Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Original British Air Combat Report Form

In keeping with Dej's post about creating and using antique and vintage documents, here is a file I built some time ago and one that dovetails very nicely into the historically immersive side of BHaH. It is a cleaned-up jpg version of the original WW1 British "Combats in the Air" report form W.3348. You can use this in conjunction with your image editor of choice, and if you utilize one of the many old typewriter fonts that can be downloaded for free, you can fill out your own claim reports such as this one that I did for Nels Albertson's last mission, (he was recently promoted to Squadron Commander so it fell upon his Adjutant to fill out and sign the form).

RFC_report_NA3.jpg

Here is the link to the full-size blank document which you can download and use as you wish:

Original British Combat Air Report Form

Once you have typed up your reports you could also use some of the tricks Dej has outlined and "antique" your documents as well if you like. Also, I would imagine some of our Boche and French cohorts could lay hands on the proper historic documents for their flying services as well and share them with those who might like to use them.

Cheers!

Lou

That is waaaaaaay beyond cool!

Very nice! :good:

Excellent!

Thanks for putting this up Louvert. :salute:

Would be nice to see this format (and as you say it's German, French and American counterparts) in Phase 4.

tttiger, the point is not to try and copy one , but rather to have a clean and historically accurate form in electronic format that one can use to create his or her own air combat reports, if one chooses to do so.

But thanks for posting Roy's report on his famous encounter...very cool!

Cheers!

Lou

tttiger, the point is not to try and copy one , but rather to have a clean and historically accurate form in electronic format that one can use to create his or her own air combat reports, if one chooses to do so.

But thanks for posting Roy's report on his famous encounter...very cool!

Cheers!

Lou

LOL, well, I guess my point was about the style (not to copy the text...sheesh, of course I got your point): The wording doesn't have to be flowery and the typing can be atrocious (with over strikes) and hand-written corrections are allowed. The dog-eared corner makes it even better.

Looks more authentic than a "cleaned up" version :yes:

And I figured maybe a few folks never had seen this.

Aloha,

ttt

Edited by tttiger

He, he...excellent observations about mistyped words and overstrikes and written corrections and such. A few tea stains would help add to the authenticity as well tttiger. Heck, a beer spill or two would be even better. However, I have it on good authority that they refer to Commander Albertson's Adjutant as MISTER Anal Retentive. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but the narrative reads just like a report would be from one of our sim pilots.

No British colloquialisms, straight forward..would have imagined something else I guess..

Royce

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but the narrative reads just like a report would be from one of our sim pilots.

No British colloquialisms, straight forward..would have imagined something else I guess..

Royce

The (admittedly few) original combat reports I've seen didn't use much in the way of colloquailisms. For example, the Albert Ball original I posted an image of a while back. Altogether pretty 'dry' to be honest.

Maybe you had this in mind :biggrin: :

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Maybe you had this in mind :biggrin: :

One of my all time favourite Python skits! Right up there with the Cheese Shop.