Sign in to follow this  

Yes, very drastic.

Shameful actually. To be honest it makes me quite angry.

same here, they knew it was good but a political reason destroyed it, so if we can`t have it, nobodywount have it. Why not put it in a museum?! .. so I hope we will fly soon a TSR2 in WOE

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

There are two surviving airframes.

XR220 at the RAF Museum in Cosford, Shropshire.

XR222 at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, in Cambridgeshire.

That's Harold Wilson and Dennis Healy for you. The Labour government that came in after Macmillan took it upon themselves to emasculate much of the British defence industry (see demise of RN fixed wing carriers). Granted, 60's Britain was a pretty austere place (despite the Beetles, etc.), but to destroy the likes of the TSR2.................

Then again, England did win the World Cup in '66, so the money went somewhere.

And Concorde survived.

CF-105 anyone? Its happened before... :(

I'm not even British, but the more I've learned about the TSR.2 program and it's very abrupt end, makes me sick. The amount of money wasted and then discarded when they chopped up the airframes. Allowing 219 to be used as a target on a bombing range? At least someone had enough sense to hang onto 220 and 222.

The Arrow is another case in stupid political interference.

The reason I never voted Labour amongst other things... as they screwed up the military and are still doing so today... I have seen the bird at RAF Duxford Museum and it looks like its straining at the leash just sat there... and as to what was said about the Jet as well by the test pilot its got a couple of issues but its a great jet to fly. And in my very humble opinion looks better than its nearest competitor at the time which was the F-111... As to the Arrow thats another great airplane that got shot down by the politico's to play nice...

Edited by PACMAN

Did Bongodriver ever finish his TSR2 model or did real life intervene?

Lazboy

too many good planes have ended that way... Aircraft development is too important to be left to politicians.

You would have to feel sorry for the developers who worked on this aircraft to see it come to such an end. After years of hard work, and it was all for nothing. Dang shame if you ask me.

Did they sue the government?