Sign in to follow this  
Cameljockey

O/T WWI for IL2

Certainly looks quite interesting. I wonder what sort of PC will be needed to handle it? I presume if can handle IL2:1946, it would be able to handle the WWI version.

I'd be glad to have a crack at it, and very pleased never to hear my miserable co-pilots berating me for wandering off out of formation.

Cheers,

Si

Looks to me like a halfway-house between RB2 and OFF. Good luck to them and all that, but it does nada for me.

That's cool...looks to have a long way to go though...

That's cool...looks to have a long way to go though...

Looks like a good starting point. I like the amount of ground 'clutter'. Would be nice to have a few more quality sims to fly. :)

OvS

Looks like a good starting point. I like the amount of ground 'clutter'. Would be nice to have a few more quality sims to fly. :)

OvS

I think the vast majority of us here are more than happy with what we have got already!! :clapping:

Hi,

"OOF" ?! "Over Oleg's fields" ? :rofl:

While i would have liked that a few years ago i think the IL2 engine is a bit dated. I certainly still agree that there cannot be enough WW1 sims, but if i remember right there were some serious issues with the WW2 flight model and a WW1 sim when the Gennadich team first tried to program their WW1 "Knights of the sky" sim (now RoF) with the IL2 engine - as well Oleg Maddox forbade the team to use the IL2 engine, maybe because they wanted to make money with it ?

Now if this Oof is a free mod, why not - "Koa v. Deutschmark" is no beginner in the scene, let's wish them luck. :biggrin:

Greetings,

Catfish

I love some of the models they've got - chateaux for the chaps to live in, cathedrals for landmarks, ships of the Grand and High Seas Fleets - they've got some fun stuff going there!

Cheers,

shredward

Hi,

"OOF" ?! "Over Oleg's fields" ? :rofl:

Now if this Oof is a free mod, why not - "Koa v. Deutschmark" is no beginner in the scene, let's wish them luck. :biggrin:

Greetings,

Catfish

"OOF" I reckon is to be taken as a sign of respect.

I wish them luck. I particularly like the idea of a busy English Channel when I fly over it, assuming it'll feature on the maps they'll develop.

Over Oleg's Fields !!!!

Come on, I don't know about you chaps but what date is it tomorrow? :biggrin:

Over Oleg's Fields !!!!

Come on, I don't know about you chaps but what date is it tomorrow? :biggrin:

If you look at the opening post FB, it's dated Feb 14. Do you honestly think they'd be setting up an April Fool joke in February?

CJ

Variety is the spice of life!

CJ

Yep, can't disagree with that sentiment :good:

I might have missed it reading the thread but I asked the question anyway at the end.

What kind of campaign? DGEN? DCG? Just missions strung along one after the other?

IL2 1946 , with EnjoyR's massive add on is the final word on WW2 combat flight sim but for the WW1 stuff to get up to par they would have to make it part of DGEN or else it's just canned missions.

I don't see Starshoy around anymore on the SIMHQ boards so I am not even sure anyone is adding anything to DGEN these days....even then the OFF campaign manager is ridicoulous(in a GREAT way)....I am all for more stuff like this and applaud the work that looks very good but let's figure out the way we are going to play it etc.

Certainly looks quite interesting. I wonder what sort of PC will be needed to handle it? I presume if can handle IL2:1946, it would be able to handle the WWI version.

I'd be glad to have a crack at it, and very pleased never to hear my miserable co-pilots berating me for wandering off out of formation.

Cheers,

Si

I agree, I'm all for any enthusiast who wants to add a little WWI to their flight sims. The more the merrier.

In response to what you said, Yes, dear God I got so sick of my pilots screaming at me for leaving formation in IL2. Excuse me if I'm evading fire as a pack of 109's start shooting us up from 6 o'clock!

If you look at the opening post FB, it's dated Feb 14. Do you honestly think they'd be setting up an April Fool joke in February?

CJ

Depends on how much free time they have. You know forum people! :crazy:

A few points.

I'd really like to give this a go. A WWI sim on Il2 engine needed to be done a LOoooong time ago. So does a Korean war mod. It was already 90% done just stock. Considering my low end system, I'm really interested in it.

