Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Northrop/Horten F-79C Manta

Northrop/Horten F-79C Manta

Northrop/Horton F-79C "Manta" for SF/WoV/WoE and maybe WoI & SF2

For Post-Patch (9/08 & 10/08) Installs ONLY

A "What If..." aircraft for the early Cold War....

This is a mod of Pasko's Ho-229 into a "What If" aircraft for the immeadate Post-War/Cold War period of 1948-1955.

This is a complete aircraft mod, containing everything needed to just unzip and fly. Some weapons and, of course, a new pilot figure will need installing, but that's a pretty simple matter.

The skin, created from new 1024x1024 templates, is based off the original WW2 Luftwaffe one, and has completly redrawn panel and rivet lines. All new decals representing a ficitonal USAF unit, 54th FIW, are included for 38 aircraft. These are the standard 'buzz numbers' and serial numbers as seen on USAF aircraft of the time period. Period style lighting has been added; running and ID lights, and a landing light. The cockpit, while based off the A-4B, has been extensively edited to make use of the new coding in post-08-patches for the "OpenCockpit", as has the data ini. This allows the external model's canopy frame to work for us. If attempting to use in a pre-patch install, you'll need to make all sorts of adjustments, and even I don't remember them all. Suffice it to say, it's built for post patch -- keep it that way.

A new "WoE-style" hangar screen has been created for this aircraft. Also included are an illustrated Word doc and a pdf with the "What If..." historical notes. Damage tgas are here as well, just in case you happen to get shot up....

This mod is designed for use with, I'm hoping, ANY weapons pak. You may just need to add a few things. If you've already added the weapons provided from another mod or weapons pak, you need not add them again.

= IMPORTANT: This aircraft has been tested in Post-Patch SF/WoV/WoE/WoI. Be advised of the existence of some handling issues prevelant in WW2 era and many Pre-Patch (ie: 06 level) aircraft. Fly accordingly!!! It should also work in SF2 and later iterations - this has NOT been tested, however.

As always, unzip this to a temp folder somwhere, and you'll have access to the rest of the readme for it's instructions.

Good Hunting!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

(this should actually go under "Cold War Aircraft", but there isn't a category for Fictional/What Ifs in there ... so, here it is)

I read "War in the Air", a collection of stories by Stephen Coonts, and it's gotten me on a kinda sorta WWII kick. This should be very interesting to fly..

That's a cool book!!! Is that the one with the A.Conan Doyle story about the "jungles of the air?"

This bird (bat? fish?) would be very well placed in a 'prop cold war' scenario , 47-55 time frame

wrench

kevin stein

Erm... I think so... it has "The Long Flight", "The Runner", "The Professionals". At first I only read "The Runner", and ended up reading most of the book.

Very inventive Wrench! I took mine skiing...

USAFF-79Manta01.jpg

why do you think I left the guys feet sticking out??? :rofl:

If you've all read the historical doc, you see how I 'worked around that' :biggrin:

anybody notice the easter egg on the plane???

wrench

kevin stein

Hehe yeah :smile:. I took it for a spin and well.... didn't expect it to be that maneuverable, but still cool to fly, if not weird :smile:

@ Wrench - The pilot from the spiffing little Ajeet (GnatPilot) fits very nice, i.e. his legs do not stick out.

I'll have to check that out!!!

The guys keep complaing they're wearing out the heels and soles of the their boots on landing!!! :rofl:

what??? Nobody's caught the Easter Egg yet?? :search:

wrench

kevin stein

Nope, I checked it out when you first mentioned it... no joy.. any hints? can I call a lifeline?

nose gear doors

wrench

kevin stein

The Northrup/Horten logo?

That's I guess the logo used for the project correct?