Sign in to follow this  
Luiz Carlos

I have my @$$ kicked!

C´mon , I will really need to adapt to this ww1 machines because I have been beated so hard countless times, and I´m only in QC until now.

Well, I only have 1 hour of flight time tomorrow night (took eleven days to mail arrives), let´s see if I adapt or things will became worse with time. :biggrin:

Maybe my flying skills have deteriorated a bit because I´m using a saitek rudder for the first time in years and I´m still struggling to adapt with it too...

Excuses,excuses,I need them to heal my smashed ego... :rofl:

Don't let it get to you Luis. I started flying OFF Phase 2 in July of '07 and BH&H since shortly after it was released. I consider myself a pretty decent sim pilot but have had my butt handed to me on a platter on several occasions. It's humbling to say the least. The most recent episode is still clear in my memory. I was on a mission the other day flying a DVII with three in tow, flying high cover (about 1500 ft above) when six SPAD XIIIs attacked the rest of the flight. I had visions of me screaming down from on high and vanquishing the enemy. I had the advantage and the superior aircraft, but my delusions of granduer were soon dashed. No sooner than I got one of the SPADs in my sights and was squeezing the trigger, I was caught in a blistering crossfire from two SPADs below me. Never got a shot off. There was an explosion, and some fire, so I cut the engine and put it in a dive. Thankfully the fire went out, however, the fire from behind was still hot! They blasted me all the way down. To add insult to injury they even shot me up when I was on the ground!

Sometimes the AI in BH&H will humiliate even the best pilots, but I love it!

CJ

DITTO!

It's an exciting change to have AI that can actually fight. :yes:

Cheers!

Lou

Yes, Luiz, butt-handing-to is a regular occurrence in OFF. But what a treat to have AI like Cameljockey describes. Sometimes we fuss a little about the behavior of AI near the ground. I can tell you that sometimes I'm counting on that little AI glitch just to come out alive. Such a concern becomes niggling when stacked against the kind of battle Cameljockey just described where it is difficult to distinguish between AI and quite human. We've come a very long way!

C´mon , I will really need to adapt to this ww1 machines because I have been beated so hard countless times, and I´m only in QC until now.

Well, I only have 1 hour of flight time tomorrow night (took eleven days to mail arrives), let´s see if I adapt or things will became worse with time. :biggrin:

Maybe my flying skills have deteriorated a bit because I´m using a saitek rudder for the first time in years and I´m still struggling to adapt with it too...

Excuses,excuses,I need them to heal my smashed ego... :rofl:

hahaha...Welcome to the club.

I've "flown" one campaign mission and lost a wingman a that. We barely made it back to aerodrome.

I'm back in QC "relearning" because I don't have wep, a choice of guns, speed brakes, good acceleration, sidewinders, amrams, jadams, dopplar, afterburners, data cartridges, awacs, fly-by-wire(digital) or all the technologies that can help a pilot be better.

Despite being "pretty good" in RB, Flying Corps and RB3D, this sim REALLY pushes it and makes you want to be better at flying by the seat of your pants. I feel like I've accomplished something when I can see the bullets hitting. Much more intense than painting, locking up and fox-2.

Hello,

yes, welcome to the club lol. But i must say i never had so much fun getting my a$$ kicked :haha:

Greetings,

Catfish

Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve. I most noticed my lack of flying skill when I tried to go back to flying the ETO modded original CFS3. I was jerking my plane all over the sky, still used to the large amount of input that was required with OFF. I imagine this would be true coming into OFF from another sim where the aircraft were more sensitive. Don't give up on the rudder pedals. It's the best way to fly this sim.

At first I couldn't keep a pilot alive more than a few missions. Now I have a pretty good feel for what's required here.

Here's some tips for when you get into a campaign.

1. Check behind you.

2. Skip any campaign sorties where you have less than 3 in your flight.

3. Check behind you.

4. Get very close before firing.

5. Learn some ACM. Just turning isn't going to work.

6. Did I mention, check behind you... often.

Keep at it old boy! It'll soon seem second nature.