Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Fork

Are Low Framerates Caused By Poor Sound Cards?

I'm finding that most of my low framerates are always related to sound. I'm running my machine with a SB Live Value PCI audio card (it's over 3 years old now).

How many of you that have low frame rates are using an Audigy 2 sound card with a decent system?

I'm finding that a lot of guys with high end systems using on-board sound, or older sound cards are getting low frame rates...

Thoughts?

My machine

--------------

Athlon 2500+ Barton

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Micron 1.0Gb DDR PC 2700 memory

MSI KT4V mobo

FSB 333MHz

SB Live Value sound card

CH Products gameport HOTAS

Edited by Mr.Fork

Only one way you'll ever know for certain. :)

Is there someone you know with a newer card who will let you plug it in as a test?

Mr. Fork,

I run

P4 2.4ghz

Radeon 9700 Pro 128

1Gig RAM@333

X45 Hotas

I've got the Audigy 2. I'm not as hard-core on the tweaks like some guys are but I've got it to hold at around 30fps for the most part. I can't say for sure what bearing the sound has had. I did however turn downt he acceleration in dxdiag.exe after reading some posts. I can't really say if its helped or not.

Ocassionally, after flying for a bit and having fun.. suddenly the game bogs down to exactly 3fps until I shut down and restart the game. Not sure what thats all about yet though.

I turned off sound hardware acceleration just to see if it made a difference for me, but didn't notice a change in FPS. I'm running a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (best. card. ever... ;) )

ABIT IS7-E

P4 2.4GHz 800fsb

2x 512DDR Kingston HyperX PC3200

Radeon 9800Pro 128

Creative SB Audigy LS

Saitek X36 HOTAS

Averaging 40-50 FPS before my card went south. I think I got the one lemon in the batch. I know it happens and right now not too critical to wait for warranty service (patch inboud to resolve most critical issues), Squadron still in "training" mode, stuff like that. BTW......this game ROCKS!!!

Edited by Growler67

To be specific, Mr.Fork, sound cards can indeed affect frame rate. Sound card settings can affect frame rate too. They can slow things down by gobbling up resources.

When I was looking for a sound card I chose Audigy over SB Live because what I read indicated that Audigy would use fewer resources. I don't know if it actually made a difference in FPS. I know it sounds good! :)

I tried tweaking sound card settings in LOMAC but did not see any change in FPS on my system either.

Good luck!

Quite a while back there was a lot of discussion as to whether an Audigy 2 used more resources than an Audigy. Might check around on the net to see what the latest is. As a gamer, your needs differ from those of an audiophile. You won't be disappointed in the sound, it's just a question of how much impact it might have on FPS.