Sign in to follow this  
TheStig

Campaign Idea for Early Cold War

Campaign Idea on the Berlin Crisis

I had a small yet creative revelation on creating a great campaign that would contribute to a Cold War gone hot for WOE fans like me and a very realistic & alternate era of the Berlin Crisis. The setting is on the stock Germany map with aircraft from the mid-to-late 1940s, post WWII. I'll put a summary below along with aircraft ideas.

Campaign Era & Length - June 1948- December 1949

Name: The Berlin Crisis & Escalation

Aircraft will be a transition between the end of World War II and the start of the Cold War. However availability for aircraft gets rarer as they get older, but here is the idea:

USA

C-54 Skymaster (Cargo Plane for Berlin Airlift)

F-4U Corsair Variants

P-47N Thunderbolt

P-51D/F-51D Mustang

P-61 Black Widow

B-29 Superfortress

F-80 Shooting Star

Germany (A What-If Idea that the Luftwaffe is in Remnants but still capable of defense)

Heinkel He-111

Junkers JU-87

Junkers JU-88

Messerschmitt BF-109

Messerschmitt BF-110

Messerschmitt ME262

Messerschmitt ME163 'Komet'

Focke Wolfe FW-190A

Dornier DO-24 (Cargo Plane)

Britain

Avro Lancaster

De Havilland Mosquito

Gloster Meteor

Hawker Fury/Sea Fury

Hawker Tempest

Short Sterling

Supermarine Spitfire (Latest Version)

Westland Whirlwind

Soviet Union

Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik

Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail

Lavochkin LA-11

Lavochkin LA-5

Mikoyan-Guervich MIG-3

Mikoyan-Guervich MIG-9 Fargo

Tupolev TU-4 Bull

Yakovlev YAK-9 Frank

Yakovlev YAK-15 Feather

Campaign Premise:

In May 1948 the Soviet Union imposed a heavy blockade against the west, cutting off East Berlin from any allied support. As a response to this, President Truman dispatched C-54s to support citizens of the East known as the Berlin Airlift.

As Stalin grows infuriated that his concept of forcing rule over Berlin using starvation as his weapon flails, he orders interception of the C-54s. As Germany struggles to fend off the Soviet interdiction with remnants of its army and the Luftwaffe, Truman responds by sending the Strategic Air Command and Marines to deter aggression by targeting Soviet bases and incursions into West Germany.

With the Soviets now nuclear capable, Stalin threatens to insitute a nuclear response on any invasion of territory for deterrence escalating European forces to DEFCON-III status.

Flyable Aircraft - Any non-Soviet aircraft above should be made flyable to add to the fun factor of possibly a 50+ sortie campaign. Fly your own war; it's your decision to escalate this into a nuclear exchange.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

If its after WW2 id nix the Sterling and the Whirlwind from the British line up... the Sterling was retired from active ops in 42-43.... adn the Whirlwind only equipped 2 squadrons and was replaced by Typhoons in 43...

apart from that i LOVE the whole idea... sounds like its gonna be a blast

Edited by Dreamstar

If its after WW2 id nix the Sterling and the Whirlwind from the British line up... the Sterling was retired from active ops in 42-43.... adn the Whirlwind only equipped 2 squadrons and was replaced by Typhoons in 43...

apart from that i LOVE the wholw idea... sounds like its gonna be a blast

Crap. I should read more air warfare and WWII books more. I considered the Typhoon, but given the criticism of it being an intercepter, I opted out of it since I am looking for a concept of covering C-54s during the airlift missions. However, used as an attack and CAS aircraft, it would be awesome!

I have also decided to leave out the B-36 Peacemaker in this since the aircraft had numerous problems and was not active until 1951.

I have an entire install devoted to JUST that very idea; it was discussed a couple of years ago...so, have some knowledge and experience in the mattter...

You've forgotten the RAF Vampires. And you could add the Washington B.1 (available here IIRC)

USAF F-84s, F-86A ... all operational at the time. And the D model Jugs, operation unitl early 48

Czech S-92 and S-99s; you could even stretch the "what if..." to the original Su-9(1947). Yak 3, 3RD, Pe-2, etc.

I'd leave the Luftwaffe out of it, unless ememgeny requiped with NATO aircraft (<cough>--Spit Mk9 or Spit 22 <cough> -as in alredy done by me) -- pretty much all the WW2 stuff they had was destroyed at war's end. Same goes for groun equipment.

we are, of course, missing the C-54s and P-61s, but the F-82s can be used for your night fighters, as well as Beaus (unless you want to build an NF Mossie from the FB.6 .....)