Those guys are doing great work, yet it really helps illustrate the superb visuals of OFF...skins, models, scenery et al.

It somewhat bewildered me that almost everyone on that thread acted like they'd never heard of OFF. Except CJ of course.

I read the complete thread and there were some comments I would have liked to have made, however, some of the guys there spoke about IL2 with such reverence and Microsoft was referred to as Microsock, i figured that discretion was the better part of valor and kept my mouth shut. I got the impression that the mere mention of CFS3 or OFF would have gotten me flamed in short order, so I just asked about a dynamic campaign and whether or not it was strictly MP. Still, IL2 engine or not, it ain't no BH&H by a looooong stretch.

CJ

Variety is the spice of life!

CJ

CJ:

I dare you to tell that to the wife :shok:

Tony

I'll holler it from down the street so I have an escape route! :grin:

CJ

CJ,

"Still, IL2 engine or not, it ain't no BH&H by a looooong stretch."

Well, to be fair, the screenshots shown didn't exactly look like the finished product, rather than WIP. You wouldn't judge the Sistine Chapel on the basis of Leonardo's etchings on the back of a fag packet now, would you?

I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to the engine/original producer - Microsoft have, let's face it, produced absolutely dreadful software in their time, CFS3 being an example. BH&H is what should have been from the word go.

Let's just wait and see...

:whistle2: Here we go with the CFS3 phobias again. We all know that CFS3 had a rod knockin' when it rolled off of the showroom floor, why bring that up again? BH&H is a total frame off restoration where everything has been replaced save the ashtray and rocker arm covers. No comparison whatsoever between the two.

Perhaps I should have said, "IL2 engine or not, it ain't no BH&H by a loooooong stretch, yet. Maybe then you wouldn't be so defensive. I just love how people take things out of context just to put heat into a discussion. BTW, I think I've been around flight sims long enough to be able to recognize when something is not finished, so you can give me a break there.

I said nothing derogatory about IL2 or OOF. Speaking of that, dontcha think they could have come up with something just a little more original, not to mention that the list of aircraft that are being worked on for OOF is almost verbatim the list of aircraft the folks here would like to see in OFF. ( http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...t=0&start=0 ) It looks to me like they want to compete with OFF, for whatever reason I know not. If that is the case, they better strap on their rocket boosters, because they've got a long way to go. This "mine's better than yours" garbage is totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things anyway.

All BS aside, if you look at the first post on this thread, it was I who initiated it and had nothing but positive comments.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

dawn_patrol_02.jpg

"Look chaps...you see...right here. They've set up shop and are attempting to create new and better flight sims as we speak!"

"And we...we don't want that...right?"

:biggrin:

It's all good, and with several groups competing to build bigger and better WWI aerial combat sims, we are the lot who ultimately wins. Also, remember that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Cheers!

Lou

I second that Lou! Things are great for us right now and look very good for the future too. How nice.

It is all good. I never implied that it wasn't. But if they want to be taken seriously, methinks they should consider a different name. When it is released, it will no doubt be on my hard drive (regardless of the name), along with OFF, RB3D and RoF, that is, if Gennadich decides to drop the log in requirement for SP.

I'm not against making new sims, that would be asinine and a total contradiction of what I consider myself, a flight sim enthusiast.

Besides, I've just been itching to fly an SS DIII or IV, and it looks like OOF is the only sim that I'll be able to do it in, in the foreseeable future.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

CJ,

"Perhaps I should have said, "IL2 engine or not, it ain't no BH&H by a loooooong stretch, yet. Maybe then you wouldn't be so defensive. I just love how people take things out of context just to put heat into a discussion."

I'm not being defensive of IL2, basically because I don't give a stuff as to the provenance of any software at all, and IL2 was a sim I could - and did - take or leave. My point was that we should simply wait and see what develops. If it's good, I'll snaffle a copy, if it isn't, then I won't.

"BTW, I think I've been around flight sims long enough to be able to recognize when something is not finished, so you can give me a break there."

Break duly given. My caveat remains relevant and intact.