Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Three books....

I've picked up these three books since January. F-15 Eagle Engaged, Smoke Trails, and Grumman F-14 Tomcat Bye - Bye, Baby...!

Anyone have any of these books? And are they any good?

Viggen, you probably know about this, but just in case you didn't; What I do is type in google '*name of book* amazon' and read the reviews. In fact, before buying any books now I do this first. You know what they say about opinions... but still, it can give you a rough idea if a book sucks or not.

All three of your books scored very high reviews  :good: (although only one person reviewed Smoke Trails).

http://www.amazon.com/F-15-Eagle-Engaged-s...n/dp/1846031699 

http://www.amazon.com/Grumman-F-14-Tomcat-...s/dp/0760325766

http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Trails-Last-Ph...x/dp/1857802624

Got them all and they all rock!

Eagle Engaged was written by Steve Davies and Doug Didley. Col. Dildey (Ret.) was my Vice OG Commander at Eglin, so he knows the Eagle.

Smoke Trails is done by Jamie Hunter. He's pretty large in the aviation photojournalist world. I work through him on some photo submissions for a few magazines. Great guy!

Lastly, Tomcat Bye-Bye, Baby is written more as a series of testimonies of former F-14 crews. It's an interesting insight as to the feelings of the guys/girls and their jet.

How's that for a review?

-S

That's great. I'm reading Tomcat right now. It really is interesting.

BTW, ST0RM, I saw some of your photos on a site about the 102nd FW. Nice shots!

...Bye-Bye, Baby! is an awesome book. Lots of great anecdotes from F-14 aircrew and outstanding photos. If you're a Tomcat fan, you should own it.

Edited by gbnavy61

I bought Eagle Engaged cuz it has several pictures of "my" birds from my days in USAF.

Page 72 closest to bottom of the page. Tail# 6069 550th Silver Eagles. 405th TFTW Luke AFB.

Thats one of mine.

(still got the squadron sticker on the case of my Stratocaster)

Its been over 20 yrs and I stll remember all the tail numbers.

Oh yea, Its also a fantastic book on the history of the F-15.

EagleCharlie

Edited by Echarlie

BTW, ST0RM, I saw some of your photos on a site about the 102nd FW. Nice shots!

Thanks Vig.

Ken Middleton had a pretty tight relationship with the Otis guys, so when the jets stopped through here on the way to AMARG, I had the camera ready. I sent him some of my shots for his site.

BTW, 77-0102 was one of the two jets that first responded to the Twin Towers. Shame it wasn't preserved.

Jeff