Sign in to follow this  
Olham

They were boys...

This has been posted in the old forum before, but is worth to see again.

I like the play of the valves on the Albatros engine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-58SS77U84...feature=related

But, even when the real MvR appeared to look more mature - they still were rather boys

but men. Mick Mannocks face (in WomenFly2's thread) too: the face of a tall boy.

But, even when the real MvR appeared to look more mature - they still were rather boys

but men. Mick Mannocks face (in WomenFly2's thread) too: the face of a tall boy.

Olham: This flight seen looks really good, but I heard there was very little flight scenes in it and that the rest of the movie is really lousy? What's your opinion?

... I heard there was very little flight scenes in it and that the rest of the movie is really lousy?

After that fight scene, how bad could it be? And where can I get a copy? I looked all over Amazon.com. I found a poster for the film, but no DVD.

Just another Crap Flyboys!!

There's really not much more flying in there, and I think it is historicaly inaccurate.

The rest is a matter of taste - but I liked it better than Flyboys.

I have this flix "from a source that shall remain nameless", and it's ok. It a step above Flyboys or made a 1/2 step but it is better. There are 4 flight scenes in the movie they are as follows:

Scene 1 - The opening dogfight that introduces MvR and his 3 friends

Scene 2 - The dogfight above - it is the longest and best flight scene in the movie.

Scene 3 - A night dogfight between Jasta Von Ricthofen and a large formation of allied bombers.

Scene 4 - The full wing attack by the Ricthofen flying wing on the opening day of the German attack in the spring of 1918.

There are very brief scenes less then 10 sec in length in other places but those are all the dogfights of any real length.

The movie is highly inaccurate. It does get many things right but it takes a number of liberties that detract from it being a good movie. MvR go from a fresh faced dashing hero to a sullen disillusioned man. One of the most telling error was the casting of Til Schweiger as Werner Voss. If you've ever seen of picture of Voss he looks all of 16; very youthful. Til is great actor but badly cast in this role he's just to old. The movie really tries to show how the war changed the boys in man and really ground down the toughest warriors. It's worth a look if you can find it.

Well if anyone can point me to a better movie made in the last ten years with tons of accurate looking WW1 aircraft both on the ground and in the air, please don't hesitate to tell me about it. It's not very well directed, the script is pretty poor, the casting is generally bad but it still has a charismatic lead and lots and lots of footage of the planes, both in the air and on the ground. I particularly enjoyed all aerodrome scenes. If you like OFF, the era and the planes you owe yourself to watch it. You can find "historical inaccuracy" in any war movie and if you can't live with it, don't watch war movies. Especially not ones made in the last twenty years. And Red Baron is probably the only WW1 air war movie we are likely to get over the next ten years.

Edit:

. Edited by Geier

Agreed, Geier. I would never judge a movie by its accuracy alone. If you want accuracy, read a book or watch a ‘technical’ documentary like the Roaring Glory series. And some inaccuracies are worse than others. A movie romanticizing war by only showing the adventure, however factually accurate, is to my taste worse than a movie in which the planes don’t have accurate paintschemes. I watch movies for amusement, not for counting rivets. If the ‘atmosphere’ is gripping, then that is more important to me than accuracy. I have my weak spots too; in ‘Battle of Britain’ I find the Bf-109’s with Rolls-Royce engines very annoying. And I hated the Eindecker in Aces high. But I keep wondering why that is so important to me. I just received the Red Baron DVD and only looked at the extras so far. Tt seems a very entertaining movie. For me it is also important whether the movie pretends accuracy. In the strictly historical sense the director of Red Baron admits to taking liberties. Then I know what not to expect and am content with enjoying what I can expect.

Guy's I'm not saying don't see it. in fact I stated it worth a look. I enjoyed the movie as just that a movie. It's not history but it is enjoyable. What I don't want anyone to do is to go into see this expecting a history lesson on the WWI airwar. If you can grab a copy by all means do so. I still go back and watch the dogfights a couple of times a week. They look much better then the CGI fights in Flyboys. I wish my OFF DIII would manuvre like the ones in movie - sigh.

I too, intend on adding it to my collection as well. I just would like to know when I can get one and if they will be in english subtitles. Need to brush up on my german, so hearing them speak with subtitles dont bother me. much like das boot.