Definately need to step up the research, and most DEFINATLY watch out and/or be VERY carefull of permission issues on some aircraft!!!

wrench

kevin stein

I did extensive research on the Berlin Airlift for my Master's, I can be of some historical help if you wish.

You will want to add the Vampire to the RAF, and while the "fun factor" of flying as the Germans is interesting, you might look at adding the small at the time, but effective French Air Force instead, as they were occupiers of Germany and flew missions during the Airlift.

The MiG-15 was in Service at this time.

The LA-15 would be only in the tail end of this scenario and in very small numbers

LA-5 Was pretty much only in Service with the Czechs at this time.

It would be great to see some of the Soviet A/C that were not anywhere near as successful as the MiG-15 like the MiG-9 and Yak-15 though that were in service around this time in small numbers.

Also, Truman wouldn't have to deploy "Marines", as the Allied Occupation Armies were still there in force, and Germany wouldn't be fending off anything, as the blockade was in the Soviet occupied zone. Remember at this time Germany, East or West, was not a sovereign nation, but under control of the Allies, May 23rd 1949 is when West Germany was "Created" but they still didn't have sovereignty or were allowed to have a military until 1954.

I could go in to a mass of detail about this, but the Celtics are on

For the Luftwaffe, I will leave out all the gemran types, and recover the Kevin (Wrench ) Spits, Mig-3 for the soviets is not a very good idea as I'm pretty sure the type is useless. Also As Kevin said, early jets will be needed too.

For the Luftwaffe, I will leave out all the gemran types, and recover the Kevin (Wrench ) Spits, Mig-3 for the soviets is not a very good idea as I'm pretty sure the type is useless. Also As Kevin said, early jets will be needed too.

Well The IL-2 Was also only in use by Bulgaria, the Czechs, and the Poles at this time too (the Poles withdrew them in '49 or Early '50)

The Corsair should not be included, because the Navy/Marines have no role in this fight. The P-47s were only in the National Guard at this time, and pretty much on the way out, and since you really haven't described any need for CAS, the likelihood of sending obsolete P-47s to fight air battles is very slim.

I would leave Atomic warfare out, Who are you (as the Allies) going to target with these weapons on this map? East German cities that have no control over their Soviet occupiers? Polish cities full of Polish citizens who have no control over the Soviets?

3 Years after the end of WW2, the Allies were not going to allow Germans to fly combat aircraft, and in reality if you get down to it, the Berlin Airlift was about keeping the Allied soldiers there supplied, not helping the Germans, and keeping West Berlin in the Western Allies hands so that the Soviets didn't gain more influence.

After reading that the Luftwaffe was disbanded in 1946, I am removing the aircraft for this scenario. I was going to snap some teaser pics of F-51s intercepting a Tu-4 bomber formation but I kept getting gunned down by the B-20 20mm cannons on thsoe things. I literally had 2 wings blown off trying to fly in between the formation balls to the walls... :rofl:

The Corsair should not be included, because the Navy/Marines have no role in this fight.

what of the Aero Navale??? They'd be operating theirs in that time frame.

I'm with JW on the Jugs...Mustangs can do the CAS just fine, and are already in-theatre, along with F-84A/B/C

It's a well known and well discussed fact that bomber gunnners are WAYYYY overmodeled.

I'd leave the MiG-3 out, as it really wasn't that good, even the VVS was disappointed with it.

wrench

kevin stein

Lot of prop planes... it might actually work. Something different than SWOTL2, with real mass-produced, and used planes. I think there's gonna be a new Vampire in WOI Addon (was there a pic somewhere @TW?), but it's a long way, we have 3rd party.

IIRC Poland was using Il-10 at that time, not Il-2, but must check that.

And no, please, no nukes.

<br />what of the Aero Navale??? They'd be operating theirs in that time frame.

True, I was talking more about the US, The French should definitely be included, considering they had troops occupying both Berlin and and West Germany and flew Airlift missions, and the amount of French air power was so small at the time, no doubt they would have sent their naval air arm to land bases to bolster the forces if shooting started.

To follow up on what CA_Stary said, the Poles had the Il-2 but was used in a training role and retired in 1949. Just speculating, but I'm not sure at this point that the Poles or Czechs could realistically be counted on to help the Soviets, with air power anyways.

Just curious, why Spits for the Germans? Seems to me with the US production output at the end of the war and their surplus it would make more sense for the Luftwaffe to be flying P-51s and the like.

