Sign in to follow this  
Womenfly2

The Morane Saulnier L Parasol .....

It's very frustrating for me to see things like this. I am an experienced (30+ years) metal fabricator/weldor/machinist and when I see this I say to myself "I can do that!"(the metal work anyway) I have never gotten with the right people to ever do it. I have made rudder and horizontal stabilizers for one of the local cropdusters who flies an AgCat, but that's about it as far as aviation goes.

I look at the tube frames for the DVII and the DrI and something like that is not difficult to make at all, just requires a knowledge of fabrication procedures. It's not a whole lot different than making booms for agricultural sprayers and irrigation systems.

I would love to get in on one of these projects because I think I would be a great asset. Know anyone in the SE USA?

CJ

It's very frustrating for me to see things like this. I am an experienced (30+ years) metal fabricator/weldor/machinist and when I see this I say to myself "I can do that!"(the metal work anyway) I have never gotten with the right people to ever do it. I have made rudder and horizontal stabilizers for one of the local cropdusters who flies an AgCat, but that's about it as far as aviation goes.

I look at the tube frames for the DVII and the DrI and something like that is not difficult to make at all, just requires a knowledge of fabrication procedures. It's not a whole lot different than making booms for agricultural sprayers and irrigation systems.

I would love to get in on one of these projects because I think I would be a great asset. Know anyone in the SE USA?

CJ

Got any tools left? I need a weather strip channel on the back of my '66 Nova Wagon I've been restoring for the past 3 years. ;)

OvS

WomenFly2 - interesting stuff, like always. And, although I'd like a D VIII as a new plane

in BHaH, I think, they should make a Morane Parasol first. Cause then, the Eindecker would

find a suitable opponent.

Camel, I can't help you much there, but what I would do, is "google" for:

WW1 aircraft replica, Georgia, North- and South Carolina, and Florida.

You could also contact WomenFly2 via PM - she is involved in such things,

being a mechanic herself, and she knows people who do that.

Also, she might give you the adress of Achim, a man who builds replicas,

too. But that's only for looking into his site - he works in Germany.

Edited by Olham

WomenFly2 - interesting stuff, like always. And, although I'd like a D VIII as a new plane

in BHaH, I think, they should make a Morane Parasol first. Cause then, the Eindecker would

find a suitable opponent.

WHAT ! .... What did you say! ... So that's how it is, see another pretty airframe and cast all others to the wind. It was the see through fabric that did it, wasn't it, ya, I know you.

......... Sie Schwein !

LOL,

WF2

Edited by Womenfly2

Got any tools left? I need a weather strip channel on the back of my '66 Nova Wagon I've been restoring for the past 3 years. ;)

OvS

Unfortunately, I have always worked for someone else. I have my hand tools etc, but no machine tools or welders. I had a weatherstrip channel problem on a '70 Fairlane 500 (pictured), fortunately I only had to patch it along the bottom of the back window. I took some 1/4 x 18ga steel strips and fashioned a channel and welded it all in with a 110v MIG welder with 75/25 mixed gas. I put 1/4" tacks about every 2" and when it was all tacked in I went back and filled it with lead filler. It turned out pretty nice and to my surprise, actually sealed. Maybe, instead of saving my money for a future computer upgrade, I'll put it toward a benchtop metal lathe and a DC welder, a TIG torch, and an oxy/acetylene rig. My '93 5.0 is started to get long in the tooth and will need some work soon so that might be my best bet.

BTW OvS. I sent you a pm awhile back about some books that I have and no longer need since I haven't owned a Chevy in over 30 years. Shoot me a PM.

CJ Sorry for the hijack! :blush2:

post-45778-1237931771_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link WF2. The pics of the making of the prop are way cool.

That Fairlane looks awesome CJ. Seems you've had alot of cool toys, with that Ford and your bike you posted at SoH. My neighbor is having some cars at his junkyard crushed next month and he said I could just have a '63 Mercury Comet I've had my eye on.I cant wait to get started on that (Im a body and paint tech). I'd like to see some pics of both OvS Nova and your 5.0 when theyre done. It's always nice to see your friends projects, even if you dont know them personally :good:

-Rooster

Great link! Many thanks! As I live in Holland I've sended that chap an email and maybe I'll take a look there. That engine......! As an old aircraft mechanic it is mouthwatering. When I can go there I'll make some pictures and will put them on the forum. Regards, hertzie

Great link! Many thanks! As I live in Holland I've sended that chap an email and maybe I'll take a look there. That engine......! As an old aircraft mechanic it is mouthwatering. When I can go there I'll make some pictures and will put them on the forum. Regards, hertzie

WooHoo ! That would be most appreciated hertzie ! I'm rather fond of the old girl.

And thanks for sharing WF2 you young whippersnapper you ! :whip: