Sign in to follow this  
sgha

Hello Everyone

Hello chaps.

Had the original OFF download but did not play it much, my PC not up to the strain. Now I have monster rig and huge screen, and the BHH CD has just arrived, so I thought I would see how it has got on, and after a couple of false starts got it running, and .... wow! I have it on all settings at 4, and it is only a little stuttery low down and fine a little higher. Looks, georgeous and I love that RB3D campaign feel.

Well done to the devs, I can see this was a labour of love, even if they did have to go commercial. So far I have just been experimenting, getting my controls set up, etc

A question - on the rotary engines, I landed the N11 on my first trip by just cutting the fuel supply and gliding in, but this does not I think quite emulate the behaviour of a blip switch since the response on restarting is slow - anyone already figured this out? Is there some control option I have missed?

A comment re AA - this bothered me about the first OFF version as it essentially seemed to use WW2 AA guns modeled in CFS3 and was much too accurate and powerful. The first time I took an aeroplane anywhere near the lines today, the first couple of sighting rounds were exactly on my altitude, (do not know exactly what that was, as the horrible old Halberstadt has no altimeter, but looked about 10,000ft). So I retreated to my side then turned and headed over no-mans-land again. Bang crash - into a spin, lots of warning messages, black out, death. This in Sep 1916 mind. Was I just unlucky, or is the AA still a little strong?

Anyway I can see this is going to use up a lot of time.....

Greetings sqha,

Glad you have BHaH up and running, it is a GREAT combat flight sim. To your blip switch question: What I have done is set up one of the buttons on my joystick with a toggle function between '1' and '0'. This allows me to "blip" between idle and full throttle. Works very well.

Cheers!

Lou

Greetings sqha,

Glad you have BHaH up and running, it is a GREAT combat flight sim. To your blip switch question: What I have done is set up one of the buttons on my joystick with a toggle function between '1' and '0'. This allows me to "blip" between idle and full throttle. Works very well.

Cheers!

Lou

Aha - yes that seems very obvious now that you point it out! Obviously I am too exhausted by my excitement to think clearly.

Thanks!

Think this is the best simulation of a Blip Switch you're likely to find

In controls.. . assign 10% Throttle to F10, and 100% Throttle to F11

As to the lack of an altimeter ....... Hit ( Z ). That's where those immersion killing HUD gauges get their info

OR

If you otherwise like the haberstat, You could Bring the HUD up ( F5 ) Cycle the gauges one by one away, leaving the Altimeter. Which you drag into a corner, then grab the printed part of the HUD by the LEFT edge. You can then slide it anywhere, even off screen

Hi uncleal

Actually I hate the Halb, it is a pig, but it what you get as a noob at that time in the war in early Jastas. (That is odd, there is no emoticon for showing sadness or dissatisfaction on this forum - I suppose that is one way of keeping dissent to a minimum :blink: ). I just mentioned it as part of my question about the AA effectiveness. Put another way, is there an editable file somewhere in the bowels of BHH which determines the AA effectiveness, through, for instance, a random error when it shoots? Not that I am saying the current setting is incorrect, far too little experience to be sure, just that one direct hit in about 3 minutes over the lines looks a trifle unlucky when the actual loss rate to AA per sortie in the whole of WW1 was something less than a fraction of 1%.

Thanks for the suggestions - actually I do not want a horrible HUD, never use these things, not being snotty about realism, actually I find having any text on my screen when I am flying a terrible distraction, breaks the 3D illusion. I will try having buttons set at 0 and 100% or some such, although this is not quite right as a blip switch does not put the engine into idle, it actually turns it off, but this may be close enough.

(That is odd, there is no emoticon for showing sadness or dissatisfaction on this forum - I suppose that is one way of keeping dissent to a minimum :blink: ).

Oh yes!..We don't do Sadness or Dissatisfaction here old boy!...That was Sim Outhouse!

Here, we are all happy people!!! :biggrin: :yes:

Welcome to the forum matey!

Wouldn't toggling the magneto have the same effect? I'm asking because I don't mess with them. Take the fire and the engine dies, put it back before it quits spinning and it fires. Sounds reasonable to me.

CJ

Went to the game and got my own answer. Disregard my previous post.

CJ

Oh yes!..We don't do Sadness or Dissatisfaction here old boy!...That was Sim Outhouse! Here, we are all happy people!!!

Beavis + Butthead style:

Oh yes! Huh!Huh! Huh! So happy!!! Just got shreddered by S.E.5 aces, but I'm happy, it was only a "game". Happyyy!!! Huh! Huh!

aren't aircraft with blimp switch simulating it by itself if simply throttle back to 10% in BHAH? or is it just the sound?

The blip switch can be modelled with the magneto on/off commands: SHIFT +M to switch off (first time it will take 3 pokes), CTRL + M to switch back on. If you are too slow switching back on the engine will die, and you will have to restart it (historically, holding the blip switch down for too long would allow fuel to accumulate in the engine, and risk a fire as unburnt fuel caught fire as it was ejected under the cowling via the exhaust valves). If you are diving or you are coming in to land you could switch off the fuel supply instead - once switched back on (there was an on/off fuel stopcock, modelled in OFF but I forget which command it is) the windmilling of the prop would start the engine again. I have the magneto mapped to a pair of buttons on my stick.

Bletchley

The blip switch can be modelled with the magneto on/off commands: SHIFT +M to switch off (first time it will take 3 pokes), CTRL + M to switch back on. If you are too slow switching back on the engine will die, and you will have to restart it (historically, holding the blip switch down for too long would allow fuel to accumulate in the engine, and risk a fire as unburnt fuel caught fire as it was ejected under the cowling via the exhaust valves). If you are diving or you are coming in to land you could switch off the fuel supply instead - once switched back on (there was an on/off fuel stopcock, modelled in OFF but I forget which command it is) the windmilling of the prop would start the engine again. I have the magneto mapped to a pair of buttons on my stick.

Bletchley

I have tried the other ideas but I like this one the best, thank you - gives a nice quick response. To turn off fuel for a long decent I just set the fuel mixture to max lean - always cuts the engine so far! Max rich when you want to restart. I did not know there was another command for this.

Now all I need to do is hire a teenage boy to program my stick so that I can use one button as a toggle rather than two - I tried to do something like that myself once and found the instructions completely incomprehensible.