Sign in to follow this  
Sledge

Callsign Origins

I thought it would be a real hoot if we all tell how we selected, or were givin the callsigns we use here and in the various gaming lobbies.

I guess I'll start. I was in a band back in the '80s. At that time "U-2" was pretty huge, and the guitar player of that band called himself "The Edge". We thought it would be funny to have monikers too. Of course, they had to rhyme with "Edge". Since I was the drummer, and loved to play really loud, I became "The Sledge". Thats how I decided to use "Sledge" here. When LOMAC came out, ubi.com was the only place to play online till Hyperlobby supported it. I tried to register as "Sledge" but it was already taken, so since I am Potawatomi and Creek indian I registered as "Indin" there. And now you know.... the rest of the story! Good day! - Sledge out.

i don't remember when i selected the callsign

but i selected cause in English "Nesher" mean Eagle

and i fly like the great eagle, and when i'll get old, i'll probably be bald :lol:

after i registered a few forums and checked out a few sites

i also discovered that israel "built" a jet with the callsign Nesher (IAI Nesher/Dagger)

Edited by Nesher

PG=Pursuit Group, my first online squad. At the time, I was big on the F-22, and I thought Raptor was cool, so, wahlah.

Dagger actually was given to me by the leader of a clan i was in while playing a different game...said i was sneaky and fast on the strike like a Dagger.so that became it.i just carried it over to flight sims

All right!!! - I flipped the wrong switch one time too many (only once!)

and I won`t say which one!

I`m sure Cretin will try to answer it for me! ;)

Edited by switch

Color me unoriginal, but its my name.

If I had to have one though, it'd probably be Mule. Just irritates me when folks automatically assume my name is Samuel, when its just Sam. Really, check the certificate. Anyway, it ain't nice to call someone something with Mule in it, lol.

A while ago (junior year english) I was talking to my friends animated movies, and we taked about how how great Toy Story was, and when I said, "Reach for the skies!" my pals, were like great you really could be a Cowboy, and thus CowboyTodd was born, the 41 is for my favorite band at the time Sum 41. Yeah I know, shut up Snapple.

When I first got online with my 14K dialup in '97 it was just after I acquired my midlife crisis toy, a 70 Cuda440. I was in carchat rooms 90% of the time and I've been Cudaguy since then. Being lazy I haven't felt the need to change it. If I ever sell it I might be "WishIhadtheCudabackguy"

LOL!! :lol:

Edited by Cudaguy

Hmm I've had a few callsigns.

Used to be NBC_Tranceaddict for Rogue Spear (Natural Born Chillers + I am a Trance addict... that clan died shortly after conception).

Then It became CSA_Tranceaddict. I was playin RS and GR with this redneck online frequently, and he was a real nut job of a southerner... hence the CSA.

Snapple2993 is basically my universal... Snapple for my nickname in Junior High, 29 and 93 are for my two favorite hockey players; #29 Felix "The Cat" Potvin, and #93 Doug "Killer" aka "Novacaine Man" Gilmour.

I also used Sundowner while in VF143, cause VF111 was my dad's squadron for his 8 1/2 year stint in the Navy.

Oh and Cowboy, C'mon man, Sum41??? Canadian Pseudo Skater Punk, whats next? Avril Lavine? :D

Down with Cheesy 3 cord new wave Punk! :angry:

I just made mine up :) Something different I guess

I was an first class Aviation Ordnanceman in the Navy,hence the "ordy",and my last squadron was HCS-5 Firehawks. I was also the SELRES LPO for the waepons shop.So, firehawkordy :D :D :P B)

Oh and Cowboy, C'mon man, Sum41??? Canadian Pseudo Skater Punk, whats next? Avril Lavine? :D

Down with Cheesy 3 cord new wave Punk! :angry:

Dude didn't I tell you not to go there?

Well, switch kept saying, "You cretin!", so I figured that "Cretin" must be my callsign. :lol:

Dont get me started on Sum 41.

My kid was playing some video about growing up in the '70s.

It was stuck in my small brain all day today :angry:

Actually it's better than most stuff I've heard.

Ya I guess Sum 41 is better than "50 cents", oh sorry... "fitty cent", I just heard some song about a "Milk Shake" anyway all I got out of it is that the chick singing it is a prostitute... I think.

God I hate Pop... especially American pop! What the hell are you parents doing out there, letting your children listen to that garbage?

You'd swear popular music today was only about kids rebelling against nothing, or being a Slutty Virgin, or "I gots mo cash den U cause U boughts my CD".... oh yeah and that Emo crap... which is just a bunch of whinny panzies that have some how jumped from the coffee house into the radio... I demand sensorship!

It's like living through 80's music... but sh*ttier :(

May god bring back Morrissey and Cindy Lauper... its bad but not as bad as (I forgot his name, he plays acoustic guitar all by himself, and looks like he's about to cry all the time).

:angry: Saffell

I loved reading this post, what a hoot. Talk about a buncha charachters! :P

I already explained this once but not to its entirety. I was once at a church whose preacher had license plates that said "SKYPILOT". I always thought that was kinda cool. Preachers are known by some as "skypilots", and it turned out, he actually was a small plane pilot. When it came time to figure out a moniker, I had always wanted to be a pilot but the only thing I flew was a pc, hence "pcpilot". Little minds make little connections I guess... :lol: Please keep in mind it has NOTHING to do with political correctness, hehe.

