Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

OFF QC Lock-up

I recently received my copy of BHAH, and set aside some time on Sunday to install it. Had to dig out my CFS3 disks (deleted it long ago), but found them, reinstalled it then updated CFS3 to v3.1.

The installed BHAH (and updated it to v1.28), but - can't get it to go flying! I've created a pilot, and have been trying to test the sim with Quick Combat, but every time I select "go to field", I get as far as the pics of pilots walking out to their ac, then the screen goes black with just the "hourglass" mouse icon showing, and my system locks up. Only way out is a hard reboot.

Any ideas anyone? BTW I'm running XP on a 3GHz P4 with 1Gb of Ram, with a GeForce FX 5500 256Mb card.

Mike

Yep, what he said. At the very least, you might invest in one more stick of RAM. It is very cheap right now, and I don't think you will be very happy with OFF on just one GB of RAM.

Ive runn off3 on a pretty similar system.

how much of the cfs3config recommendations have you done? and what are your sliders set to?

if they are high,,i would set them all down, and try again..

http://www.overflandersfields.com/Tips.htm

Thanks SD,

My first thought on reading your message was "what sliders"? Then I found the CFS3 config utility, and after only one change - forcing it to run in 1024x768x32, my system's "native" mode - lo and behold, CFS3 worked! (It had been locking up too). Then I immediately tried BHAH again, but no, it still locks up.

That was last thing before going to bed last night - I had enough self-discipline _not_ to sit fiddling for another 2-3 hours. Walking to work this morning, two approaches occured to me, bearing in mind that BHAH "borrows" CFS3 config at start-up; either do a complete uninstall/reinstall of BHAH (bleh), or ask someone here what CFS3 file(s) BHAH borrows, and what they should be renamed/where they should go.

So.. does anyone here know what CFS3 file(s) BHAH borrows, and what they should be renamed/where they should go?

Thanks

Mike

The only time bhah "borrows" anything is when you are installing it....Once its installed it "borrows" NOTHING from the cfs3 intallation...

so,,to configure cfs3 you use the cfs3config in that intallation folder,,,to configure BHAH, you use the cfs3congig in your over flanders field directory.

I gotta feeling once you find the config file for BHAH, and using the recommendations in the url I sent you,,,as well as maybe tune down your sliders, you will be verry pleased with it. Ive played it on alot slower computers than what you have, and sure,,,i had to tone down secnery and terrain quite a bit, .. but it played great.

Yep. 1 gig of ram. You will have to turn the sliders down.

Yep, what he said. At the very least, you might invest in one more stick of RAM. It is very cheap right now, and I don't think you will be very happy with OFF on just one GB of RAM.

OK Chaps,

I've followed the advice & upgraded to 2Gb RAM. Still get same problem though, I get all the way to a black screen (with hourglass cursor) right after the picture of pilots walking out from the squadron office, then nothing else happens. I have left the system for half an hour and it remains in this state. Cursor does still move with the mouse, _unless_ I get frustrated and try to break in with alt-tab or ctrl-esc, then the cursor freezes. Ctrl-alt-del is ineffectual, doesn't get me into Task Manager.

So, any other suggestions please? Reading all the After Action Reports is making me very frustrated!

Thanks

Mike

PS For the record, my system is now: WinXP, DirectX 9.0c, 3GHz P4 with 2Gb of Ram, GeForce FX 5500 256Mb card.

Hi Mike,

You probably tried setting sliders on all 1's before starting the game? I know, fresh reinstall is a pain, but if nothing else works, I think it's best to go ahead and do it just to rule out a possible corruption. Other thing I'd suspect is your vidcard which is pretty ancient (no offense), and not gonna make OFF look good. If you have a friend you could borrow a better card from just to check...

Mike

In your first post you described how you dug out your CfS3 discs and installed and updated to 3.1.

OK so far, but I noticed you didn't say that you then ran CFS3 and flew a mission - You need to do this, only for a short while - 30 secs maybe- , otherwise when you then install OFF3 it won't work.

This flying of the mission in CFS3 puts some vital Cfs3 files in the registry.

So, it may be a good idea to go right back and uninstall everything, then re install ensuring the mission is flown after the 3.1 patch and before OFF 3 is installed.

If you do uninstall, do it thoroughly as per the FAQs at OverFlanderfield website

HTH

Mike

OK so far, but I noticed you didn't say that you then ran CFS3 and flew a mission - You need to do this, only for a short while - 30 secs maybe- , otherwise when you then install OFF3 it won't work.

This flying of the mission in CFS3 puts some vital Cfs3 files in the registry.

HTH

Mike,

Running a mission in CFS3 will also help you identify problems with your system that you'll have to resolve before you install OFF. CFS3 works fine as long as you tweak it a little. In my case, CFS3 was halted by my antivirus program. Once I had that problem solved, then I had to install an AMD dual core processor driver due to graphics jitters. It took me about an hour to get CFS3 running properly before I installed OFF (including the research I had to do online to identify known issues). Look at the FAQs at the bottom of this page http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/support.aspx or here http://www.combatfs.com/index.php?loc=tweak&page=index You don't have to perform all of the tweaks, of course. These two sources are included to help you get you headed in the right direction.

Cheers

Although the OFF code is superior in every way compared to CFS3, CFS3