Well, when I did the GAF Mk.9, it was to fullfill Galland's wish... :wink: (it's on my site somewhere, along with the Spit22)

But definately, Mustangs would be the way to go.

As to the czechs, look at my post above: S-92 and & S-99s

wrench

kevin stein

In my Korea install I have added armor to all planes (excepting B-29s and my IL-2 used as IL-10, where I have reduced the armor. It was too über for me), and shortened the range of all turret mounted guns to 500 m. This have helped a lot to reduce the effectiveness of bomber gunners and the combats are way more realistic. Before this, a flight of 4 B-29s could shot down 8 or more MiGs with no problem without losses (they started to fire from 2000m or so), and a single 50 cal bullet could shot down a Corsair or MIG-15. No more!

Some RAF aircraft you could add

De Havilland Mosquito NF series

De Havilland Hornet F3 FR 4

Bristol Beaufighter

Gloster /Armstrong whitworth Meteor NF

MiG-3 was out of service by 1942, maybe some left way behind the front in 1943.

More here, alot more, a bit much perhaps ~> http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/index.html

A more gentle introduction, Misfit Migs by Jason Long ~> http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2072/mig.html

BUTT -- you might could fantasize your campaign with prototype "Super MiG-3s" like I-224 or I-225. These are not MiG-3s, but designed for the same role. Need a modder to make them though.

More about them here ~> http://wp.scn.ru/mig_okb/planes-exp-i224 ... engines never were fully developed though.

In 1948-1949 the German Military was completely disbanded. It wouldn't be rearmed until about a decade later, so you may want to nix the Luftwaffe given the scenario. :yes:

I believe the French AF was flying Corsairs and late model P38's at the time.

Also, the East Bloc system was just being put into place so the contribution of future PACT countries would be pretty minimum.

You may want to look into Lex Luthors A-Bomb effects pack as both sides would probably use their stockpiles early given the existing nuclear doctrines, although chances are good that they would be used on strategic targets outside the scope of the scenario.

Looking forward to this.

Effective immediately, I have begun working on this campaign. I am thinking of inserting a small taskgroup in the North Sea to add some Naval ops to this scenario.

This will make the use of USN Corsairs in this. I would like to use the F4U-4 and F4U-5s in this. Especially F4U-5Ns for a little night fun and 20mm loose-cannons. What other jet aircraft did the navy have in 1948?

Guest a10boar
Effective immediately, I have begun working on this campaign. I am thinking of inserting a small taskgroup in the North Sea to add some Naval ops to this scenario.

This will make the use of USN Corsairs in this. I would like to use the F4U-4 and F4U-5s in this. Especially F4U-5Ns for a little night fun and 20mm loose-cannons. What other jet aircraft did the navy have in 1948?

AD-1 Skyraider (Still at China Lake I think?),F5F w/rockets and F9F Panter VF-61 Jolly Rogers (in Silver Scheme) :good:

Edited by a10boar

F5F??

wanna try again??? never went into production

MAYBE F8F Bearcats, FH-1 Phantom, possibly F2H-1 Banshee (1947, IIRC), AD-1/2 Skyraider, AJ-1 Savage (from the Midway class CVBs -approx 1949, however) and POSSIBLY F7F Tigercats -- both Navy and Marine Air used them, expecially the NightFigher version by the USMC

wrench

kevin stein

The scenario and map don't really bode well for naval operations.

how true, what with the non=existence of the Soviet Navy (aside from a few "fishing trawlers" :wink: )

But the NF Tigercats might be deployed for "interdiction after dark" as well as night patorls (like in Korea), along with flare equipped Invaders (again, like Korea)

wrench

kevin stein

Guest a10boar
The scenario and map don't really bode well for naval operations.

Navy never takes off of land? :blink:

It's fictious campaign ideas.Don't really care if F5F never went in production. :wink: Next i fly a campaign i'll make sure i'll ask you two if it's ok to fly any aircraft in what scernerio because,i wounld not want to be wrong.After all,that makes me dumb and stupid if i do the wrong thing by my peers.You feel better?

Navy never takes off of land? :blink:

It's fictious campaign ideas.Don't really care if F5F never went in production. :wink: Next i fly a campaign i'll make sure i'll ask you two if it's ok to fly any aircraft in what scernerio because,i wounld not want to be wrong.After all,that makes me dumb and stupid if i do the wrong thing by my peers.You feel better?

Give it a rest dude, we(Wrench and I) are the last people that give a damn about things like that. We were not insulting you, or calling you dumb and stupid, we were just talking about stuff, weird how that works, isn't it?

Sensitive much?