I have a second rarely used nik given to me by my best freinds back in my wooley youth. I was hardcore redneck, country, rodeo, shotgun, two-fisted tequila sorta guy, who after a long nite of partying, didnt look so good in the morning. We were sitting around a campfire one particularily cold morning. I had a lousy nites sleep because the stars had really been spinning because of the booze and a rock under my sleeping bag was in my butt so I couldnt get comfortable all nite. I woke up, hair in disarray, sore, cranky, and some fool handed me a bowl of oatmeal, not my number one brealfast food. At the same time, someone snapped a picture and said I looked like an axe murderer. But Danial, my "best" friend, said "No, He looks like a hillbilly after a bad nite. He looks like "Racketyjack". Everybody cracked up. Me I just withdrew to my oatmeal grumbling how Id use an axe on the poor idiot that called me that. Well, that was all anyone needed of course...My first name is jeff and a lot of people know me as JB. So it wasnt hard for everyone to start calling me Jack, which my closest friends do to this day, some 20 years later. My other online name and email uses "Racketyjack".

Long winded sucker aint I? Us southern boys love to tell a story, hehe. ;)

Dang! Oatmeal! That stuff will kill a Southern boy! Gotta feed 'em GRITS!!!

Y'all hurry back now, 'ya heah? :)

Mine callsign is very easy. Coming from the Netherlands (the Dutch) was mine name gaven by Dice and (I thought) Goose. The called me on the first forum of Dice Dutchy. And I still using it. So Dice, thanks for mine callsign. :D

But Duchty is not always nice word, when you say: "pass the Dutchy" or "double Dutch". And when I say as a Dutchman to you when you go on vacation. "nice trip". :rolleyes:

But I am glad with the callsign that I have.

Salute

Dutchy

OK back when Fighters anthology was hot, and USAF was just coming out me and my buddy started flying online, we bought 3 copies of Janes USAF from EB (the day it came out!) and went to JCN to sign up. My knickname is Jimmy T (kinda boring) so I asked my buddy what they called him at work...he worked as a foreman in a lumber yard and replied "Biglog", so knowing that we were going to be a flight of three flying from the loft in my garage he became Biglog, I Biglog1, and his brother was Biglog2.

Well when we got around to being recruited in USAF for Squadron fun we ended up Ho's, but the catch was the name had to start with Big_ then the next word had to start with a B, so Big_Biglog1_Ho made no sense, so we shifted to the Beer/ Brew crew. I became Big_Beer_Ho, and my buddy Big_Brew_Ho.

After the Ho's left Janes USAF Fates invited us to the ODB and we have been Big_Beer_ODB and Big_Brew_ODB, but we have kinda dropped the Big over time.

Thats my story and I'm Sticking to it.

Cheers

Beer

Hmmmm, my first callsign in Jane's Combat Net flying USAF was Hoosier469. I wasn't really thinking at the time, but I had used the name in AOL for a couple years and the actual meaning was that I'm from Indiana (Hoosier) and at the time I was living near the I-469 bypass around Ft Wayne, IN. ;)

When I joined the (virtual) 87th Fighter Interceptor Squadron almost four years ago I was going to go by Hoosier_87FIS but at the time in JCN your callsign couldn't be longer than 12 characters so I had to choose something one letter shorter. Since I had been a crew chief on F-4G Wild Weasels in the Air Force, I chose Weasel. B)

Now, depending on which MP game I play I either go by Weasel_87FIS in flight sims, Weasel_Keeper or just plain Weasel in ground pounders (AAO, BF42, RTCW ET).

Adding a little to Big_Beer's post, I did a small stint in the HOs before joining the 87FIS as Big_Balls_Ho...so my evil side could show through just a little. :lol:

I had a big problem in the navy, I really liked midrats.lol Something about going to the galley around midnight after flight ops and getting a slider and some bug juice that just made it worth the trip. I was there so much (almost nightly) that one of the pilots I flew with saw me in the galley and started calling me "snacky". I guess it was supposed to sound like one of the little rascals or something.lol

From that point on I was snacky and I had no say in the matter.lol

Once I started flying online I originally was going to use "snacky" and in some cases I will use it, but online is different than real world where you want something that sounds cool online, not dorky like "snacky".

After thinking about it for a while I chose Seawolf and although a lot of folks always ask me if I am a bubblehead (submarine guy) and that does have something to do with it, the real reason is because my old squadron VS27 Seawolves was decommisioned shortly after I left the Navy so I figured it was a cool name to use in honor of my old squadron. Ever since the days of Fighters Anthology and later on to Janes Combat net I have used Seawolf and its stuck.

The way I aquired " Instigator "... Well when I retired from the Navy in 91' I came home and one of my old friends for some reason started calling me Instigator.. I can't remember what I must have started..Anyway.. Years later when I realy got into the virtual flying scene starting with Jane's Navy Fighter's 97' or Janes' ATF...I started using that Nick...which has stuck from then on.. I like the name and I have no thoughts of ever changing it....

Instigator