an underestimate - I got it just about as soon as they became available in the UK. I fitted a Hall sensor to the throttle a couple of years later (Cubby's kit) and then the U2nxt conversion a couple of years ago. I only realised how much I loved it when I thought it had died permanently! I notice Cubby is now doing a Hall kit for the pedals; so far my TM Elites seem to work fine although OFF is the first sim where they actually get a thrashing, so may be worth thinking about.

BTW I discovered a use for the exotic HOLDTRIM function in OFF - you can use it to trim out the tail-heavy Camel; I realise the Camel didn't have a trim control, so I rationalise it by supposing it simulates the mechanic shoving a few house-bricks up the front end..

The Cougar programmability is also extremely useful for mucking about with the stick sensitivity and response curve, and I've mapped "TIR recentre" to a throttle button so that just before letting rip with the gun I can take out any mis-aiming due to inadvertent head movement. Since I got my optician to make me a special pair of "OFF specs" I can now see "sideways" ie Red Baron on my six is no longer a blur!

I guess they don't have any of this fun with an X-box!

Regarding your Cougar setup...PLEASE put me in your will!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had to map TIR recenter; I haven't had to use it.

Instead of the CT, I uas a CH Throttle Quad, but I keep the CT plugged in so I don't have to go through resigning the drivers the the CT.

Using the CHTQ, I have buttons for Master Select: Manual or Automatic fuel/air Mix, Battery, Mags x 2, Prop Swing and Mixture Kill. One lever is for throttle with back=Idle, at detent and through travel being 2-0, up/down control. 3rd lever over is for mixture with back=Idle, at detent being 2/3 and then past that 75 steps for finer control up/down. I have the knbs removed on levers 2 and 4 so I know what I doing without having to look.

Go see OFF & TrackIR on pg13 of Genereal discussion. Aussie Pilot uploaded his settings showing how he eliminated head movement while targeting. I use my progressive modified for yaw, but I'm using Aussie's 2nd profile for pitch with a little faster movement up through dead-zone.

I just take my glasses OFF...haha

Yes, Cougar user here too. Well, I use it in conjunction with a Simcontrol Spitfire joystick.

Very useful tip re the powered hub. I normally have it plugged into the usb socket on the front of the case.

Several times i have to re connect. and flash etc. I thought that was due to the power settings of the computer, which i haven't messed with. But I'll try a hub.

cheers

Yes, Cougar user here too. Well, I use it in conjunction with a Simcontrol Spitfire joystick.

Very useful tip re the powered hub. I normally have it plugged into the usb socket on the front of the case.

Several times i have to re connect. and flash etc. I thought that was due to the power settings of the computer, which i haven't messed with. But I'll try a hub.

cheers

I googled Simcontrol and my jaw just hit the floor. How did you work the Cougar into that rig? The setup I saw had pedals, stick, throttle, and mixture/flaps/gear, or(?). The craftsmanship looked really good.

Put me in you will to....PLEASE.

I still have my TIR4 plugged into the pc; it doesn't seem to be "touchy" like the Cougar

I googled Simcontrol and my jaw just hit the floor. How did you work the Cougar into that rig? The setup I saw had pedals, stick, throttle, and mixture/flaps/gear, or(?). The craftsmanship looked really good.

Put me in you will to....PLEASE.

I still have my TIR4 plugged into the pc; it doesn't seem to be "touchy" like the Cougar

Yes, it is extremely good. Because it is very expensive - made to order -, and because i still wanted to use the buttons of the Cougar, I have a simpler version. ( My mate in Wiltshire has the full works- but he flies Spitfire sims almost exclusively )

It has only the main joystick - X and Y axis and rudders. I therefore use the Cougar for the throttle, and the buttons of the Cougar are fully functional using , of course, James Hallows' Foxy programming.

It is surprisingly compact used like that.

The spade stick is just sublime, on the WW l and WWll sims. I still have the Cougar X-Y stick handy on my right for the jet sims.

I figured on approaching retirement age , that you can't take it with you so I spent some of it! lol

Hi Fortiesboy, thanks for that very interesting post. I have for some time (ie about the time Falcon 4.0 became so faithfully accurate that 5 years of full-time pilot training was also necessary, but I still d/l FreeFalcon 5 and one day...) thought that actually an F16 replica side-stick isn't exactly ideal for flying Spits (Bob2) and now Camels. In fact now I've started flying campaign missions I find that my arm aches something terrible holding the sidestick for an hour or so, and I was contemplating just moving it into the middle on a sort of pedestal. However the best solution would obviously be to rip out all the buttons, and bung the Hall sensors down the pivot points of a proper length centre stick, which is I guess what you've done, and I congratulate you. I'm going to look into your link when I have a moment - btw I retired 2 years ago at the age of 55 but I just don't seem to have enough spare time now I don't have work distracting me!

