Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT to the boy's of 138 & 161 sqdn

Those of you who read and commented on the story of my dad's experience in SOE during WW2, may be interested to note, that I found another snippet of info from my dad's 'box of bit's' that he left me.

It's just a little mention of the Lysander Pilot's of the aforementioned sqdn's, whom were known as 'The Bod Droppers'

(The Lysander was a very good aeroplane to use, as it could land on very short, rough airstrips / fields)

These brave crews often risked their lives flying unarmed aircraft to and from Occupied Europe, to drop off and pick up agent's.

My dad was never picked up I assume, as he said he never landed in an aircraft until after the war, but it's interesting to note that he mentioned them in a diary entry.

A bit more research shows that in total, these guys picked up 128 agents, and dropped off 101 others from August 1941 to the War's end.

But, as with a lot of clandestine mission's of this type, rarely get a mention. (So I thought I would mention them publicly, as they deserve it.)

S!

also of note, is that 75% of what SOE got up to in WW2 will never be known..as the records were destroyed in a 'Mystery fire' in the 1950's!..hmmmmm

go figure! :wink:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

My admiration and respect for those men, who fought Fashism alone,

or with only a handful of comrades.

Most of all soldiers, they had to fight the enemy AND their own fears.

They were heroes, as much as a man can be a heroe.

So I'd like to contribute a link to an interesting website, and a picture.

http://www.bredow-web.de/RAF_Museum/Westla...d_lysander.html

Cool link Olham.. To a remarkably ugly aeroplane!

There's so much more in that site. All the British airforce, and Luftwaffe museums etc.

And the Lysander may look ugly to us, but maybe their pilots saw that different.

Pilots are more practical people, I'd say, and find a plane beautiful, whe it behaves

beutiful. Right, WomenFly2?

Cool link Olham.. To a remarkably ugly aeroplane!

ahh, but as you so admirably pointed out UKW, it's what you do with it that counts, not what it looks like :wink:

ahh, but as you so admirably pointed out UKW, it's what you do with it that counts, not what it looks like :wink:

Yes..and Four Million Birds would now ALL about that!..woof woof