Sign in to follow this  
Olham

They were boys...

Definitely a man's movie (like Titanic was a woman's movie).

Funny you mentioned that Olham. I invited the wife to watch it promising her that there was romance with a nurce involved. She left at about half way through. :dntknw:

If you watch it like this: - don't think, it's about MvR - imagine, it's just about any other Jasta -

I did, and I like the movie... I actual thought it was very good. You can't base the whole movie on just the flight scenes. The Blue Max had 100% better flight scenes, but the planes were all wrong, and you could see it was all fake and cut-scened to death. But we love it... meanwhile it was really an OK movie but not even true at that other than the atmosphere.

But RB, it was good as far as the acting, and the attempt at being correct... it's just that like I said, you're there... man... right there. Just a few more mouse clicks to skin the planes like they should have been. Just one more step, instead of trying to 'Hollywood' it to death. Bertram's D.III was in J30, not J11. It was a beautiful plane, but so was Wolff's, Allmenroder's, Krefft's... why replace them with J14's and J30's?

OvS

Friends,

I watched it knowing it might not be very accurate historically; and knowing it focused a lot on Manfred's personal life; but also looking forward to some WWI aerial combat scenes because there's just darn little of that in the movies these days. With that mindset, I enjoyed the movie and will watch it again.

Laughed when I saw a green-tailed Albatros marked Tod Von Oben! (The guy who popped the balloon with a flare pistol.) I started using a similar name several years ago when I joined an online group called The Green Tails flying RB3D. Just a coincidence that a close approximation ended up in a recent movie, I'm sure; but I got a grin out of it nonetheless. :biggrin:

Prost!

TvO

Edited by Todt Von Oben

in the old movies (blue max, 1.red baron movie,aces high...), they used completely wrong planes, but you won't find albatros and nieuports on every corner, so that's fine. but what i do not like are the fight sequences. the stunt pilots simply didn't dare to do anything daring, so IMHO there is never a impression one is fighting for his life. there are lot of bad cuts, changes of altitudes from very low to very high in each cut. smoke trails from below the fuselage, annoying STUKA-sounds when someone is out of control. but all that is fine, because one can see real planes and i like all the movies. IMHO the older the movie, the better the action sequences. maybe because there were real veterans in them. the fight scenes in hells angels are 200% more believeable and wow, than in any other movie, no additional sound effects, everything very genuine.

i didn't like the new red baron movie, because i looked forward all the years for someone making a movie about MvR, and then it was done, and the "material" completely wasted. what i like very much in the movie are the albatros scouts. this is the first time one can see the most beautiful scout of all times in action. CGI very well done, from the beauty aspect.

has anyone noticed that the guy who is playing udet, looks very much like the real MvR? he should have had the main role IMHO ;-).

in the old movies (blue max, 1.red baron movie,aces high...), they used completely wrong planes, but you won't find albatros and nieuports on every corner, so that's fine. but what i do not like are the fight sequences. the stunt pilots simply didn't dare to do anything daring, so IMHO there is never a impression one is fighting for his life.

In BM, the Pflaz, Dr.1 and D.VII's were hand built for the movie. The Pfalz is actually flying again, but it was written it was a mess after the movie was completed. They used the wrong varnish on the wood, and it warped to hell.

So if they built the above, they could have built the others. BUT... bugets, safety, etc, come into play. You don't need to jepordize lives for action scenes to that extent. They did not toss the planes about simply because they were flimzy, and not really rated for that type of action. Even though they appear in movies, they are still subject to FAA regulations, even under the experimental tag. In flyboys, the ground shots are filmed using scale versions of the N17.

In the 60's, the Tiger Moth was the plane of choice in most if not all WWI movies. It was durable, fast, and a sturdy easy flier. Much like the M48 tank seemed to be the German tank of choice of most WWII movies back then as well.

OvS

After these scenes, I really hope, that other movies will be made, using rendered aircraft.

In "Pearl Harbour", there is a great short scene from the channel theater, were a Spitfire

is hunting down a Bf 109 E. That was amazing, and since they seem to re-do almost any

old movie these days, I wish, they'd do a new "Battle of Britain".

Also, more stuff about WW1 air combat could be made - why not another, more accurate

film about MvR, or about Udet?

For tanks, I like that movie with Clint Eastwood and Telly Savallas (don't remember the title),

were they rob a bank with Nazi gold, somewere in France, with the help of a German Tiger.

Those Tigers, and the Shermans, looked like or were the real stuff, I'd say.

