Sign in to follow this  
Baywing

Beware the Strutters

My Jasta 21 flight ran across a flight of 4 Strutters last night. I engaged the last in line, and dispatching them in reverse order, worked my way to the lead plane. They didn't engage, except defensively, which was fine by me, I needed an easy mission for a change. On the third one, I was climbing from below and behind him, figuring I was safe from his rear gunner. I took a couple of hits in the outer wings, but nothing serious, so I chalked it up to me being a little to one side. When I got to the flight leader (the last to perish!) I was very careful to line up at about a 45 degree angle below him, and directly on his axis. Next thing I know, I'm taking all kinds of hits. It seemed like he was firing thru his plane! I traded fire, I figured I had to take him out at this point or get shot to pieces trying to turn or dive away. I did get him, and limped home with moderate damage. I always thought below and behind was relatively safe from fire, but I guess there is no safety in war.

Good report, Baywing!

Don't know for the Strutter, but when they have the gun mounted on a ring,

they can move it to one side, and fire almost down behind themselves.

Almost no dead angle.

I've learned the hard way that two-seaters can be VERY dangerous opponents. Well, except the Quirks... Often it doesn't take many hits from the observer's MG to damage the attacking aircraft so badly that it has to stop it's attack - I've noticed the engine in Albatross is particularly vulnerable to damage, or maybe I've just been very unlucky.

Different to dogfights, the rear gunner's fire always hits your crate from the front.

And a running engine is something very vulnerable. These rounds went right into

it's interior. What would you expect to happen, when it turns with some thousand

rpm?

The Strutter is, in my opinion, the "uber" fighter plane of the Allied side (I don't fly Hun).

My current Strutter pilot (top Australian ace Bob Little; I alwats fly real historical pilots) has 16 missions in 13 days with 34 kills.

He made a forced landing (ground fire) behind enemy lines but escaped in two days. Other than that, he hasn't been scratched.

There isn't another Allied plane as deadly.

The F2b is a close second. My current Brisfit pilot is Keith Park (who commanded 11 Group in the Battle of Britain in WWII and was played by Trevor Howard in the movie). He has 42 kills in 36 missions and was shot down only once.

Of you haven't tried the two seaters, the Strutter and the F2b (in their respective time periods during the war) can take on seemingly overwhelming numbers of Boche fighters and always get home with multiple victories.

And both carry pretty hefty bomb loads for those rail depots and airfields (unless you're too much of a wimp to conduct ground attacks).

In an online WWI sim I flew quite a few years ago (Dawn of Aces, a MMP), the (all human against all human opponents) squad I was in flew only F2bs. If we had had Strutters available for earlier in the war, I'm sure we would have flown them, too. And, yes, we ruled the virtual skies in those two-seat fighters!

If I were a German, I would not mess with them :nono:

ttt

Edited by tttiger

Hello,

i might as well say "beware the Brisfits" !

They do not only fly on patrolling with their observer shooting at you, but break formation and attack ! If you're in front of him you'll be peppered by the front mg, and as soon as you're behind ... :rolleyes:

And they even outturn an Albatros even if they don't look as if they could turn very well - but according to the witness reports it was indeed a very good turner !

After an initial catastrophy, when the first squadron of brand-new Brisfits flew straight on after a german attack, they were all shot down. However strategy was changed and the pilots were now told to actively attack - after this the aggressive Brisfits became the horror of the german scouts.

I guess this will be THE plane if flying for the crumpets - and i like its bizarre design very much.

The "Harry Tate" is not that vicious, i found if attacking from above with great speed the observer did not hit me - but as a general rule: Never stay behind a two-seater, not even for a moment ... :wink:

Greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels

Guess I got too used to sneaking up on Zeros in HOTP and CFS2. The Jap 2 seaters were a piece of cake from below and behind, they stay in formation, too. All you have to do is swing in behind and low and knock them down like swatting mosquitoes. Seems certain things in WW1 were actually better than later on.

Never mess with Strutters, I say, too.

The FE2b is not that difficult. I could down 4 of those with my Albatros DII, within 4 minutes!

But when I see Strutters, I let them pass, and hope they do the same with me.

They really attack sometimes; and there are even aces amongst them!

Never mess with Strutters, I say, too.

The FE2b is not that difficult. I could down 4 of those with my Albatros DII, within 4 minutes!

But when I see Strutters, I let them pass, and hope they do the same with me.

They really attack sometimes; and there are even aces amongst them!

LOL, Olham. :haha:

There is a HUGE difference between an FE2b:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/gbritain/raf_fe2.php

and an F2b:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/gbrit...bristol_f2b.php

Spend more time researching and less time posting and you might learn some stuff and know what you're talking about. :dntknw:

But, hey, if you want to attack a Brisfit with your Tros II, knock yourself out... :tomato2:

The RFC will bury you with full honors :salute:

ttt

Edited by tttiger

LOL, Olham. :haha:

Spend more time researching and less time posting and you might learn some stuff and know what you're talking about. :dntknw:

But, hey, if you want to attack a Brisfit with your Tros II, knock yourself out... :tomato2:

The RFC will bury you with full honors :salute:

ttt

Play nice, TTT. LOL

I love it when you share your huge wealth of knowledge us. Thank you. I am serious, this community has so much to give and I appreciate your contributions. Please keep your "gems" coming. I am learning to overlook your sarcasm. :good:

OlPaint01

WRT rear fire angles and the FE2b...

I noticed early on in the first days of OFF3 that the observer in the FE2b could fire to the rear and below THROUGH the engine! Literally, I saw tracers coming from the engine when I tried a sneaking approached from below in an Alb DII.

