Sign in to follow this  
Jammer28

Fateful encounters in history

I’m sure that most if not everybody in this forum knows how WWI started. A wrong turn by a driver in Sarajevo and a chance encounter with an assassin which had repercussions through to the end of the cold war.

What I did not know is that there was another chance encounter during WWI that could have kept WWII from occurring. It took place in September 1918. 

Follow the link to read the story. I found it fascinating. 

http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/tandey.htm

Jammer28, the story of Henry Tandey is indeed one of those amazing quirks of fate. I have read numerous accounts of this over the years and they all seem to indicate that the event did happen. Definitely a very large WHAT IF ?

BTW, you have linked to one of my top sources for online WWI research. It is a fantastic site.

Cheers!

Lou

How diarrhoea inspiring that moment must have been when he realised the full import all those years later. I hope he got a chance in heaven to go back and pull that trigger. God rest his soul.