Sign in to follow this  
Typhoid

Break of Naval Air

in the you tube parts of the awesome ordy videos were these Breaks of Naval Air

:blink:

Edited by Typhoid

I would say "cool vids" but that it looks like half the folks in 'em got killed. Rather, thanks for posting these vids, and here's hoping mistakes can be learned from.

OUCH ... most effective Air Force recruiting video.

In the first video, the Phantom flying low...just blows up big time? Any ideas there?

Thanks for sharing.

I recall the stories behind a few of those, but not most. No idea why the Phantom blew up.

We used to call them "DOR" flicks, (Drop On Request) and show them during indoctrination into Navy flight school.

there would often be quite a few........

(they usually went AF)

:biggrin:

Edited by Typhoid

(they usually went AF)

:biggrin:

hehe good filtration device. I always said that hischool football was the first line filter for the Navy. So many guys told me...they say the same thing.

"I was gonna fly Tomcats but I messed up my knees"

AF recruiting video...yeah right. Buried more than a few friends in the supposedly 'easier' USAF.

As far as why the Phantom blew up...it was a PIO...he exceeded the structural G limits on a high speed flyby.

FC

Never knew they let Tu-16's get this close to a carrier.

wow - dont you just hate it when you eject and the plane misses the water and starts climbing!

Guest 531_Ghost
OUCH ... most effective Air Force recruiting video.

In the first video, the Phantom flying low...just blows up big time? Any ideas there?

Thanks for sharing.

Well, if I were a bettin' man, I'd say a #6 fuel cell leak. Lost an aircrew to one. :sorry:

Guest 531_Ghost
wow - dont you just hate it when you eject and the plane misses the water and starts climbing!

Happened at MCAS El Toro about a year before I checked aboard VMFA-531. The A4 Pilot ejected at the end of the runway on approach, and the plane actually circled the pattern! Later to crash at the pull up bars on the PFT field/Gym! :blink:

Did anyone read the remarks on the Youtube pages regarding these videos ? Most were posted it seems by people with absolutely no knowledge or experience with NAVAIR let alone the military. Case in point the scenes of the birds still flying are the crew punched out. I remember seeing Navy Safety posters concerning ejection, the catch phrase was almost always "KNOW WHEN TO GO". Even if you told those idiots better to lose the airplane than the crew they will always come back about "wasting" taxpayer money.

The worst I ever saw was a bridle break on an F-4J. FODed the engines and the crew punched out as they crossed the bow. Both okay thank God. It was surreal watching the cat shuttle accelerate away from the Phantom while said bird was actually slowing down.

I have a book called "No Easy Days" by Douglas Keeny and William Butler. Page after page of pictures of some of the damndest carrier mishaps.

These videos brought the book to mind in a heartbeat.

Watching that RA-5 flop about scared the freakin $h!t outta me. Aviation is a dangerous business that is not for everyone that is for sure!

Edited by ironroad

Im just wondering why they cant upgrade the audio/video in the military, I meen the screeching and such would drive me nuts within an hour if I had to listen to it for any length of time,,

Did anyone read the remarks on the Youtube pages regarding these videos ?

[\quote]

Think that applies to nearly all you tube pages unfortunately - I just ignore it - I don't have a signon anyway tbh.

Happened at MCAS El Toro about a year before I checked aboard VMFA-531. The A4 Pilot ejected at the end of the runway on approach, and the plane actually circled the pattern! Later to crash at the pull up bars on the PFT field/Gym! :blink:

Happened at MCAS Yuma, AZ too.... Both Pilots Ejected and the Aircraft flew for about 15 Mins. until crashing. VMFAT-101 Bird.(F-4's) It was one of the most amazing things I saw while in Service. I was on the Flightline loading Mk.82's. Then We stopped and watched the "Air Show"........

Edited by 331Killerbee

To paraphrase Monroe "Hawk" Smith: Take that 1000lbs out of the nose and the plane can turn into a rocket ship. In his case, part of a two-ship of Tomcats on the waist catapults, his wingman had a cold cat, and the Tomcat limped off the bow, falling from view, the crews punching out immediately after. About a second later, the F-14 comes back into view rocketing straight up vertical, still in Zone 5, flips on its back, and heads right for "Hawk" and his RIO. The crewless Tomcat just misses the side of the ship and crashes into the water, the subsequent splash gets "Hawk's" plane wet.

Had the crew not punched out, "Hawk" estimated the extra weight of both crew, seats and canopy would've likely cost the Navy not only the plane, but also the aircrew. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was a similar situation with those planes shown in those videos, but of course, there are going to be people who say "Derrr! \/\/|-|47 4 n00b! Waste 0ph +4><paier muniez! My 1337 skillz c0uld ha3v pfl0wn it out!" They are sometimes called idiots, or in Latin "stulti."

Edited by Caesar

Why are there no ejection seats on the C-2? Is it the same with the E-2C as well?

when i saw the videos i was in shock...

some of the accidents are insane

sorry for all the life that were lost

<S>

RIP to all those brave aircrews who didn't make it

As for the airplanes flying on after the crew ejects, I read a story once about a British Harrier or Sea Harrier, I don't remember exactly which, cruising along when the Rolls-Royce Pegasus stalled, again I don't remember why. Anyway, on a single engine craft the "Engine Out" emergency check-list is very easy to remember 'cause it only has one item: EJECT!

Pilot did so and guess what: it cleared the stall. Afterwards the aircraft flew on, straight and true, at the same altitude until it ran out of fuel and crashed. Apparently the pilot commented: "When I trim an aircraft, it stays trimmed!"

Why are there no ejection seats on the C-2? Is it the same with the E-2C as well?

there are no ejections seats in the E-2

What happened to the Phantom at 4:16 in part 1? There looks to be a puff of smoke or something right before it leaves the deck, then another one shortly after before they punch out...

EDIT: I remember seeing that Tracker launching into a wave a while ago and thinking it a goner for sure! Stunning... :blink:

Damn... definitely the saddest part of naval aviation, the accidents... Didn't know the A-6 and EA-6 were that prone to bad take-offs... lack of power perhaps? If they had A/B'ing engines...

All set with those, watched the 1st couple and realized it was a bit dark for my taste, but people eat em up good find.