This definitely ain't right given the pusher arrangement; I could *perhaps* see the tractor config and ring mount shooting down (a la 1.5 strutter), but not FE2b....

I figured this would be solved with a future patch (even think there was an early thread), and I haven't flown for Olham's side for a while, so maybe it hasn't been addressed???

Edited by Venator

Bah! TTTiger; I don't care so much for the type names - I shoot them down.

But you must admit, the names are a bit confusing. And off course I met FE2bs,

with my Albatros DII, in 1916.

But now you made me curious about the Bristol F2b - I just started a second career

in Jasta 11, in April 1917. There, I will meet this plane sooner or later.

Have you got any good tips, how to attack it? Or should I do the same like with the

Sopwith Strutter - leave it alone?

Edited by Olham

F2b is one of the deadliest A/C in WWI Olham, best to tuck your tail between your legs and run...

And don't try the, "Oh, I don't care to see them today" approach :smile:

I just tried a few QCs in an F2b after reading this thread, and it was great fun! The game's implementation of the plane is amazing. It feels solid, but still very nimble. It's also really satisfying to hear a gun behind you and know that the bullets are going in an outward direction.

I may fly this one for awhile. I'm glad I read this thread. :yes:

But now you made me curious about the Bristol F2b - I just started a second career

Have you got any good tips, how to attack it? Or should I do the same like with the

Pol, great video. I know you had a lot to do with getting the FB2a into the OFF plane set!

Olham,

The short answer is: Avoid it :diablo:

I've flown all the German planes just to see what I'm up against. You should try the Allied planes just to see what they can (and can't) do.

Try flying the F2b in a campaign. Or even QC.

Really.

I'll bet you fall in love with it. It may even lure you back from The Dark Side. :rofl:

It's my favorite WWI fighter (although I actually score better in the Strutter). It's among the fastest, has a great rate of climb, turns very well, great firepower (Thanks for the twin guns, Pol!), and you can power dive it straight down. Sort of an SE5a on steroids with a twin stinger in it's tail.

They were so good (and durable) the RAF kept them in service well into the 1930s as trainers, much longer than any other WWI fighter.

I apologize for any sarcasm. It is the lowest form of humor. But it's the only humor I have... :rolleyes:

ttt

Edited by tttiger

Hello,

another nice video, the vicious mgs are very good to see here in flight, second half of the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UIIEdkYUU...feature=related

Can anyone explain what this lorry with the steel-axle joining with the propellor centre of the static Brisfit, is for ?

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels

Here is another impressive vid with dramatic music - this one gives you

a real good flying feeling. This plane is so impressive and confident looking,

I will start a British campaign with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzhUFePm3n0...feature=related

Tttiger, the lowest (and most common) form of humour is malicious joy, IMHO.

The highest - according to Caplin - is, when you can laugh about yourself.

Maybe, we're all rather low ranking then, cause I find that mostly pretty hard to do.

Edited by Olham

Hallo Olham,

"Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude, weil sie von Herzen kommt" :biggrin:

Naja, nicht wirklich lol

Catfish

Hallo, Wels! Wasfliegst Du zur Zeit?

I just made my first sortie with a Bristol fighter, in 1918. We were attacked by 4 Albatros D Va.

Our flight, and 3 Albs went towards the deck. Up above only my Bristol, and one Albatros, from

Jasta 71. He was really fast underway, and I found it hard to hit him at all. I had taken over the

rear gunner position. My pilot turned like mad, and this plane is very agile! He even made an

attack twice with his forward guns, and hit the Alb!

Me, I got a few rounds into him, but the Albatros is quite tough and didn't show much reaction.

He even rammed us, demolishing our right wing tips.

Can't say, if he broke off or began to show damage, but he went away, and we made it home

safe. If you like helter skelters: this is it!

Hello Olham,

we just made a short bicycle tour (MS bicycle simulator 9.0 with the new mod and TrackIR is soo immersive lol).

I am with the Halberstadt - i think there are no separate models for the D.II or .III, but offficially it is the II, october 1916 with Jasta 5 (not yet named J5, but KEK irgendetwas).

I have to be very close to hit, otherwise i need the tracers to show the line of fire, and thus waste a lot of ammo just for getting the aim right. As well the bird is really jumpy, i need a very smooth hand to keep anything in the gunsight. And to make things worse there IS no gunsight .. :dntknw:

S!

J5_Wels

Yes, vision sucks on the Halby. I flew it some time ago, but didn't last long against Nupes.

But I remember, it climbed pretty good!

I'll try it again, when I got better.

I have just lost my Albatros DII pilot (Sept. 1916) in a collision - I was too greedy for the kill, again!

After that, I had a wonderful excursion into the Marne bend area near my field Bonneuil Ferme.

We (I, flying a D Va in April 1918) destroyed a ballon, and flew home again - and all "without crutches"

(see that threat of same name).

It was so immersive - I'll continue doing that.

Olham and others, I flew the F2b this morning for the first time. Quite an experience. Utterly amazing, I would say. I am flying with the 48 RFC and I was killed on my second mission. My gunner was very good but when I took over and switched from pilot the the gunner position it all went to hell and a handbasket. Now this is a challenge that I must stay with. Give it a try fellows

Can anyone explain what this lorry with the steel-axle joining with the propellor centre of the static Brisfit, is for ?

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Catfish:

I believe this is a mechanism for starting the engine, rather than have some poor "Erk" have to pull the prop by hand.

Tony