Sign in to follow this  
Womenfly2

Canon de Guynemer ....

Cool article, Womenfly2. The cannon was an impressive idea but as mentioned there were engine problems with the design. That, and the fact that when Guynemer actually got to try out the weapon on an Albatros scout the recoil nearly tore the engine off it mounts and the fumes from the shell were poisonous and wafted right back into the Georges' face. He did blow the Alb to bits though.

Cheers!

Lou

He did blow the Alb to bits though.

Cheers!

Lou

I know ..... but how cool would that be !!!! The OFF team could do it so you would not know how long your engine would stay put.

LOL,

WF2

Edited by Womenfly2

Wow, pity it wasn't of a "blowback or semi-auto" type, or it might have worked with far less recoil, just like the one in the nose of the ME-109 ala-WWII. Being apparently a simple breechloader with fixed block type breech, (very similar to a breech-break shotgun) the recoil I'm sure was much-much more than was desirable!

ZZ.

actually, now that I think of it, the French also used the 37 mm gun on some Voison's and Farman's for ground attack missions. hint, hint! ;)

I think this was a great idea, but it was abanoned very quickly for reasons mentioned above

A simple breathing tube could have resolved the noxtious fumes issues

Who knows what direction WWI aviation would have taken if more efforts were taken here

Sure would be a great addition to OFF

Not only strappin' her on, but imagine running into Georges in your Albie!

Cheers,

Waldemar Kurtz, you mention the Voisins outfitted with the 37mm, and those were far more successful than the Spad attempt. Escadrille VC-110, (the 'C' designating "cannon"), was using them in the fall of 1915 for ground attacks with some fairly good results. The recoil was not an issue in that application and the gas discharged by the shell was dissipated much more quickly in the open front office of the Voisin. And I agree with both you and Duce Lewis, the 37mm WOULD be a nice addition to BHaH. Maybe in the next phase, eh what? (Nudge, nudge, know-what-I-mean, know-what-I-mean, say-no-more, say-no-more, wink's as good as a nod).

:wink:

Cheers!

Lou

Guest British_eh

Thanks so much WF2 for always coming up with new and interesting stuff.

Cheers,

British_eh

PS My son used to like flying one of the WW2 jets with a 20 round (?) Cannon

Vell, I can only repeat myself, again and again: if you vant zis distructive ant impressive

veapon power, zen djoin ze Kaiser's Jastas. Sign here!

Viss our twin gunz ant 1.000 - 1.100 roundz of ammunition, , you can literally saw der

enemy planez too piessez!

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!!

speaking of German guns-- I guess if you wanted some variety you could throw in the German GAST gun (which had a firing rate of 1600 rounds per minute from a double-barrelled gun arrangement). although it wasn't used in very large numbers, IIRC several aces in Jasta 5 experimented with them.