After these scenes, I really hope, that other movies will be made, using rendered aircraft.

In "Pearl Harbour", there is a great short scene from the channel theater, were a Spitfire

is hunting down a Bf 109 E. That was amazing, and since they seem to re-do almost any

Also, more stuff about WW1 air combat could be made - why not another, more accurate

For tanks, I like that movie with Clint Eastwood and Telly Savallas (don't remember the title),

were they rob a bank with Nazi gold, somewere in France, with the help of a German Tiger.

That was Kelly's Heroes. The 'Tiger' was a modified Soviet T34, much the same as they used in Saving Private Ryan. The Shermans were genuine.

Thanks, Siggi. Yes, "Kelly's Heroes", or "Stosstrupp Gold" in German. Remember seeing it twice

with my dad - he wanted to go in again; he liked it.

Here's the English trailer for "The Red Baron"

I've got Kelly's Heroes on DVD. A great flick. I liked Donald Sutherland's role as Oddball, the tank commander. Actually he probably would have been more at home in the Viet Nam era, but that's what made it so cool. Also, Clint Eastwood is one of my all time favorite actors. "Go ahead, make my day!"

CJ

Yes, Sutherland and Eastwood - great guys; came toghether again in "Space Cowboys" (right title?),

with the also great Tommy Lee Jones and James Garner.

Your new avatar is cute, CJ - your little boy must love it.

Yes, Sutherland and Eastwood - great guys; came toghether again in "Space Cowboys" (right title?),

with the also great Tommy Lee Jones and James Garner.

Your new avatar is cute, CJ - your little boy must love it.

He does. He's a Snoopy and The Red Baron fanatic. A regular WWI aviation lover. He's not quite 3, but he can pick Richthofen out of most group photos. He did see that Richthofen-Terminator picture when we were going through some screen shots and all he said was "Red Banner, Red Banner". It's probably because he's seen that particular picture a few times. He can visually ID the DVII, SPAD, DrI (especially the red one), the Camel (that's what Snoopy flies), and the Albatros. He likes to "fly" OFF. He flew around for about 10 minutes the other day before he piled it in. I put his pilot on invincible and he gets a kick out of crashing. I've got to teach him that crashing is not good. He just might be our youngest OFF fan!

Yep I've wasted alot of Sundays watching Clint Eastwood movie marathons on AMC, even though I own most of them on DVD. Kelly's Heroes is on once in a while. Two Mules for Sister Sarah and Joe Kidd were on this Sunday actually. Clint Eastwood is definately my favorite actor too CJ. But now we're way off track, lol.

-Rooster

OK, I just saw this last night and really enjoyed the flying/combat scenes. My roommate is a pilot for an major international parcel company and just got back from Asia. When he broke out the DVD case I was sure it wasn't going to play on my NTSC player but what a surprise when it worked AND in full Dolby Digital 5.1 english sound (no subtitles) and 2:35 widescreen!

The quality is excellent and it looks good on my 40" LCD Sony XBR and while the movie itself isn't going to win any awards, the flight scenes were awesome! He's flying out again soon so if anyone wants a USA NTSC copy of this, send me a PM and I'll get more info to you on a price.

That is new to me (and maybe others). So, the movie IS now available IN ENGLISH?

That is new to me (and maybe others). So, the movie IS now available IN ENGLISH?

Yes, if you don't mind the fact that certain asian countries have no respect for copyright laws, this is available in north american NTSC region 1, full english language, Dolby Digital, no subtitles, 2:40 widescreen, DVD case and cover, and excellent quality. I don't imagine it could be played on european PAL players unless yours supports the north american NTSC standard as well.

Not a bad product if you don't mind an asian knockoff! I'll be watching it again tonight. I missed some of the dialog the first time due to the excitement of the flying scenes. I've got 20 of these coming in on the next flight home so if anyone is interested, PM me for details as they are available.

The DVD's are on the way, boys! My roomie is flying home with them right now. I'll post a new topic with all info and a snapshot of the DVD case as soon as he gets here tomorrow or monday. Anyone who wants one can reply there or PM me for the final info/specs.

I've watched this 3 times already and it just gets better each time!

Well, I finally saw the movie on the internet site. One, looking at it from a movie standpoint, i give it a 3 of 5 stars. Flight scenes and adding in those famous qoutes and such from WW1 aviators was cool.

From a historic view, well, I wont even go there.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but Flyboys was better in that they used fake names, but copied thier real life stories.

I will still own a copy when available...