Only a handful of movies make it into the documentary and even they take liberties some times.

Regarding RR powered '109s in the BoB, not much they could do since, what, there may have only been one flyable at that time with a DB engine? It still gets the movie done and done well.

fwiw,

The movie is highly inaccurate. It does get many things right but it takes a number of liberties that detract from it being a good movie. MvR go from a fresh faced dashing hero to a sullen disillusioned man.

True, like watching Jasta 11 flying in Jasta 14's livery? That was annoying to say the least. The renderings were amazing, but as I said about Flyboys.... you're there, in front of the PC, making the models and skins... why not go the extra mile and make them correct? How hard would it have been to make Wolf fly in the half Mauve D.III, or Lothar in the dark brown factory finish.

No, they go and make the entire Jasta 14 ace paints and put Jasta 11 pilots in them, as if no one would notice.

Don't they know most of thier audience are WWI fanatics like us?

:clapping:

OvS

Maybe we should make a hollywood Rolls Royce DIII just for you then outcastt lol

Plus the aircraft all flew at F-18 speeds!

Ronbo:

They are speaking English in the movie so no worries there.

OvS:

I assume you're joking when you say that they make the most expensive movie in German film history for people like us? We're not very numerous y'know? :wink:

Ronbo:

OvS:

I assume you're joking when you say that they make the most expensive movie in German film history for people like us? We're not very numerous y'know? :wink:

Really? I was under the impression at the aerodrome that it was all in German, hence someone saying no english version? Hmm, may have to pick it up from, what, a european amazon dealer?

Of course they were just boys. Its always the young that are sacrificed for their country. Us old guys, for the most part get smart and dieing dont sound like such a hot idea,

The (Warner ?) movie was made with the German actors speaking English, to reach a world wide market.

Then the company decided, it wasn't interesting enough for the big market, and now, as far as I know, there

is only a German DVD available - the actors synchronized themselves in German. I think, it even has no

subtitles (thanks to Warner, or which studio ever!)

But someone above announced a download in English from an unknown source, if I read that right?

Huh? They overdubbed it from English to German? Craaazy. It was even filmed in English, as Olham said. There is definitely an English version out there, it's the one I have. But I just checked and Amazon doesn't carry it? Hrm, I can buy it at my local gas station for chrissakes. Here it is from a Swedish retail store: http://ginza.se/Product/Product.aspx?Identifier=314748 and also available on Blu-Ray. With English voices.

But if it's not even available on the US market I guess you could just go with what the net has to offer in its dark and seedy underbelly.

They were mere boys, a lot of them. Werner Voss was only 20 yrs, 6 months, and 10 days old when he was killed.

Mannock was actually considered 'old' for a fighter pilot in WWI and was 30, or maybe even 31 I think when he died. He actually comments on the age difference between himself and his comrades in several of his letters home.

I found The Red Baron movie to be very disappointing. Reading MVR letters and reports one gets the sense of a much more complex and contradictory character than was ever represented in the film which, rather disappoinitngly, opted to make him a rather simplistic poetic and Romantic figure.

Ronbo:

OvS:

Ask the populous who The Red Baron is... they will tell you some German guy named von Rickenbacker.

Ask the populous who Kurt Wolff was... they will tell you... I don't know, it is Peter Wolff's brother? Was he in a movie?

Movies based on little known history are for fanatics and historians, not the populous... that's what the Titanic was for.

And yes, at the speed those planes were flying (diving) at, they would have broken apart in seconds.

OvS

Alright. So at least now, after seeing this movie, they know who Kurt Wolff was and the name of The Red Baron. Movies are made mostly to make money. Expensive movies must make money.

But I digress. As I've stated numerous times, it's not a very good movie, maybe 4 out of 10. But as a WW1 aviation movie it's certainly a 7. You get a 5 just for making one these days. But I suppose some people would be happier if it hadn't been made at all. That's alright too.

If you watch it like this: - don't think, it's about MvR - imagine, it's just about any other Jasta -

then I'd say it's interesting to watch. The planes were modelled with a lot of detail.

Mostly, they seemed (to me) to fly right - the diving though, really, was insane, and physically impossible.

But still, I don't know any other movie showing a German Jasta and their planes in such detail.

Definitely a man's movie (like Titanic was a woman's movie).