I notice there's another thread running in"General Discussion" on "Joystick recommendations", and so far no-one seems to have recommended a Cougar. Not sure I could in all honesty, given the time and cash I've spent on it over the years, and its magnificent idiosyncracies (and why does the blessed thing lose its flash every so often, never mind its USB connection!?!). But how could I go back to a stick which you can't program to do anything you like? Some opinion in this thread seems to be against even using rudder pedals, which makes me wonder why Mr Sopwith hadn't the imagination to fit a twist grip to the Camel! One of the many nice things about OFF is that the FM seems very faithful to the literature in warranting hefty dollops of rudder, especially in the Camel, so at last my trusty old TM Elite pedals are getting a workout.

Hi Fortiesboy, thanks for that very interesting post. I have for some time (ie about the time Falcon 4.0 became so faithfully accurate that 5 years of full-time pilot training was also necessary, but I still d/l FreeFalcon 5 and one day...) thought that actually an F16 replica side-stick isn't exactly ideal for flying Spits (Bob2) and now Camels. In fact now I've started flying campaign missions I find that my arm aches something terrible holding the sidestick for an hour or so, and I was contemplating just moving it into the middle on a sort of pedestal. However the best solution would obviously be to rip out all the buttons, and bung the Hall sensors down the pivot points of a proper length centre stick, which is I guess what you've done, and I congratulate you. I'm going to look into your link when I have a moment - btw I retired 2 years ago at the age of 55 but I just don't seem to have enough spare time now I don't have work distracting me!

I notice there's another thread running in"General Discussion" on "Joystick recommendations", and so far no-one seems to have recommended a Cougar. Not sure I could in all honesty, given the time and cash I've spent on it over the years, and its magnificent idiosyncracies (and why does the blessed thing lose its flash every so often, never mind its USB connection!?!). But how could I go back to a stick which you can't program to do anything you like? Some opinion in this thread seems to be against even using rudder pedals, which makes me wonder why Mr Sopwith hadn't the imagination to fit a twist grip to the Camel! One of the many nice things about OFF is that the FM seems very faithful to the literature in warranting hefty dollops of rudder, especially in the Camel, so at last my trusty old TM Elite pedals are getting a workout.

Hello Bigfish

Yes, I keep returning and relearning falcon 4. the latest version i downloaded was Openfalcon, which is a one click install after installing the original F4 disc . It is good.

I feel the same re the Cougar- It does keep throwing a wobbly, but I too love the programming.

I found it a steep learning curve, and all it's features are still not used by me. But I wouldn't want to be without it.

If funds are available, the simcontrol is exquisite. The guys making it are from Devon UK and attend most flight sim shows where it is demoed.

Are you british? could you get to a flight sim show in UK?

cheers

Hi Fortiesboy, yes I live in Nottingham England. In fact the last flight sim gathering I attended was in Birmingham at the motorcycle museum - before it burned down - when it was my great privilege to meet up with James "The Master" Hallows, who I'd been emailing for some time, and acquire my Cougar, with his Hall sensor mod. I recall Oleg was there and at that time IL2 was of course the best thing since sliced bread. That has got to be over 5 years ago (time flies, maybe more), so I guess its about time I attended another! How would I find out?

Btw I suspect FreeFalcon5 is probably awesome. One day I hope to be able to afford to print the manual out! In a former life when I was a university administrator I used to have it downloaded to my PDA so at least I could read something improving in meetings!

Hi Bigfish.

The news re flight sim shows is generally found on the website of RC Simulations, of Bristol.

In fact, there is a show imminent at Cardiff on or around April 11th.

At this time i am intending to go, subject to weather, re the travelling.

Yes, I was at the show you mentioned. In fact, I saw Oleg and managed to get his autograph-

Falcon 4 was big at the show then , but we haven't seen it lately.

I too met James Hallows - a great, friendly guy- I've always regarded him as a genius to have made that Foxy stuff. And he is highly qualified in other spheres too.

Cheers

Fortiesboy, I'll check that out, many thanks. How many happy hours have I spent reading that unsung work of literary genius, the Foxy Manual.

In case this is of use to anyone similarly afflicted, since my Cougar went on sick leave a couple of weeks ago, and almccoyjr pointed out that "not all USB hubs are the same", as a temporary fix I shoved all my other USB devices (ie Track IR and mouse) into the front panel USB sockets and plugged only the Cougar, and nothing else, into one of the four back panel sockets leaving the rest empty. Front and back are connected to separate headers on the mobo. This seems (touch wood) to have fixed it without having to fork out for a powered USB hub. Incidentally (or possibly coincidentally, hard to know) this also seems to have fixed an intermittent issue in quick combat when there'd be no sound and limited control, suggesting some form of sound card conflict. If the problem recurs I'll have to lay out 14 quid on a powered hub. So thanks again chaps for your support and inspiration.