Sign in to follow this  
Ronbo

RB3D or OFF3

I also played RB3D untill i got OFF3. I think there are some pros and cons for both sims. One of the pros of RB3D, as I already mentioned in a different thread, is that you are the only on flying with your skin when you choose an individual painting. Of course, it's more realistic in RB3D that when an ace is shot down he is really dead. I also like the short movies when I get a medal or when something important in the war has happened.

But I like OFF3 more because the graphics are far better. In addition, I think the FM is far more realistic (of course I have never flown a WWI aircraft, so I could be wrong :biggrin: ).

OFF3 is just great sim! :ok:

they're both very good for what they are. if you get RB3D and use the Western Front Patch (in it's latest incarnation) it's still a fantastic game. however, the ONLY reason I don't play RB3D right now is because I just spent $60 on Over Flanders Fields.

sure, as a basic game design and the overall level of immersion, OFF beats RB3D handily in nearly every major category.

however, you can't ignore the fact that the Western Front Patch has historically accurate plane match-ups (something OFF is still a little fishy on in spots). it could allocate multiple types of aircraft to a single squadron (and for guys who like to fly German) that's an important detail--as MOST German squadrons had at least two or three types of aircraft on hand for the entirety of the war. I don't know if this is a hard-coded CFS3 issue--but the fact that the OFF squads are so homogenous was a bit of a disappointment for me. when KEK Vaux (Jasta 4) was established it actually had four different types of aircraft (one of which was a Pfalz E.I--read a German copy of the Morane Parasol!)

well, that and your personal skin was PERSONAL!

I must admit, that half the time when I play RB3d I use a specially altered home-brew patch that allows me to fly such things as the Rumpler C.I, AEG G.II, and the Farman F40.

all of this is to say that if you're comparing RB3D out of the box to OFF(v3) that it's absolutely NO CONTEST at all! OFF is better in every way. however, don't sell RB3D short, cuz the WFP is still a great game. I've played it for years, and will keep playing WFP2 in the future.

however, I believe that if OFF continues to be developed (and I'm positive that some of the guys who made the WFP are actually working for OFF now) that it will be much better than WFP too.

basically, OFF3 has the power to grow even more. RB3D does not. for me this is a bit unfair, however, cuz over a decade has elapsed since RB3D was created-- it's like expecting a P51 Mustang to compete evenly with an F86 Sabre. they were both great planes for their time--and the timeless attributes that made them both great airplanes continues to endure.

ah, nevermind me, I guess I just don't want people to dismiss RB3D for the simple reason of making OFF3 look better.

Well,

I have OFF 3 installed onto my 2nd harddrive for transfer later. Took about an hour or more, but its there. I checked it out before applying patch 1.28a since its the only one available. I saw a few changes in workshop.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to fully comment until i get an updated, powerful machine. I can see the menus, and with detail level at 1 across the board, I just dont have sound insim. The terrain is shades of Rb1 with nice detailed aircraft. I just dont have a sense of motion because of the lack of detail.

I tested Alb D2 and Fokker Dr1 and i need to get used to and remap keys so i know whats what. I like the Dr1, very rudder sensitive with slow ailerons, much like the descriptions of the Leamans book on the Dr1 from replica pilots.

So far, I really like the detail level available in the various menus for historical. the menu screens are very nice, music is nice.

I looked at the flight school manual. If this had been available to members of the delphi community, alot of bickering could have been avoided regarding how aircraft fly. Looks very well put together, tho i have not read it. I did not see a bibliography for the sources used, but a minor point since this isnt a term paper. ;o]

I will create a new thread in the future once i get my new machine and do a comparision, given time, of FE, RB3D and OFF.

Edited by Ronbo

I think comparing OFF to RB3d is a bit like comparing two different cheese's.. biologicaly they are the same (WW1 flight sims) but you may like one flavour or the other...or like many of us..both flavours!

The major difference is, that RB3d is old...very old as computer games go... I liked playing it, and was an avid fan..but it is past it's prime (still fun) but

I have moved to OFF exclusively now, and have done for a long time.

To really appreciate it's characteristics though, you cannot really play it on a machine of meadiocre horsepower..and to make it perfect on a PC takes a bit of tweaking, but the rewards are manyfold.

As I said earlier, you cannot really compare the two, because the gulf is too large.

A better comparison would be OFF and FE..but I couldn't comment on that comparison, without sounding totally Biased!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Glad you have received your copy of OFF, Ronbo!

OFF requires a fair amount of graphics tweaking before it looks good and runs smoothly. Make sure to read the sticky threads on configuring your graphic card for OFF. ATI cards are apparently more finicky than Nvidea cards. Be sure to use the correct recommendations for your card. To access the in-game settings, go to Workshop and click on the Graphics Config button. I'd show you, but for some reason, I can't get my computer to take a screen shot. One thing I can recommend is to be sure to click on File, Exit and not click on the red X in the right corner, or your changes won't take.

If you have stuttering problems, go to C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\default and modify your cfs3.xml file and change MaxFPS="0" to a higher value. If you have a weak machine, you should probably start out with a value between 25-35.

That should give you something to chew on before more people come on to give you more help. Good luck!